Richard Seltzer's home page  Publishing home

Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings

Chapter 15: I choose a mortal life, Arwen's vow to Strider

A Fanfiction by: John the Visionary, Docwho4243@aol.com


This is a work in progress (not yet complete). It is the best combination of anime and Lord of the Rings that I've seen yet,  which is why I asked John for permission to post it here.  Enjoy.  Tim Seltzer


John's Disclaimer: Disclaimer: I do not own Rurouni Kenshin or Lord of the Rings. RK is the property of Nobuhiro Watsuki and Lord of the Rings is the property of Professor J. R. R. Tolkien. By the way, this fanfiction is taken pretty much from the movie directed by Peter Jackson. I, like many of you, can't wait when Return of the King comes out. This is not for profit, only for entertainment.


Summary: Here it is folks, a crossover between Rurouni Kenshin and Lord of the Rings. In this Kenshin & company defend middle earth and at the same time help a certain hobbit destroy the ring of power.

Gandalf, Kenshin, and Elrond observe the trio of Frodo, Sam, and Kaoru, being together.

"His strength returns," said Elrond.

"That wound," said Gandalf, "will never fully heal. He will carry it the rest of his life."

Then Gandalf looked over to Kenshin and added, "…as I suspect that Kenshin will carry his cross-shaped scar for the rest of his life as well."

Kenshin nodded sadly in agreement, "…indeed."

"And yet," said Elrond as he walked away from the window, "to have come so far, still bearing the ring, the Hobbit has shown extraordinary resilience to its evil."

"It is a burden," informed Gandalf, "he should never have had to bear. We can ask no more of Frodo."

"For what its worth, Lord Elrond," added Kenshin, "I greatly agree with Sir Gandalf, that I do."

Elrond explains to them, "Gandalf… Kenshin… the enemy is moving, Sauron's forces are massing in the east, his eye is fixed on Rivendell. And Saruman, you both tell me, has betrayed us. Our list of allies grows thin."

"It was just a matter of time, Lord Elrond, "said Kenshin, darkening his expression, "over any periods of time, anyone is capable of changing their ways and their beliefs. Even when it is people like Saruman, that it is."

Gandalf explained even further, "And his treachery runs deeper than you know. By foul craft, Saruman has crossed Orcs with Goblin-men. He's breeding an army in the caverns of Isengard. An army that can move in sunlight, and cover great distance and speed. Saruman is coming for the ring."

"This evil," announced Elrond, "cannot be concealed by the power of the Elves. We do not have the strength to fight both Mordor and Isengard!"

Realizing this, Gandalf muses at the window.

"Sir Gandalf?" spoke Kenshin, wondering.

Elrond resolved to Gandalf, "Gandalf… the ring cannot stay here."

Gandalf continues musing at the window, realizing also that Elrond was right… the ring cannot stay in Rivendell, despite all of Frodo and Kaoru's efforts to bring it there…

In addition to the Elves and the Dwarves that arrived in Rivendell with Aoshi, Saito, and Misao, a man from the land of Gondor named Boromir has just arrived in Rivendell…

Elrond also announced, "This peril belongs to all Middle-Earth as much as it belongs to the world Kenshin comes from, Gandalf. They must decide now how to end it. The time of the Elves is over, my people are leaving these shores. Who will you look to when we've gone… the Dwarves? They hide in their mountains, seeking riches, they care nothing for the troubles of others."

Gandalf turned to face Elrond with his resolve, "It is in men, that we must place our hope."

Elrond wasn't too thrilled to hear this. "Men? Men are weak," he said sadly and started to walk away…

Gandalf, Kenshin, and Elrond walked further into the building. Kenshin wanted to hear Elrond's explanation. "Nobody's perfect, Lord Elrond," he started, "but why would you think that all men are weak?"

"Because," Elrond explained, "the race of men is failing, Kenshin. The blood of Numenor is all but spent. Its pride and dignity forgotten. It is because of men the ring survives. I was there, Gandalf… I was there, 3000 years ago…"


Elrond recalls the event that happened 3000 years ago…

He was in the last alliance against Sauron. Elrond saw Isildur slicing the ring off of Sauron's hand… landing right next to him…

"…When Isildur took the ring," continued Elrond, "I was there the day the strength of men failed… "

Elrond recalls himself going to Isildur, "Isildur, hurry, follow me." Isildur followed his instructions and was taken to Mt. Doom's scorching… burning heart…

"…I led Isildur into the heart of Mt. Doom… where the ring was forged, the one place it could be destroyed…"

Elrond then ordered Isildur, "Cast it into the fire!"

Isildur, however, kept looking at the ring, actually admiring it. Isildur looked up at Elrond with a darkened expression. Elrond gasped with concern at this...

"Destroy it!" Elrond ordered again.

"No," Isildur said maliciously… and walked away.

"ISILDUR!" Elrond yelled out… but Isildur never turned around. Elrond watched helplessly as Isildur left Mt. Doom…


"…It should've ended that day, but evil was allowed to endure," Elrond finished his recalling of the past.

