Richard Seltzer's home page  Publishing home

Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings

Chapter 17: The Ring goes south, the Fellowship heads for Mordor

A Fanfiction by: John the Visionary, Docwho4243@aol.com


This is a work in progress (not yet complete). It is the best combination of anime and Lord of the Rings that I've seen yet,  which is why I asked John for permission to post it here.  Enjoy.  Tim Seltzer


John's Disclaimer: Disclaimer: I do not own Rurouni Kenshin or Lord of the Rings. RK is the property of Nobuhiro Watsuki and Lord of the Rings is the property of Professor J. R. R. Tolkien. By the way, this fanfiction is taken pretty much from the movie directed by Peter Jackson. I, like many of you, can't wait when Return of the King comes out. This is not for profit, only for entertainment.


Summary: Here it is folks, a crossover between Rurouni Kenshin and Lord of the Rings. In this Kenshin & company defend middle earth and at the same time help a certain hobbit destroy the ring of power.

In the deep forests of Rivendell, Aragorn kneeled, with his head down, in front of a statue, a statue of a woman, hooded and cloaked. Kenshin, curious about Aragorn, watched him from the trees. Aragorn began singing…

Tinúviel elvanui…

Elleth alfirin ethelhael…

O hon ring finnil fuinui…

A renc gelebrin thiliol…

Suddenly…

Elrond slowly approached Kenshin.

"Kenshin," said Elrond, "your curiosity of Aragorn intrigues me so."

"Lord Elrond," replied Kenshin, "Aragorn kind of reminds me of how I am, plagued with the sins of my past, with all the men I have killed in my days as a manslayer."

"We all live with the burden of our private pain, Kenshin," explained Elrond, "unlike yourself, Aragorn's guilt spanned for several millennia because of his ancestor's weakness."

"I see. Aragorn kneels in front of the statue… as if it meant something to him. What does it symbolize to him?"

Elrond paused before answering, "…it is a remembrance of Aragorn's mother… it is her grave."

"Her grave? What happened to her?"

"She brought Aragorn to Rivendell, but died to protect him. I took him in and raised him."

Kenshin was astounded by Elrond's explanation. It reminded Kenshin of how he was young…

"…When I was young, Lord Elrond," said Kenshin, "three women died to protect me, that they did. He told me to think positive because I was the only one left alive. They weren't my family, but slave traders. I only knew them for a day. My parents died a year before I met them."

Elrond wore a sad face hearing about Kenshin's youth. It is more similar to Aragorn's youth than he could ever imagine

Kenshin went on, "on the night that the women died to protect me, we were attacked by a group of bandits. They mercilessly killed the women who told me to stay alive. But then, after the women died… a swordsman came and slew the bandits, every last one of them. He told me to be glad that he saved me because I was the only one left alive.

"Then… as days went by… he came back and saw… that I buried the women, as well as the bandits. Unlike Aragorn's mother's grave, which is marked by a statue, I couldn't find any good stones for them. Back then… it didn't matter to me if they were friend or foe, because they were people… dead people, and it still doesn't matter to me even now, that it does not."

"So," Elrond intoned, "you show compassion to even your enemies. You have a pure soul Kenshin Himura. And this swordsman you mentioned… has he took you in as I took in Aragorn?"

"Yes," Kenshin answered, "his name was Sejuro Hiko, the successor to the Hiten Mitsurugi Style of swordsmanship. He took me in, but we had a falling out when I could see people dying in the chaos of the revolution back in my world. I had to do something to help… so I left him."

"Of course," Elrond agreed, "we all go our own way, just as you do. You follow your conscience as Aragorn follows his as he believes that he should not become king of Gondor."

"Just as I believe," Kenshin added, "that I should wander for the rest of my life, trying to find solace within myself, that I do."

As Kenshin finished his statement, Elrond looked at Aragorn, as he slowly lifted his head… gazed into the solemn eyes of the statue… and reached out with his hand touching the statue's face, lovingly. Seeing this, Elrond came slowly out of the woods, proceeding towards Aragorn with Kenshin behind him.

Elrond said to Aragorn, in Elvish, "Anirne hene beriad i chên în (She wanted to protect her child). Ned Imladris nauthant e le beriathar aen (She thought in Rivendell you would be safe)."

