Richard Seltzer's home page  Publishing home

Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings

Chapter 18: The dangerous forbidden road, go through Moria

A Fanfiction by: John the Visionary, Docwho4243@aol.com


This is a work in progress (not yet complete). It is the best combination of anime and Lord of the Rings that I've seen yet,  which is why I asked John for permission to post it here.  Enjoy.  Tim Seltzer


John's Disclaimer: Disclaimer: I do not own Rurouni Kenshin or Lord of the Rings. RK is the property of Nobuhiro Watsuki and Lord of the Rings is the property of Professor J. R. R. Tolkien. By the way, this fanfiction is taken pretty much from the movie directed by Peter Jackson. I, like many of you, can't wait when Return of the King comes out. This is not for profit, only for entertainment.


Summary: Here it is folks, a crossover between Rurouni Kenshin and Lord of the Rings. In this Kenshin & company defend middle earth and at the same time help a certain hobbit destroy the ring of power.

A/n: Hello, its July 4th. Happy Independence day! This time, I've published three chapters for this special occasion. Enjoy!

Please r/r.


The Fellowship climbed up the snowy pass of Caradhras.

Along the way, Frodo tumbled down on the snow. Kenshin and Aragorn catch him. Frodo picks himself off of the ground and frisks himself… but he cannot feel the ring. It fell onto the snow. Boromir picked it up… but doesn't give it to Frodo.

Instead… he pities and admires the ring as he held it dangling in front of his face. Kenshin and Aragorn call out to him but Boromir wouldn't move…

"It is a strange fate," he said, "…that we should suffer so much fear and doubt, over so small a thing… "

Everyone watched Boromir very suspiciously. Ever since he first laid eyes upon it, he wanted to use it. Kaoru was the most suspicious of all of them because of her personal temptation of the ring…

Boromir went on, dazed, "Such a little thing… "

Boromir started to bring his other hand to grasp the ring with…

"Boromir!" Aragorn interrupted loudly, snapping Boromir out of his daze, "…give the ring to Frodo."

Boromir, at first, paused in hesitation to Aragorn's demand…

But Kenshin added with a darkened glare, "…you will kindly give the ring back to Sir Frodo, that you will."

Kenshin instantly got Boromir's attention with his tone of voice and expression. Boromir then slowly went down towards Frodo, holding out the ring for him to take…

"As you wish," Boromir said as Frodo frantically snatched the ring back from him, "I care not."

Boromir then looked at Aragorn and Kenshin's serious expressions. He chuckled as he patted Frodo's head and turned around to join the others. Everyone is relieved that Frodo has the ring back, even Kaoru. Kenshin and Aragorn released their swords… for the moment.


At Isengard, Saruman's flock of bird spies, the Crebain, report back to him underneath the caverns of Isengard…

The birds passed through every cavern and chasm in the mining operations…

And went strait for their master, Saruman, who was waiting for them at a platform, giving their report to him…

Saruman turned around saying to himself, "So Gandalf, you try to lead them over Caradhras. And if that fails… where then will you go…?"


Gandalf and the others are caught in a terrible blizzard. Gandalf toils endlessly trying to part the snow in order for the others to walk more easily. Legolas walks on top of the snow…

"If the mountain defeats you," intoned Saruman, "…will you risk a more dangerous road?"

Sanosuke was getting cold. "Man," he said, "we're going to turn into icicles if we take this much longer."

"Then why don't you shut your mouth and keep moving you moron," mocked Saito.

"Would you stop demeaning me, Saito?!"

Legolas then starts to hear something echoing out of the blustery winds…

…Cuiva nwalca… Carnirasse…

"There is a fell voice on the air," he said. Everyone starts to hear it as well…

"Its Saruman!" Gandalf cried out. Snow from above began to collapse bit by bit…

The snow, in the form of large-boulder formations began to trample onto the Fellowship.

"Kenshin!" Kaoru cried out, as the snow-boulders trampled next to him. Luckily, the boulders missed him. Kenshin maintained his vigilance, even in the face of danger.

"He's trying to bring down the mountain!" cried out Aragorn, "Gandalf, we must turn back!"

"No!" cried Gandalf. He took his place at the edge of the cliff and took a stand against Saruman once more, speaking out his own incantations…

"Losto Caradhras!" he cried out, "… sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith…!"

As Gandalf spoke his incantations… Saruman countered with his own incantations… that continued echoing in the blizzard…

"…Cuiva nwalca… Cuiva nwalca… "


From on top of Orthanc tower, "…Cuiva nwalca Carnirasse; nai yarvaxea rasselya; talhira notto-carinnar…!"


Saruman's voice carried very heavily throughout the horrendous weather front in front of him. The treacherous wizard's incantations seemed to be more powerful for Gandalf to counter…

And then…

FLASH!