Kenshin sadly sympathizes with Elrond. "I see," he said, "…I knew that you and your people were immortal… but I had no idea that you were there personally when Isildur refused to destroy the ring. I understand now why you would believe all men to be weak. I was told of this tragic tale of Isildur's weakness long ago. But that doesn't mean that all men are like Isildur, that it most certainly does not."

"…Perhaps, Kenshin," said a doubtful Elrond. He turned to face them and continued, "…but Isildur kept the ring. The line of kings is broken. There is no strength left in the world of men. They are scattered, divided, leaderless."

"There is one, who could unite them," interjected Gandalf, "One who could reclaim the throne of Gondor."

Elrond was even more doubtful as he replied, "He turned from that path a long time ago. He has chosen exile."

"And," inquired Kenshin, "who is this man who can reclaim Gondor?"

"It is the man who helped Frodo and your friends to get here, Kenshin," answered Gandalf.

"You mean… " Kenshin said in shock, "…the ranger known as Strider…?"


Strider, the true heir of the Gondor throne, is in a room, reading a book. Saito was in the room with him, smoking a cigarette. Footsteps echoed on the stone floor… it was Boromir. Boromir started to enter the room and saw Strider.

"You are no Elf." He spoke to Strider.

"Men of the south are welcome here," replied Strider.

"Who are you?"

"A friend of Gandalf the Grey," answered Strider.

Then Saito interjected, "He's a ranger, calls himself Strider. He helped to bring some of my… 'friends' here."

Saito couldn't say friends in the truest sense because he has a lot of issues with Kenshin's group. Strider was somewhat a little annoyed with Saito for giving him away.

"Really?" asked a smiling Boromir, and says to both of them, "Then we are all here on a common purpose... friends."

Boromir then wandered over to the picture of the final battle between Isildur and Sauron.

'This looks like it's a picture of a final battle.' thought Saito, as he gazed at the picture with Boromir, '…the creepy looking guy must be the dark lord Sauron, which the Battousai speaks of.'

Saito was definitely right about that. Boromir then turned around and sees the broken sword itself, on display, in front of a statue.

"Shards of Narsil," said Boromir.

He picked up the hilt and grasped it with both hands. Saito looked over to the picture and it was the same blade that was in the picture.

"The blade that cut the ring from Sauron's hand," stated Boromir.

"So," said Saito, smirking, "this is the great weapon that defeated this Sauron, eh?"

Boromir brightly replied, "Indeed, my friend… indeed." Boromir then ran his finger up the blade… and accidentally cuts his finger on it…

"…Ah! Its still sharp…" added Boromir as he slowly turned to look at Strider. Strider stared back at Boromir in return…

"…But no more than a broken heirloom," finished Boromir as he dropped the sword on the display table…

But the blade fell and landed onto the floor instead. Boromir left it where it was and leaves the room.

"Not a nice way," said Saito, "to treat heirlooms now, is it?"

He proceeded to put the blade back but Strider interjected, "It's alright… I'll put it back."

Saito looked at Strider and decided to respect his decision.

"Fine, as you wish," said Saito as he also left the room.

Strider picked up the blade and softly put it back on the display table. He backed away as if he were frightened of it.

Arwen appeared slowly into the room and spoke, "…Why do you fear the past? You are Isildur's heir, not Isildur himself. You are not bound to his fate."

"The same blood flows through my veins," Strider sadly countered as he faced Arwen, "…the same weakness."

Arwen went up to him and stated, "Your time will come. You will face the same evil and you will defeat it. A si i-Dhúath ú-orthor. Ú or le a ú or nin. (The shadow does not hold sway yet. Not over you… not over me.)"


Evening fell over Rivendell.

Kenshin walked alone, admiring what the night sky looked in Rivendell, without the pollution of Isengard. Along the way… Kenshin spots Kaoru alone in the twilit gardens of Rivendell. She sat on a bench in one of the gazeboes.

Kaoru looked to her side and saw Kenshin. She smiled very brightly.

Kenshin came up to her and said, "Miss Kaoru, do you enjoy Rivendell, as much as all Middle-Earth so far?"

"Yes Kenshin," Kaoru answered brightly, "I just wish that… we wouldn't have dark servants chase us here and there."

"I know the feeling Miss Kaoru," confirmed Kenshin, "most of my life after Battousai the Manslayer, when I wandered throughout Japan, people chase me all the time, that they do."

Kaoru giggled, "And that's why we have had all kinds of crazy adventures together. And they've all brought us together in more ways than one."

"I know Miss Kaoru… but this adventure we're currently having together is altogether dangerous… perhaps even more dangerous that when we fought with Shishio."

"But Kenshin," Kaoru became worried, "we're all in this together, aren't we?"

"Indeed Miss Kaoru. I meant what I said about accepting your help. But… that doesn't mean that any of us won't get killed in this battle, that it does not."