Aragorn ponders Elrond's kind words about his mother.

Elrond went on, "In her heart, your mother knew you'd be hunted all your life… that you'd never escape your fate. The skill of the Elves can re-forge the sword of kings… but only you have the power to wield it."

"I do not want that power," said Aragorn in protest, "I have never wanted it."

"For what it's worth, Aragorn," interjected Kenshin, "I know how you feel. But you must not dwell in your own fear and guilt of your ancestor's past for the rest of your days, that you shouldn't."

"You are the last of the bloodline," stated Elrond, "there is no other."


Saito gets ready for the long dangerous road to Mordor. Sanosuke steps in, "Hey, Saito, glad you're coming along for the trip."

"This isn't a field trip, you moron," said Saito, "I'm not doing this just for protecting others."

"Yeah, I know, you're always into your 'Aku Soku Zan' philosophy."

"You catch on pretty quick."

"Thanks, Saito," gratified Sanosuke, "because I'm fixing to give Mordor a knuckle sandwich myself. Oh, one more thing, you still made a fool out of me by faking your death. So don't do that again. I'll make sure you don't."

Sanosuke cracked his fist fiercely.

"I don't need your help, moron," Saito countered, "I told you that I've faced life and death situations than you have."

"Yeah, yeah, but just remember, we still have our little score to settle as you do with Kenshin, don't you?"

Saito gave off a smirk to Sanosuke's last remark.


Meanwhile, in the forests of Rivendell, Aragorn and Kenshin walked together.

"Kenshin," said Aragorn.

"Yes, Aragorn," wondered Kenshin, "is it alright if I call you Aragorn now?"

"Call me whatever you wish. Could you tell me… about Kaoru? What is she like?"

Kenshin smiled brightly at Aragorn's curiosity for Kaoru.

"Well," began Kenshin, "Miss Kaoru is a very compassionate woman. She's strong enough to help others without thinking about herself, but… she's a very lonely woman, inside her heart, that she is."

"I see," Aragorn realized.

"Come to think of it," added Kenshin, "you're the second person who has ever asked about Miss Kaoru, that you are. But that's a different story. Tell me, is Miss Arwen like that too, Aragorn?"

"…Yes," answered Aragorn solemnly, "very much so. She has sworn to live her life with me, and in doing so, forsaking her immortality for me."

"So… Arwen swore to be with you forever, has she?"

Aragorn nodded.

"I heard," Kenshin added, "you singing a song when you were at your mother's grave. What was the song about, Aragorn?"

"…I sang of a woman, Kenshin," Aragorn sorrowfully responded, "tis the Lay of Lúthien… the Elf-maiden who gave her love to Beren, a mortal. Just as Arwen gives her love to me… a mortal just like Beren."

"And what happened to that Elf-maiden, Aragorn?"

"…She died," Aragorn sadly answered, with so many tears in his eyes that even Kenshin felt great sorrow for him.

Aragorn sadly went on, "It is for this reason alone that Elrond does not wish her to be with me, even if we do succeed in defeating Sauron forever. Truthfully, I want her to go with her kin just as much as her father does."

"I don't think," said Kenshin with a smile, "that Miss Arwen will give up so easily Aragorn, that she most certainly won't. I seriously doubt that she will listen. It makes her even more like Miss Kaoru, that it does."

Aragorn smiled sadly at Kenshin. He knew that Kenshin was right about Arwen, she wouldn't really give up on her choice so easily, and definitely proved her unwillingness to listen since the night she took Frodo to Rivendell.


Yahiko and Kaoru prepared for their journey with a little training. Misao walked into their training.

"So," said Misao, "training for the journey are you?"

"That's right Misao," replied Yahiko.

"It will be a very dangerous task for all of us," stated Kaoru, "even more dangerous than when we fought Shishio's group."

"I know Miss Kaoru," said Misao, "I'm ready for anything."

"Me too Misao," added Yahiko.

Kaoru smiled at her two friends.

"And besides," added Misao, "even Lord Aoshi's going to be ready for this, since he's meditating for it right now."

"So," Kaoru smiled brightly, "you've gotten used to Aoshi's meditation, Misao?"

