Richard Seltzer's home page  Publishing home

Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings

Chapter 63: The Beacons Are Lit! Rohan Rides for Gondor.

A Fanfiction by: John the Visionary, Docwho4243@aol.com


This is a work in progress (not yet complete). It is the best combination of anime and Lord of the Rings that I've seen yet,  which is why I asked John for permission to post it here.  Enjoy.  Tim Seltzer


John's Disclaimer: Disclaimer: The Lord of the Rings and RK are not mine. They belong to their authors, respectively J.R.R. Tolkien and Watsuki Nobuhiro. This fanfiction is created just for fun, not for any commercial purposes.


Summary: Here it is folks, a crossover between Rurouni Kenshin and Lord of the Rings. In this Kenshin & company defend middle earth and at the same time help a certain hobbit destroy the ring of power. 

The climb on Ephel Dúath had begun, with Frodo in the lead, followed by Kaoru and Gollum, then Sam and Yahiko in the rear. Upon a ledge on higher ground, Gollum fixed a complementing look on the travelers.

"Keep climbing, keep climbing," said Gollum encouragingly, "it's a very long climb up ahead, yesss. First are the straight stairs, next come the winding stairs. Up, up, up the stairs we go, and then, it's into the tunnel."

"Hey," interjected Sam, inquiring, "what's in this tunnel?"

Gollum turned to Sam and answered in ridicule, "doesn't the fat one already know? A dark terror kind Master Faramir said."

"Yeah, Faramir told us alright," Yahiko broke in, "but he didn't explain very clearly. So since you seem to be the only one who passed through this way, we're curious to know exactly what this terror is. And from what Sam and I were hearing earlier… it’s a 'she', isn't that right, creepy?"

Gollum then tried to hop onto the stairs while with Frodo and Kaoru climbing up ahead, but Sam quickly grabbed the creature and pinned him to the wall.

"You listen up, and you listen good and proper," Sam gritted in warning to Gollum, "anything happens to Frodo, you have me to answer to."

"That goes double for me, if something happens to Kaoru," Yahiko added his warnings, "you may have fooled her and Frodo easily, but you're not fooling me and Sam. And we definitely know that you're not going to let us take the ring over this mountain without making some kind of trouble."

"So if we sniff out that something's not right, or even one hair stands up on the back of our heads, its over. No more Slinker… no more Stinker, you're gone… got it?" Sam ominously ended, "we're watching you."

"Don't forget creepy," Yahiko threateningly included, as he and Sam went to climb the stairs.

Frodo and Kaoru looked down at Yahiko and Sam, witnessing what happened with them and Gollum down below.

"What was that all about?" asked Frodo.

"Nothing," Sam simply answered, "just clearing something up."

"Like reminding the creep of his promises," clarified Yahiko a little.

Gollum stood where he was, looking up at Sam and Yahiko with fixed, sinister eyes… as if he was going to do some 'watching' of his own, before climbing up the steps to join the others.


With the people of Kyoto, filled with fear, seeing the deathly pale signal of Mordor flashing in the mountains, Radagast and Okina immediately went for the police headquarters to tell Yamagata and Kawaji the grave danger that lay ahead for them all.

"You mean that light in the sky some time ago was a signal?" asked Kawaji.

"Indeed," said Radagast, "we must make immediate preparations. First order of business is to empty this city. It is too vulnerable for a ground attack. This city has no walls, and is no fortress."

"It might take a while to empty the whole city, Radagast," explained Yamagata, "not to mention that we might have to explain our reasons."

"Well, you've had those attacks that occurred," mentioned Radagast, "why not use that as your cover story."

Yamagata thought a moment, then nodded in reply, "yes, I think that might work, though many might become suspicious."

"Doesn't everybody?" Okina interjected, "besides, you people are very good in keeping things secret. And keeping secret of the Ring's whereabouts is the most important thing we must do right now, as Radagast said."

"But from what Radagast has told us the last time we met," said Kawaji, "this enemy called Sauron believes that two children have the ring."

"Or rather he suspects it so, Kawaji," Radagast cleared up, "Ayame and Suzume were foolish to try and mess with things that they didn't understand. But, fortunately, in a way, it gives us the time we need for the actual Ringbearer to complete his task. Not to mention, there was another, back in my world who was mistaken for the Ringbearer, a Hobbit called Peregrin Took."