A bolt of lightning struck a peak, just above the Fellowship, causing an avalanche. The avalanche was about to crash down onto the Fellowship. Everyone braced for impact… when the avalanche struck the cliff, hard…

SLLLLAAAAAAAMMMMM!

The impact of the avalanche slowly… but surely… buried the Fellowship, one by one. After long… long perilous moments with the avalanche…

It settled, with everyone entombed in the cold, harsh precipitation. Moments later, after being buried in the snow…

The Fellowship began to burrow themselves out of the snow, feeling cold… and frozen. Legolas came out of the snow first, followed by Frodo, Yahiko and Sam.

Sanosuke and Saito uncovered themselves afterwards.

"Brr," said Sanosuke, "man, it looks like Saruman has control of this storm."

"Obviously," added Saito.

Kenshin came out of the snow next, worrying frantically about Kaoru. Then Kaoru's head came out of the snow.

"Miss Kaoru!" Kenshin cried out as Kaoru uncovered herself out of the snow even further.

Kenshin helped her out of the snow and brushed the remaining snow off of her.

"Kenshin," Kaoru panted, "…we're not going to last out in this blizzard… are we?"

Kenshin made no response, but stared at her in return.

Misao and Aoshi came out of the snow next. Misao was concerned for Aoshi.

"Lord Aoshi!" she cried, "are you alright?" Aoshi slowly nodded which made her feel a little better. Gimli growled as he burrowed out of the snow. The rest followed suit, uncovering themselves out of the snow as well.

"We must get off the mountain!" called out Boromir, "make for the Gap of Rohan… and take the west road to my city!"

"The Gap of Rohan takes us too close to Isengard!" countered Aragorn.

"Well," interjected Kenshin, "we must think of something, Aragorn. Because Saruman's making it very clear that he doesn't want us to come this way, that he doesn't."

"Then, Kenshin," suggested Gimli, "if we cannot pass over the mountain, let us go under it. Let us go through the mines of Moria."

After Gimli gave his suggestion, Kenshin turned to Gandalf, who looked distressed at that suggestion. Kenshin can see that Moria was the last place Gandalf wanted to go.

Gandalf then recalls what Saruman said to him once…


'…Moria… you fear to go into those mines. The Dwarves delved too greedily and too deep…

'You know what they awoke in the darkness of Khazad-dûm…

'…Shadow… and flame.'


Gandalf resolved his route in Frodo's hands. "Let the ringbearer decide," he said. Everyone looks to Frodo to await his decision…

"Frodo," wondered Gandalf…

Moments later… Frodo made his decision, "…We will go through the mines."

"So be it," finished Gandalf.


The Fellowship made their way toward Moria. As they approached closer, Gimli spoke with awe, "…The walls… of Moria…"

Reaching closer, the Fellowship approaches the walls, looking for the doors. Gimli announced, "Dwarf doors are invisible when closed."

"Yes, Gimli," said Gandalf, "Their own masters cannot find them if their secrets are forgotten."

"Why doesn't that surprise me?" Legolas said to himself.

The Fellowship then walks next to a dark lake. Frodo accidentally steps in to the water, nearly falling.

Gandalf approached the stone door. Two great trees framed it. He scrubs away dirt to find a pattern on the wall. "Now let's see... Ithildin," he said to himself, almost whispering, trying to read the inscriptions, "it mirrors only starlight… and moonlight."

The moon slowly came out…

And lit the inscriptions on the door. The writing was in Elvish. Gandalf placed his hands on his hips in great surprise and curiousity.

"Gee," said Misao, "I wonder what it says?"

"Well, young lady," said Gandalf, "it reads: The doors of Durin, Lord of Moria. Speak 'friend'… and enter!"

"What do you suppose that means?" asked Merry.

"Oh," answered Gandalf, "it's quite simple. If you are a friend, you speak the password and the doors will open."

Gandalf puts the tip of his staff on the door and spoke in Elvish, "Annon Edhellen edro hi ammen!"

But…

The doors didn't open. Gandalf then tried raising his hands next, speaking in Dwarvish, "Fennas Nogothrim, lasto beth lammen!"

Again… nothing happened!

"Nothing's happened," said Pippin.

Looking annoyed, Gandalf tried to force the doors open… but to no avail.

"I once knew," stated Gandalf, "every spell in all the tongues of Elves, Men, and Orcs."

"What are you going to do then?" asked Pippin.

Gandalf angrily countered, "Knock your head against these doors, Peregrin Took! And if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will try to find the opening words."

Gandalf continued to try again, forcing the doors open and speaking passwords for long, long minutes.

"Ando Eldarinwa…" he continued wearily, "a lasta quettanya, Fenda Casarinwa…"

"You know, Gandalf," said Misao, "this is starting to get boring. I'm going to sit down."