"Well," replied Misao, with a smile, "almost, Miss Kaoru."


Aoshi settles quietly in his place of meditation. Legolas came into the room.

"Aoshi," said Legolas, "mind if I join you?"

Aoshi paused before answering, "…no, not at all. Come in Legolas, if that's what you wish to do."

"Thank you," said Legolas as he kneeled beside Aoshi.

"Are you here," wondered Aoshi, "to prepare for this journey?"

"Half of it is the reason, Aoshi," answered Legolas, "mostly it is because I wanted to talk with you Aoshi, if that is okay with you."

"…What do you want to talk about?"

"What is your world like, Aoshi?"

Aoshi knew that explaining his world to Legolas wouldn't be easy. He began his story.

"…Compared to Middle-Earth," began Aoshi, "my world isn't that much of a paradise. It is not a barren world either like this land of Mordor. But… my world is a peaceful place. The cities in my world are beautiful. The streets of those cities are teemed with people who now live in peace. We also have… machines in my world too. But not all of them are destructive like the mining machines of Mordor and Isengard. And the weapons that we have are advanced compared to yours."

The part about the weapons startled Legolas greatly.

Aoshi went on, "There's one weapon in particular that I don't like. That weapon can fire many projectiles in minutes, seconds even. It was personally responsible for the deaths of some friends of mine."

Legolas felt sorry for Aoshi. "I'm greatly sorry to hear that, Aoshi. This weapon that you speak of sounds very destructive."

"Indeed," concluded Aoshi, "…Legolas… since you and your people are immortal, that means that you've lived longer that I have. Were you there at the final battle against Sauron when your people allied themselves to the men of this world?"

"…I am sorry to say that I haven't Aoshi," Legolas sadly replied, "I am old… but not that old. I was born some centuries after the last alliance."

"I understand how you feel," Aoshi said, comparing himself with Legolas, "back in my world, there was also a great battle to determine the future of my country. I didn't get the chance to fight in that battle either, Legolas, only it was just 10 years ago. I was very much alive by that time. It really wasn't that long as the final battle with Sauron in this world that spanned back 3000 years ago."

Legolas was surprised that there was another battle in Aoshi's world but wasn't so long past as the Battle at Mount Doom.

Aoshi went on further, "before I and the others came to this world, not too long ago I was up against an man who wanted control of my country, who is like Sauron in most respect. His name was Makoto Shishio. He was a swordsman, skilled as I am, but was covered in bandages because he was severely burned 10 years ago. Shishio, however, lived on after being burned. You might say that Shishio was a great comparison to Sauron."

"I see," realized Legolas, "was this Shishio defeated?"

"Yes. The Battousai, Kenshin Himura, was the one who fought him… but Shishio defeated himself instead. Shishio's body heat increased so dramatically… that he ended up burning himself."

"Amazing," Legolas said in shock.

"Afterwards, after the battle, when the Battousai defeated me, I realized that it was no time for regrets, but the time to fight," Aoshi concluded, "just as it is the time to fight… even now."

"Indeed you are right, Aoshi," Legolas agreed, "we shall fight together, side by side Aoshi. Maybe then, you can finally put your doubts to rest."

Aoshi smiled at Legolas, thanking him for the vote of confidence.


Frodo went to Bilbo to receive some gifts from him, to help on this dangerous journey. Bilbo first gives Frodo a sword.

"My old sword, Sting," said Bilbo as he gave it to Frodo, "here take it, take it!"

Frodo draws the sword. The blade was very shiny. It didn't weigh anything almost.

"Its so light," stated Frodo in great awe of it.

"Yes," Bilbo confirmed, "yes. Made by the Elves, you know. The blade glows blue when Orcs are close. And its times like that, my lad, when you have to be extra careful. Here's a pretty thing."

Then Bilbo grabbed something else. It was a mail shirt made of a shiny, metallic-like material. It shined- simple, yet beautifully adorned with intricate patterns in the mail.

"Mithril," said Bilbo, "as light as a feather, and as hard as dragon scales. Let me see you put it on, come on."

As Frodo started to unbutton his shirt… he slowly unveiled the ring, still around his neck. Bilbo notices it and is glad to see it.