"What are these Hobbits?" asked Yamagata.

"…I shall explain for another time," said Radagast, not willing to change the subject, "for now, we must prepare for battle as we escort the people out of this city and out of danger. How many forces do you have, police and army?"

"We have about 12,000 total," answered Yamagata.

"It won't be enough," assessed Radagast fearfully, "Sauron's armies are nearly ten times the amount that you have. And before you tell me about your weapons, I know what they are and of their capabilities, though the peoples of Middle-Earth may not understand them. And indeed, I do not like the look of them.

"These, 'gatling guns' that you have seem irritating to me, though they might strike down the enemy a lot quicker. The cannons that you have would rival a catapult firing its stones. But do not grow too proud of your own machinations, for Sauron's might is even stronger than you know. And his army is still greater than you can imagine. In case your weapons aren't enough. Gandalf and I arranged for some more help, courtesy of the Lady of Lothlorien."

"You've arranged for some help, huh?" a voice came from behind the wizard…

Radagast turned to see two strangers in Samurai armor. One had red-clad armor, with his face covered with the mask of a wild beast, the other had blue-armor and carried his helmet in his arms. The samurai had black hair, and had an imposing expression upon his face, as though he was incapable of trust. Some police officers were about to rush to face the strangers, but Yamagata held them back, for he knew that this wasn't the time for quarreling.

Radagast then spoke to the strangers, "…yes. But if you wish to offer your assistance, we will welcome it."

"Thank you," said the Red Samurai, "I've come here at the wishes of Tsunan Tsukioka. He told me where you were, if your name is Radagast the Brown."

"Indeed, you have found him," Radagast replied, bowing, "so, you're the one who Katsu contacted."

"Yes," the samurai answered sternly, "my samurai and I are prepared to help defend Kyoto, but it is not for politicians, and we don't do it for money… we only wish to keep this city safe from the danger that is upon us, the enemy known as Sauron."

"It seems you know much of what's happening," said Okina.

"Of course," replied the Red Samurai, "although some of my people find it hard to believe."

"Like I do," interjected the blue armored Samurai, "this whole story seems so fantastic. But then these monster attacks involved a friend of mine. I cannot stand by to see any more of my friends die. I wish to crush these monsters you call Orcs."

"Indeed we all wish to send these foul creatures into the void," said Radagast gruffly, "but the Orcs have allies, and they consist of men. Not only will you be fighting Orcs, but you will also be fighting Men, as you have always done throughout the ages."

"Do you know how many enemies we will fight?" asked the Red Samurai.

"Not really… but they shall number like the stars," Radagast said forebodingly.

Everyone gasped at this startling revelation, even the two Samurai. It seems that this battle would not be that easy…

"…I only have about 3000 Samurai with me," informed the Red Samurai, "a portion of my men will stay here in Kyoto to help along in the battle, while I gather the rest of our forces to assist you, if conditions are worse."

"Understood," said Yamagata.

"And if you're all inquiring about the help I'm sending over," interjected Radagast, "they are all consisted of another race, not Men, but Elves."

"Elves?" asked the blue-armored Samurai.

"Indeed, young man," answered Radagast with a bright twinkle in his eye, "back in my world, Elves and Men allied themselves with each other to defeat Sauron over 3000 years ago. And now, here in Kyoto… Men and Elves will fight alongside one another to contend against Sauron."

While Radagast had the cooperation of the Japanese forces, as well as many of the Samurai…


Denethor refused to give his cooperation and support to summon aid from Rohan. And so there was no time to waste at Minas Tirith, as Gandalf, Aoshi, and Pippin immediately rushed out, striding through the city, trying to find cover from the guards…

"Peregrin Took, my lad," Gandalf said to Pippin, "there is a task now to be done. Another opportunity for one of the Shire-folk to prove their great worth."

The trio then passed an alleyway and Gandalf knelt down in front of Pippin as he pointed upwards. Pippin then saw what Gandalf was pointing at and gasped with fright…

"You must not fail me," said Gandalf, "…Aoshi, go with him."