"Yeah," added Pippin, "me too."

Saito began to sit this one out as well, smoking a cigarette. "'If you are a friend, you speak the password', huh?" he said, skeptically, "I've never considered anyone to be my friend, let alone be anybody else's friend."

"You got that right Saito," said Sanosuke. Everyone followed suit to sit down as well.

Gandalf continued to try to open the door. Some people still think that it's getting boring.

"How long is this going to take?" wondered Yahiko.

"Who knows, Yahiko," answered Misao, feeling bored, "maybe two… three days or nights."

"…Yeah," said Yahiko, even more bored, "…you're probably right Misao."

Kenshin and Aoshi, however… wait patiently and on alert.

Aragorn and Sam decide to let Bill, the pony, go home as they unloaded the supplies off of him.

"The mines are no place for a pony," stated Aragorn, "even one so brave as Bill."

"Bye, bye, Bill," said Sam.

"Go home, Bill," said Aragorn, letting the pony go. Sam looked sad to see Bill go.

"Don't worry Sam," said Aragorn, reassuring Sam, "he knows the way home."

Pippin was even more bored. He decided to throw rocks into the lake to pass the time. Misao was about to do the same, but Kenshin and Aragorn stopped them…

"Do not disturb the water," said Aragorn.

"I agree with Aragorn, Miss Misao," said Kenshin, "…the water seems… ominous… that it does."

Gandalf decided to give up as he spoke, "Oh, it's useless!" He sat on a nearby rock, frustrated with trying to open the doors.

Frodo and Kaoru look at the inscription once more…

Movement began slowly and frighteningly in the lake as Frodo and Kaoru pondered the message…

"It's a riddle," Frodo realized. Kaoru agreed with him with a surprised look.

"Yes," she said, "…you could be right, Frodo."

Movement in the lake continued…

"'…Speak "friend"…and enter'. What's the elvish word for friend?" asked Frodo. Kaoru looked over to Gandalf for his answer.

"Mellon," he answered quietly, enough for Kaoru to hear.

Kaoru then went over to the door and cried out, "…Mellon!"

Then…

The doors suddenly and slowly… opened, surprising everyone, including Gandalf.

"Well done, Kaoru," Gandalf congratulated Kaoru, "well done, indeed."

Kaoru smiled at Gandalf in return. The Fellowship, still wary of the path that they are taking, started cautiously… to enter the mines.

As they entered… Gimli started to boast to everyone about Moria's Dwarves.

"Soon, Master Elf," he announced, "you will enjoy the fabled hospitality of the Dwarves…"

'Gee,' thought Misao, 'I'm not so sure about that, Gimli, its still dark as night in here. It kind of looks… morbid to me.'

Everyone else shared Misao's doubt as Gimli continued his announcement, "…Roaring fires, malt beer, ripe meat off the bone…! "

Gandalf then lit the tip of his staff, which had a crystal embedded on it, providing a glowing, bright light. Misao was relieved at first, but…

She gasped in shock to what she saw…

"…This, my friend," Gimli went on, "is the home of my cousin Balin, and they call it a mine… a mine!"

"This is no mine," interjected a speechless Boromir, "…it's a tomb!"

Everyone couldn't believe it…

The wizard's light revealed a barrage of dead, rotted dwarf skeletons all over the mine, casting long shadows across the room, scaring and shocking them immensely. Misao was even more shocked because she was the first one to notice before anyone else did. Some of the Fellowship members even cringed in great fear because of the dead Dwarves.

"Man!" Sanosuke cried, "Why did you decide to come to this hellhole, Frodo!"

Gimli was the most shocked of all of them. "No…" he said, "…no… NNOOOOOOOOOOO!"

"Nice place to visit, eh Gimli," said Saito.

Legolas pulled an arrow out of one of the skeletons and looked at it. "Goblins!" he cried and threw it aside in disgust.

Kenshin, Aragorn, Boromir, and Aoshi pulled out their swords, ready to defend themselves. Gimli still cried in great shock.

"We make for the Gap of Rohan," said Boromir, "we should never have come here. "

Frodo and the hobbits were more than happy to leave as they started to walk backwards… out of the mine. Kaoru and Yahiko were almost right beside them…

"Now, get out of here, get out!" Boromir added his cry.

As they tried to leave… something grabbed Frodo…

…It was a long, snaking tentacle that came out of the water, pulling him down!

"Frodo!" the Hobbits cried out as the tentacle continued to pull him.

"Kenshin!" Kaoru cried out, calling for Kenshin's assistance.

"Strider!" Sam cried out, calling for Aragorn's assistance.

Kenshin and Aragorn see the situation that Frodo is in.

"Help!" cried Frodo.