"Oh," Bilbo gasped in delight, "m… my old ring. I sh… should very much like… to hold it again, one last time."

Bilbo smiled at Frodo faintly, in an almost grandfatherly manner, imploring Frodo to grant his wish…

But Frodo wouldn't let him have it, he knew better. He started to button up his shirt covering the ring again…

"…ARGH!" Bilbo growled and transformed, lashing out at Frodo! Frodo recoiled from him, clutching the ring in his hand. Then…

The shadow left Bilbo, as he was able to slowly recover from his madness from the transformation and began to cower and weep…

"…I'm sorry I brought this upon you, my boy," apologized Bilbo, "I'm sorry that… you must carry this burden."

Bilbo then sat on his bed as he wept, "…I'm sorry for everything!"

Frodo, in that sad moment… believed his uncle. He slowly walked up to Bilbo and placed his hand gently on his shoulder, comforting him. Bilbo returns his gesture of comfort by placing his hand on Frodo's, as he continued to weep his heart out.


In a glade beneath an old stone arch, the Fellowship gathered to bid farewell to Rivendell.

Elrond said to the Fellowship, "The Ringbearer is setting out on the Quest of Mount Doom. On you who travel with him, no oath nor bond is laid to go further than you will. Farewell. Hold to your purpose.

"May the blessings of Elves and Men and all free folk go with you," Elrond finished, spreading his arms.

Legolas and Aragorn bow their heads, hands upon hearts. Kenshin bows at Elrond as well

Gandalf then interjected, "The Fellowship awaits the Ringbearer."

Frodo looked up at Kenshin and Kaoru. They both smiled at Frodo to gain their faith in him. Frodo then turned and walked forward, uncertainly, reluctantly leading them out of Rivendell. Before him… the path winds away to either side.

Frodo and Gandalf whisper to each other…

"Gandalf, which way is Mordor? Is it left or right?"

"Left," replied Gandalf.

The Fellowship departs beneath an old arch of lichen-encrusted stone. Yet Aragorn remains where he stands, and turns to Arwen. Arwen and Aragorn looked at each other one last time before departing.

Arwen's face was sorrowful… Aragorn smiled faintly, and nods a farewell. He walked out afterwards, in great sorrow and reluctance. Arwen broke off her gaze, looking down… solemn… alone. This was because there was a chance… that Arwen would never see Aragorn again.

And so… everyone in the Fellowship, from both worlds… began this perilous journey through Middle-Earth towards the desolate, treacherous land of Mordor. The Fellowship left Rivendell, as the sun's rays pierce the valley. Leaving the Elven refuge behind…

The Fellowship wandered past ruins…

Over the mountains and hillsides…

Travailing through the green, luscious fields and forests that they came across. Gandalf was in the lead…

Followed by Kenshin…

Legolas…

Gimli…

Saito and Sanosuke nearly beside each other…

Frodo…

Merry…

Kaoru…

Yahiko…

Pippin…

Sam tending with Bill, the pony…

Misao…

Aoshi…

Boromir…

…And Aragorn.

Continuing the journey… Gandalf announced his planned road…

"We must hold this course west of the Misty Mountains for forty days. If our luck holds, the Gap of Rohan will still be open to us. From there, our road turns east, to Mordor."


The company stopped on a hillside of rocks, having lunch. Sam cooked the food. He prepared a plate for Frodo. Frodo, Sam, Misao, and Sanosuke watch Boromir practicing sparring techniques with Merry and Pippin with their swords.

"Two, one, five," said Boromir, "good! Very good."

"Move your feet," interjected Aragorn.

"Oh, give them a break, Aragorn," said Misao, "they're only learning."

Aragorn smiled brightly at Misao.

"That's good, Pippin," said Merry.

"Thanks," replied Pippin.

"Faster!" Boromir instructed to the hobbits.

Kaoru and Yahiko train themselves further, with Kenshin watching over them. He grinned to see them here, having come so far. They've been through good and bad times together. Now they are involved in a battle to decide the fate of two worlds.

Gandalf sits by himself as well as Saito. Aoshi and Legolas kept an open watch for any incoming dangers that may befall them. Gimli, however, became a little uncomfortable of Gandalf's choice of road.