"Right, Gandalf," Aoshi nodded.

Pippin also nodded with a face of understanding and ran off with Aoshi, towards a rocky tower, just above the citadel, that was housing one of the beacons of Gondor…

All was quiet in Osgiliath, shrouded by a mist of darkness, after facing a massive attack from the Orcs days passed. The guards of Gondor paced around the city like restless sentinels. Many of the soldiers were sharpening their swords and eating their bread. Faramir, captain of Gondor, brother to Boromir, walked about the city as he came up to Madril, who stood with an unsettling look about the misty city…

"Its been very quiet across the river," Madril reported forbodingly, "the Orcs are lying low. The garrison may have moved out."

Madril turned to Faramir and informed him, "…we've sent scouts to Cair Andros. If the Orcs attack from the north, we'll have some warning."

But something began stirring within the mists…

As Orc-boats began to cross the river slowly… and quietly, attempting to make their assault upon Osgiliath. They paddled very slowly as if they wanted to take Gondor's armies by surprise…

The Orc commander, Gothmog, a particularly deformed Orc, one side of his face seemingly melted, gazed about in impatience, as he intended to kill many Men, with much pleasure and satisfaction on his part. Suddenly… one of the Orcs made an audible noise while rowing…

"…Quiet!" Gothmog growled silently to his soldier…

"We need 10 more," said one of the soldiers, asking for more supplies… as they were all completely unaware of the incoming yet silent wave of enemy forces that would soon storm upon their shores.

One of the men that stood guard by a window, suddenly looked out and took a peek, thinking that there was something out there. The soldier took a closer look… and gasped, seeing that boats filled with Orcs were crossing the river. Unfortunately… the Orcs spotted him as well…

"Kill him!" Gothmog ordered…

And an arrow was shot at the Gondorian soldier that spotted them, striking him in the upper chest. The soldier tumbled down the stairs behind the window, startling everyone in the city, as they all gathered around their fallen comrade.

Faramir and Madril heard the sudden commotion, and ran amongst the crowds to see what all the alarm was about. Faramir then stood in front of the crowd… seeing the downed soldier, with the Orc arrow in his chest…

"…They're not coming from the North," Faramir gasped in frightened realization, then ran to his men crying out silently, "to the river, quick! Quick!"

"Go, go! Come on! Come on!" the soldiers said silently to one another as they hustled to the river, gathering their weapons in hand for battle…

"…Faster!" Gothmog gruffly instructed…

And the Orcs rowed a bit more swiftly, but still full of stealth despite being discovered. Many boats there were upon the river, carrying hundreds… perhaps thousands of Orcs…

The Gondorian soldiers hastily quickened their pace to the river, readying themselves sternly, when the Orcs would land upon the quays…

"…Draw swords!" commanded Gothmog as the Orcs drew their weapons, to prepare for the attack…

Faramir and the Gondorian soldiers reached the quays of the city… and quickly hid behind the stone walls, keeping out of sight of the boats. Some of them had just woke up and had no time to put on their full gear. But despite that… they were willing to face the enemy head on, to defend Osgiliath to their final breaths, setting up their positions upon the walls… as the Orc rafts drew ever closer, to the shore…

Faramir continued to stand quietly… yet fearlessly, behind the walls… as he looked to Madril, who nodded his readiness for battle…

The first wave of Orcs on their boats settled upon the city, dropping the front ramps of their boats, splashing into the shallow waters… and immediately rushed into the city…

Faramir and his men waited idly by for a few, brief moments, letting the Orcs pass them by before beginning their surprise attack, to counter the invasion. More of the Orcs poured into Osgiliath, unsuspecting of the Gondorian soldiers that were hiding behind the walls…

The valiant captain of Gondor prepared himself… as he took a deep breath…

And gallantly sprang out to engage the enemy. The Gondorians struck back hard, countering the massive battalions that engulfed the city. But more boats settled upon the shore… unleashing more of the vicious enemy soldiers upon the defenders of Osgiliath.

"Hold! Hold them!" the Gondorians, cried out, maintaining their ardor to keep Osgiliath safe, striking down the soldiers of Mordor.