Kaoru, for a moment… realized what Kenshin was saying. She and Yahiko have fought extraordinary enemies that cannot be defeated so easily. Kaoru did realize that there really was a high risk that either her or Yahiko, or even the others themselves could die instantly in this battle.

Kenshin took a few steps away from her as he went on, "…it makes me think of how Megumi felt about how close I was to death after the fight with Shishio. Even though I may have fascinating abilities… that doesn't change the fact that I'm human and that I can die. You can die the same way too Miss Kaoru, that you can. I sympathize with you and Miss Megumi's concerns for me that my next brush with death… could well be my very last. And the fact is Miss Kaoru… that's the same way I feel about you if you're ever in a situation like that."

Kaoru gasped at Kenshin's remark, knowing that Kenshin really does care if she dies.

Kenshin went on further, "Miss Kaoru… in coming to this world, I realized that the situations put me at a disadvantage, that they do. There are many unknown dangers here, as well as unknown beauty and wonder. You and Yahiko have fought against enemies that cannot be defeated so easily, even by me. I fear that you may not be able to handle these enemies this time Miss Kaoru."

Kenshin paused before finishing, "…I don't think that I'll be able to protect you this time Miss Kaoru, that I do not."

Kaoru paused for a moment before stating her peace, "…Kenshin… why do you worry so much about me? No matter what happens to us Kenshin… I will always help out any way that I can. I want to be with you forever Kenshin…"

Kenshin sadly felt great sympathy for Kaoru's longing desire for him…

Kaoru went on, "…even though we were separated the moment we arrived in Middle-Earth, I still thought of you Kenshin… and I still want to be with you even now. So promise me Kenshin… even if we are separated again in Middle-Earth… promise me that you'll come back to me. And if I am separated from you again Kenshin…

"…I promise that I'll do everything in my power to come back to you. I told you before that I can take care of myself and that I would not be in your way," Kaoru finished passionately.

…Kenshin then turned around… came up slowly toward Kaoru… and sat down with her, putting his arm around her shoulder, consoling her…

"…Then Miss Kaoru," Kenshin resolved, "…I think that this time… I will have no choice but to have faith in you that I will. Just as you had faith in me when I went off to fight Shishio… I will also have faith in you… Miss Kaoru."

Kaoru smiled brightly.

Kenshin went on, "You've given me a home at your dojo. You forgave someone who has killed many in the revolution. You even welcomed me back when we returned to Tokyo from the battle with Shishio. I truly felt happy…

"…I don't want to be anywhere else… except with you and the dojo Miss Kaoru," Kenshin finished eloquently.

"And I," added Kaoru, even more eloquently, "don't want to be anywhere else except with you… Kenshin."

The couple sat together, holding each other for a few moments… and then…

Kaoru looked forward to see another couple on a nearby bridge…

"Kenshin," said Kaoru.

"What is it?" Kenshin asked.

"Look over there," Kaoru replied pointing at the figures on the bridge, holding hands together.

Kenshin observed for a moment before stating, "That must be Miss Arwen and Strider."

"Yes Kenshin," Kaoru confirmed, "ever since the night that Arwen took Frodo to this place… I saw them holding hands together… as if they meant something to each other. I couldn't understand what they were saying, but it sounded like Strider wanted her to stay behind with us. He must be very worried about her… just like you're very concerned about me, Kenshin."

Kenshin smiled, "indeed Miss Kaoru. Perhaps… even here in Middle-Earth… we can find people who are like us in so many ways, that we can."


It was a very romantic night for Arwen and Strider as they stood on the bridge in which Kenshin and Kaoru saw before them. Both Arwen and Strider… spoke in Elvish…

"Renech i lu i erui govannem?" asked Arwen.

"Nauthannem i ned ol reniannen," Strider answered softly.

"Gwenwin in enninath...U-arnech in naeth i si celich… " Arwen said… softly and tenderly touching Strider's cheek and asked, "…Renech i beth i pennen?"

Strider slowly ran his fingers across Arwen's beautiful pendant on her neck, the Evenstar, and softly answered, "You said you'd bind yourself to me… forsaking the immortal life of your people."

"And to that I hold," Arwen resolved, "I would rather share one lifetime with you, than face all the ages of this world alone…"

Strider was shocked to find the pendant in his hand, given to him by Arwen as she tenderly announced to him, "…I choose a mortal life."

Strider softly countered, "You cannot give me this."

"It is mine to give to whom I will," Arwen softly defended herself, "…like my heart."

With that last statement… Arwen softly enclosed the pendant in his hand. Moments later…

Arwen and Strider both shared a long, breathless kiss that lasted, to them… an entire lifetime…


A/n: Spoiler: If you seen the movie, then you should know what Arwen and Strider said to each other. And Strider's identity, like in the movie, will be revealed next chapter.


Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings Believe it or not, there's more, lot's more to come. This is a work in progress. Yikes!!!
 

Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim/timseltzer.html

seltzer@seltzerbooks.com  privacy statement

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.c