"If anyone was to ask for my opinion," intoned Gimli, "which I note they're not, I'd say we were taking the long way 'round. Gandalf, we could pass through the Mines of Moria. My cousin Balin would give us a royal welcome!"

"No Gimli," refused Gandalf, "I would not take the road through Moria unless I have no other choice." Kenshin notices this as well.

Then Saito lit a cigarette as he interjected, "I don't know Gandalf, the idea of going through a mine sounds okay with me."

"You like danger that much, don't you Saito?" inquired Gandalf. Saito only smirked in return.

Aoshi and Legolas suddenly notice something on the horizon. Gandalf, Saito, and Kenshin notice it as well…

Then in the middle of the practice… Boromir accidentally cuts Pippin.

"Ahhh!" Pippin muttered in pain

"Sorry," apologized Boromir…

But Pippin kicks him in the leg and Merry stroke his other leg with his sword.

"Get him!" cried Merry. Moments later…

Boromir found himself at the mercy of the playful Hobbits in a mock battle, laughing away.

"For the shire!" Pippin cried out, "hold him! Hold him down, Merry!"

Both the Hobbits and Boromir continued in their mock battle, laughing away their cares. Aragorn smiled and laughed along with them.

"Yeah!" exclaimed Misao, cheering the Hobbits that tackled Boromir, "Tackle that knucklehead!"

"My money's also on the Hobbits, Misao," added Sanosuke brightly.

Then, Aragorn stood up and walked towards the playful trio. "Gentlemen," he said, laying his hand on either Hobbit's shoulder, "that's enough." But…

Pippin and Merry grabbed his legs, pulling him down on his back, immediately involving Aragorn into the mock battle also.

"You've got my arm," cried Pippin, "you've got my arm!"

Kaoru and Yahiko looked over and laugh along with them.

"Man," said Yahiko, "not even Aragorn could stop these guys, Kaoru."

"You're definitely right about that, Yahiko," Kaoru agreed, laughing.

"Miss Kaoru! Yahiko!" Kenshin suddenly called out to them…

They responded to Kenshin's call as he gestured toward the incoming anomaly. Kaoru and Yahiko saw the anomaly and feel… threatened by its coming…

"What is that?" asked Sam as he noticed the anomaly. Everyone sees it as well.

"Nothing," Gimli said in a dismissive tone, "it's just a wisp of cloud."

"It's moving fast," said Boromir, picking himself off the ground, "…against the wind."

Legolas catched on to it…

"Crebain, from Dunland!" he cried out.

"HIDE!" cried Aragorn.

"Merry!" cried Boromir to the Hobbits, "Frodo!"

"Frodo!" Aragorn called to Frodo, "Hurry! Take cover!"

"Miss Kaoru!" Kenshin called out, "Yahiko! Sano!"

"Let's go, people!" Sanosuke added his cry as well.

Sam immediately put out the fire as everyone grabbed their belongings and hid under the rock outcroppings and under the bushes surrounding the hillside…

They wait…

A few frightening moments later…

In a burst of darkness against the light of day…

The crebain, a flock of black birds… rushed in swiftly as they flew overhead, cawing loudly. Everyone, one by one, watched them fly like locusts… or a plague on the land that has come to them…

The Crebain circled round the hill, checking to see if they could spot anybody. Clearly, this journey wasn't going to be easy as they thought…

After frightening moment of watching the threatening, ominous flight of the crebain…

The birds turned around to fly back southward once more, leaving the hillside. The Fellowship, one by one, came out of their hiding places.

"Spies of Saruman," said Gandalf with disgust, "the passage south has been watched."

"…Saruman?" queried Yahiko, "You think that he plans to stop us, don't you, Gandalf?"

"Indeed I do, Yahiko," answered Gandalf, "…perhaps even more than that."

Frodo was filled with fear… knowing that he and the Fellowship now had more trouble on their hands. Kenshin maintains his stern expression preparing himself for Saruman's attempts to stop them from going to Mordor.

"We must take the pass of Caradhras!" Gandalf gestured, turning his head towards a snowy mountain trail…


Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings Believe it or not, there's more, lot's more to come. This is a work in progress. Yikes!!!
 


Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim/timseltzer.html

seltzer@seltzerbooks.com  privacy statement

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.c