Yet… it seemed as if the Orcs had completely surrounded the Gondorian defenders, beating them down with their clubs and stabbing them with their blades. However, Faramir continued boldly to protect Osgiliath, as his brother Boromir had once done, before he died.

And if the Orcs by the shores of Osgiliath weren't enough trouble…

More Orcs had entered another part of the city, from another boat… and began to pour into the city from the bridge. Saving Osgiliath was clearly going to be more difficult than what Faramir had first anticipated…


Pippin and Aoshi continued to climb the rocky tower, to the beacon of Minas Tirith. The climb was toiling for the pair, as they tried to stay out of sight from the sentries that guarded the signal by climbing over behind the rock.

Aoshi stopped where he was as he told Pippin, "Pippin, you climb up, while I hide here in case the guards should see or hear you."

Pippin nodded and began to climb carefully and quickly up the structure of the beacon, upon the pile of wood that made up the fuel for the fire, to carry out the task of lighting it, to summon Rohan. Aoshi set himself firmly upon a ledge, watching the guards intently…

Gandalf looked up at the tower, keeping close watch on the beacon where Aoshi and Pippin were. Then the guards began to pass by the wizard. He bowed in greeting before them to throw off suspicion…

Aoshi looked up at Pippin a few times as he did with the soldiers who were guarding the beacon. Luckily they were sitting near the door, many paces away from the beacon, having a bite to eat. Pippin was standing on top of the pile of wood, also watching the guards warily before reaching for a lit oil lamp that was hung above a large cauldron of oil that was hanging in suspension, upon on a chain, right over the wood. But it was a bit higher than he thought, so Pippin had one hand on the edge of the cauldron so he could reach up to the lamp.

With some effort…

One of the ropes clumsily broke off, letting the cauldron drop, spilling the oil into the wood, making a little noise. Fearing that the sound may have been heard, Pippin and Aoshi swiftly turned their gazes on the soldiers. Apparently… they didn't hear a thing. Aoshi was greatly relieved to see that the soldiers still didn't notice their presence.

Satisfied with his stealth, Pippin took the lamp from the hanging chain, and dropped it onto the oil-soaked pile of wood, lighting the fire. The Hobbit smiled brightly to the thought of his accomplished mission…

"Pippin!" Aoshi called to Pippin.

Pippin looked to Aoshi, who gestured to the wood that the Hobbit just set on fire. The Hobbit then noticed that the fire was spreading quickly and climbed down from the burning pile, heeding Aoshi's warning, before he got burned himself…

Moments later…

"What?" the guards gasped in alarm as they jumped up so suddenly…

And witnessed for themselves that the whole beacon was engaged… done from right under their noses all this time. The fire roared and burned brightly like wildfire as Pippin and Aoshi climbed down from the blazing beacon.

"Well done, Peregrin Took," Aoshi said, congratulating Pippin.

"Oh, it was nothing, Aoshi," replied Pippin.

Gandalf smiled brightly seeing the beacon on fire. The wizard then rushed off towards a balcony, looking towards the mountains…

"…Amon Dîn," Gandalf said to himself…

And another fire illuminated from the peak of the White Mountains, the beacon of Amon Dîn. The guards rushed out to see the beacon afire.

"The beacon!" the guards called out, "the beacon of Amon Dîn is lit!"

Denethor, seeing the beacon lit from a window, backed away, sneering and grimacing angrily, suspiciously thinking and believing upon whom was responsible for it…

More of the guards gathered around Gandalf upon the balcony, witnessing with great awe of the lighting of their beacons.

"…Hope, is kindled," said Gandalf to himself, brightly…


With the beacons of Gondor lit, due to Hobbit mischief, whether by the Steward's will or not… Gondor's need was indeed dire. And so, the race to summon Rohan to Gondor's aid began from Amon Din…

To the beacon of Eilenach, where two beacon lighters saw the light, and one of them immediately took a torch from their campfire, rushed towards their beacon… and lit it in two spots, walking around the pile of wood, making sure the fire spread quickly, blazing as bright as day. Upon lighting the beacon… the two wards waved their arms alarmingly, hoping to get the attention of the beacon of Nardol…

Then… after a few brief moments…

The beacon of Nardol began to blaze as well…

It had been a long time since the beacons of Gondor were lit. In the ancient days of Gondor, they had the seven-seeing stones of the Palantiri. Now forced to revive their old, primitive means of communication, the beacons of Gondor were needed in this dark time of crisis. And so… the lighting of the beacons, in quick succession along the snowy mountains in the province of Anorien continued on westward from Minas Tirith to Edoras… both throughout the day and into the night, as one by one…

The beacon hills of Erelas…

Min-Rimmon…

Calendhad…

Halifirien…

And finally, the Beacon Hill of Firienwood, on the borders of Rohan was lit.