Sam, Yahiko, and the other Hobbits went out to help Frodo. Yahiko tried to hit the tentacle, trying to hurt it, but to no avail. Sam hacks away at the tentacle, which made a difference.

"Get off him!" he yelled, "Strider!"

"Aragorn!" Merry added.

The Hobbits were able to release Frodo from the tentacle and it went back into the water…

SPLOOSH!

…But even more tentacles came out in force, splashing out of the water, slapping the other Hobbits and Yahiko aside and grabbed Frodo again, by the leg. He is pulled out over the water… and into the air!

"Frodo!" Merry cried out.

Kaoru then went out and tried to rescue Frodo… but another tentacle catches her and hurled her into the air as well.

"Miss Kaoru!" Kenshin cried.

Legolas ran out onto the shore and shoots arrows. His arrows pierced some three-pronged tentacles that were wrapping themselves over both Kaoru and Frodo's face…

"Strider!" Frodo cried out.

"Kenshin!" Kaoru cried out also.

Misao threw her kunais at it, but had no effect at all on the creature. Kenshin, Aoshi, Aragorn, and Boromir also went to go out and fight the creature. The creature flung Kaoru and Frodo wildly in the air.

The creature's tentacles tried to catch Kenshin, but he was able to injure some of the creature's tentacles with his reverse-blade sword as Aoshi and the others were able cut some of the tentacles that were trying to catch them as well, making the creature cry in great pain…

Despite the Fellowship's efforts…

The Hobbit and Kaoru are lowered towards a gapping maw in the water, ringed by fangs. Set in a gilled face akin to some ancient kraken with wild, old eyes glistening fish-like from its head…

"AAAAAHHHHHHH!" Frodo and Kaoru screamed at the top of their lungs…

The head of the kraken frightened both Frodo and Kaoru. It was ready to eat them. But…

With a last vestige of spirit…

The rescuers were able to cut more of the kraken's tentacles… releasing Kaoru and Frodo, and the Fellowship catched the captives.

"Into the mines!" commanded Gandalf.

"Legolas," called out Boromir, holding Frodo. Kenshin carried Kaoru…

They ran towards the gates as a huge tentacle uncoiled a hand-like appendage, snaking after them. Legolas takes aim at the creature…

"Into the cave!" commanded Aragorn.

Legolas then fired the arrow at the kraken. His arrow runs deep into the beast's right eye, and it recoiled for a moment with a roar… allowing the Fellowship to run into the mines.

"Run!" Aragorn cried out to everyone.

The creature then crawled up to the doors…

CRUSH…!

And used its tentacles to slam the doors shut, causing a ton of rocks and boulders to fall down from the roof of the passageway… blocking the entrance completely… entombing them inside the mine…

Moments later…

The Fellowship found themselves in a completely dark cavern, panting for breath in fear and doubt as the last rays of moonlight were obliterated…

"…We now have but one choice," Gandalf quietly announced in the dark…

THUMP!

The wizard knocks his staff onto the ground, lighting it, showing the startled, frightened faces of the Fellowship…

"…We must face the long, dark of Moria," Gandalf concluded, as he proceeded forward, "be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world."

Everyone slowly and silently followed Gandalf's lead as they carefully pick their way over the floor and up the broad steps…

"Quietly now," added Gandalf, silently, "it is a four-day journey to the other side. Let us hope that our presence may go unnoticed."

The mines of Moria were very large… vast… and deep…

The path is rough-hewn and narrow, rocky arches and boulder-like lumps appear in the half-light of the caverns. Some feel that they'll go mad if they stay here any longer…


After 3 long days of trekking through the harsh caverns…

Through every dangerous and treacherous chasm…

Every steep climb of the stairways… finding Mithril, which value was worth even greater than the value of the Shire…

And even going through barrages of dead Dwarves…

Gandalf finally led them towards a crossroads in the mine, at the top of a stairway…

…Three portals loomed before him. Gandalf held out his staff. He glances from one to the other and back. His eyes slowly turn towards the left-hand passage…

"I have no memory of this place," Gandalf said to himself, whispering…


A/n: I have a confession to make…

I've already finished section one of this fanfiction and…

I've finished Section two also, isn't that wonderful? I'm now ready to see Return of the King, which comes in 6 months. As for those who have been wondering that I intended to combine all three parts of Lord of the Rings in this fanfiction…

The answer is yes. I do intend to combine all three stories in this fanfiction, making this story a big epic crossover trilogy in one fanfiction. Isn't that cool?

I've been taking the time to look over my fanfic as Peter Jackson was looking over the films before he released them. You might say that I'm following Peter Jackson's example in this case. Anyway, please read and review and… enjoy the next chapter!


Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings Believe it or not, there's more, lot's more to come. This is a work in progress. Yikes!!!
 


Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim/timseltzer.html

seltzer@seltzerbooks.com  privacy statement

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.c