Morning fell upon Edoras, as Misao sat on top of one of the wooden roofs of the city, on the watch with Aragorn, who sat just below her, on the steps of a house. Misao then smelled something burning in the air…

And turned at the direction of the burning to see the beacon of Firienwood lighting as bright as the day and gasped.

She then turned to Aragorn as she called out, "Aragorn!"

Aragorn looked up at Misao, responding to her sudden and loud calls.

"Aragorn, look!" Misao cried as she pointed at the beacon.

Aragorn turned to see the burning beacon and stared at the light, gasping. Upon seeing the beacon of Gondor… he knew that the time for aid from Rohan had come…

"…Misao!" Aragorn called silently to her, gesturing her to come with him to the Golden Hall, where Théoden solemnly waited.

Misao quickly jumped to Aragorn as they both ran together, with all their strength mustered, towards the Golden Hall of Meduseld, running up the stairs, two at a time, passing the guards… and burst through the front doors of the Hall, startling everyone whom was in the Hall with Théoden…

"THE BEACONS OF MINAS TIRITH! THE BEACONS ARE LIT!" Aragorn hollered out loudly, running throughout the Hall, alongside with Misao.

Kenshin, Sanosuke, and Saito were in the Hall, along with Legolas, Gimli, Éowyn, and Éomer. They all gasped, hearing that the signals of Gondor were finally lit…

"Gondor calls for aid!" Aragorn added urgently as he and Misao, stopped in front of Théoden.

"…Théoden," Kenshin spoke earnestly to the king…

Théoden stared at Kenshin as silence followed within the Hall. The king was at first hesitant to be helpful to Gondor as Gandalf wanted him to be because Gondor did not help them at Helm's Deep…

One by one, Aragorn, Misao, Legolas, Saito, standing by a pillar with a smoking cigarette, Sanosuke, Gimli, Éowyn, and Éomer stared upon the king for his response as he mused to himself, whether he would help Gondor or not…

Théoden paused in his standing, moments more…

"…And Rohan will answer," Théoden proclaimed calmly, yet proudly, filling everyone with relief, "muster the Rohirrim!"

Éomer bowed before his uncle and went off to assemble the army of Rohan. Éowyn looked to Misao with relief as she stared back at her and nodded confidently with a fearless smile. The Lady of Rohan returned Misao's smile with her own.

"Yeah, alright!" exclaimed Sanosuke, cracking his fists together.

"Time to go to war," Saito said with an arrogant smirk, as he used the pillar, on which he stood, to put out his cigarette and threw it into the burning hearth.

GONG…!

GONG …!

GONG…!

GONG…!

A tower guard rang the war bell, calling forth every soldier of Rohan in Edoras. The Rohirrim immediately gathered their horses for battle at Minas Tirith. Théoden and Éomer, clad in their battle armor, exited the Hall, to join the riders.

"Assemble the army at Dunharrow," Théoden instructed to Éomer, "as many Men as can be found. You have two days."

Théoden then held his nephew's shoulder, adding strongly, "On the third, we ride for Gondor... and war."

Éomer nodded as he cried to the men, "forward!"

"Very good sir," replied the soldiers.

"Gamling," the king called to his other captain.

"My Lord," said Gamling.

"Make haste across the Riddermark," Théoden ordered Gamling, "summon every able-bodied man to Dunharrow."

"I will," replied Gamling, as he went off.

"King Théoden," Kenshin called to Théoden, coming out of the Golden Hall.

Théoden turned to Kenshin and replied, "…my Lord Kenshin."

"I never thought that you would agree to go to Gondor's aid," said Kenshin, "especially when you said that they did not come to your aid, that you did."

"We come from different worlds, you and I, Kenshin," mentioned Théoden, asking, "tell me, when you wandered throughout your world… did you protect your people, even if they did not help you?"

Kenshin paused for a moment before responding to Théoden's question, "…I've sworn never to kill anyone, always to protect them, no matter what the reason. So, it also applies to people who have never helped me before, that it does."

"…Then that's where you and I are alike Kenshin," Théoden said in agreement, "though, part of me still feels that we owe nothing to Gondor… we still would've come to its aid."

Kenshin nodded approvingly at Théoden, feeling that they both believed in the same principles.

"Excuse me," a voice called out…

Théoden and Kenshin looked down beside them… to see Merry Brandybuck standing stoutly with a sword clasped in both hands.

"I have a sword," pleaded Merry earnestly to Théoden, "please accept it."

"Sir Merry," said Kenshin in lightened bewilderment… as Théoden stepped forward in front of Merry.

Merry then knelt on one knee, setting the tip of his sword on the ground, imploring tenderly, "I offer you my service, Théoden-King."

Théoden turned to Kenshin, who had a smile on his face, then went down, grasping Merry's arm, standing him up once more.

"And gladly, I accept it," proclaimed Théoden, filling Merry with pride, "you shall be… Meriadoc, esquire of Rohan."

Merry smiled brightly as he rushed off to join the riders.

Sanosuke went up to Éomer, who was making ready to call for all riders of Rohan to gather at the camp of Dunharrow.

"Hey, Éomer," called out Sanosuke, "I just wanted to ask you something, could your guys make a weapon for me?"

"I thought that you liked fighting with fists," said Éomer in surprise, "do you wish for a sword now?"

"Its not just any kind of sword," clarified Sanosuke as he pulled out a piece of paper and gave it to Éomer.

As Éomer looked at it… his eyes widened in great apprehension and confusion, which didn't surprise Sanosuke all that much.

"…This is… its quite a great request, Sanosuke," blinked Éomer, sheepishly, turning to Sanosuke, "…are you sure you can manage such a tool?"

"Don't worry," assured Sanosuke, "I've handled one before, and I'm considered quite good at wielding it."

Éomer could see that Sanosuke wasn't bluffing and replied sternly, "then I'll be waiting to see you in action."

"That's great to hear," returned Sanosuke, with a great smirk.

Aragorn readied his horse, Brego to ride for Dunharrow. Éowyn had gotten a horse together also, bringing it out from the stables. Misao was with her as well, preparing to ride with her.

Aragorn turned to Éowyn as he asked, "…you ride with us?"

"Just to the encampment," answered Éowyn, "it's tradition for the Women of the Court to farewell the Men."

"And I'm getting a ride with Éowyn," added Misao, "the men here can be such knuckleheads. They were too busy saying, 'this was no place for women'. I may not look like much, but do I have to be considered as insignificant?"

Éowyn giggled a little, which made Misao a little angry.

"Éowyn please don't laugh," she said, rather embarrassed, "I'm not in the mood."

"Oh," replied an apologetic Éowyn, "please forgive me, Misao."

"Don't worry about it," smiled Misao.

Aragorn then glanced at the saddle blanket of Éowyn's horse… as he thought he saw something. He lifted the blanket… to reveal a hidden sword, to which Éowyn quickly hid again, as she snatched back the blanket, looking at Aragorn, very uneasily. Misao also looked a little worried, feeling that she wouldn't be able to fulfill her promise to Éowyn… to bring her to battle.

"The Men have found their captain," Éowyn sternly told Aragorn, "they will follow you into battle, even to death. You have given us hope."

After seeing Éowyn's concealed sword, he still had much respect for her and her willingness to go to battle, as he contemplated her words to himself.

However, many of the villagers of Rohan didn't feel that way as mothers held on to their children, trying to comfort them as they did at Helm's Deep. When all the Rohirrim at Edoras was assembled… Théoden looked off, at the dark-green banner with the white horse on it, with an unwelcoming sense of doom in him…

'So,' thought Théoden, forebodingly, 'it is before the walls of Minas Tirith… the doom of our time will be decided.'

As the remaining Rohirrim gathered on their horses, Éomer called out staunchly, "…now is the hour! Riders of Rohan… oaths you have taken! Now, fulfill them all, to lord and land! Ha!"

The Rohirrim rode swiftly out of Edoras, heading for Dunharrow to join alongside their fellow riders of Rohan. Kenshin, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Saito, and Sanosuke rode up front with Éomer and Théoden. Misao smiled brightly as she rode with Éowyn…

And Merry rode beside the riders on a white pony, with a happy, courageous expression on his face.


The battle at Osgiliath continued to escalate intensely. Men and Orcs were locked fiercely in a desperate, yet fearsome struggle. One of the Orcs relentlessly beat down a man, and then gloated over him for a moment… before moving on to do more carnage. The sheer ferocity and numbers of the Orcs began taking a toll upon them, despite the Gondorians' valorous efforts to hold Osgiliath.

The men rushed about in confusion, whilst they had swords, some of the Orcs had clubs to which easily took out the Gondorians. The wounded soldiers whined in their suffering and torment as they were left behind to die. The other soldiers who were trying desperately to escape… were callously overrun by packs of Orcs.

Faramir was also being followed closely by Orcs, as he ran through an arch.

"Faramir!" Madril called out.

And Faramir ducked… as a group of Gondorian archers released a hail of arrows into the pursuing Orc troops, shooting them dead.

Madril, observing the overwhelming number of Orcs, told Faramir, "We can't hold them, the city is lost."

Faramir, whilst surveying his likely futile defense against the Orcs in despair, did not wish to abandon the city… but he knew that Madril was right. Denethor would not be pleased, but Faramir knew that they were outnumbered. He was tired and out of breath, the proof that he and his men could not hold out much longer…

"Tell the men to break cover," ordered Faramir, panting, "we ride for Minas Tirith."

The lost battle went on with more Orcs outnumbering the men, completely overtaking them, one by one. Damrod wandered about the doomed city… and heard the ear-racking screams of the Ringwraiths…

"… Nazgûl," gasped Damrod in horror…

The Ringwraiths upon their fell beast steeds flew in the dark sky, plucking out any Gondorian soldier they saw and dropped them onto the ground, or threw them haphazardly into the ruined walls of the city.

"Take cover!" the men cried out, fleeing from the wraiths, "Nazgûl!"

Faramir rushed throughout the city to his men as he wailed out, "…FALL BACK! PULL BACK TO MINAS TIRITH!"

Hearing the order, the Gondorian soldiers abandoned their posts in the city… and immediately made for their horses to make their retreat. Madril tried to make for his horse…

But was knocked down by the Orcs. Madril lay upon the ground as he could only watch as Faramir and the others flee for Minas Tirith. The Ringwraiths continued to pluck off many of the soldiers, to keep them from escaping. The servants of Mordor intended to kill off every living man in Osgiliath, unwilling to let any man escape alive. Faramir and his remaining soldiers mounted upon their horses, and quickly made for the White City.

"Fall back!" cried the frantic, forlorn soldiers.

"Retreat!" Faramir called out, "retreat!"

"Come on!" the solders called out desperately fleeing out of Osgiliath on their horses, with the Ringwraiths not far behind, still following the troops…

Madril, still breathing, continued to lie quietly on the ground, as the city grew quiet. The Orcs, along with Gothmog, gathered around the badly wounded man, who gazed upon the Orcs with fearful eyes, knowing that he would not be alive for much longer. Gothmog, in turn, looked upon his prey, with vicious eyes, as he grabbed a spear from one of his minions, raising it high above the wounded man's chest…

STAB!

And savagely thrusted the spear into Madril, who began to pant fatally. The Orc who held the spear for Gothmog hissed ,wickedly, taking pleasure in watching Madril being brutally murdered… breathing his last few breaths.

Gothmog pulled the spear out of Madril and grimly declared, "The age, of men, is over. The time, of the Orc, has come!"


A/n: quite a long chapter huh? But not as long as chapter 1 though. Like I said I wanted to post more than one chapter today. Don't worry, I'll get to do that next week, if I can. Please read and review.


Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings Believe it or not, there's more, lot's more to come. This is a work in progress. Yikes!!!
 


Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim/timseltzer.html

seltzer@seltzerbooks.com  privacy statement

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.c