Richard Seltzer's home page  Publishing home

Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings

Chapter 23: The Argonath, the journey on the Anduin River

A Fanfiction by: John the Visionary, Docwho4243@aol.com


This is a work in progress (not yet complete). It is the best combination of anime and Lord of the Rings that I've seen yet,  which is why I asked John for permission to post it here.  Enjoy.  Tim Seltzer


John's Disclaimer: Disclaimer: The Lord of the Rings and RK are not mine. They belong to their authors, respectively J.R.R. Tolkien and Watsuki Nobuhiro. This fanfiction is created just for fun, not for any commercial purposes.


Summary: Here it is folks, a crossover between Rurouni Kenshin and Lord of the Rings. In this Kenshin & company defend middle earth and at the same time help a certain hobbit destroy the ring of power.

Morning fell over Lothlorien.

Elves prepared for the departure of the Fellowship. Legolas was among them, shifting parcels into a set of six boats provided by the Galadhrim.

Grey Elvish cloaks were fastened around the Fellowship members with green, silver-veined leaf-brooches. Kenshin liked his cloak. It somehow… reminded him of Gandalf. Sanosuke was unaccustomed to wearing strange clothing or cloaks, but accepted it on the Elves' behalf. They were also given packages of Lembas bread, the way-bread of the Elves.

Celeborn speaks, "Never before have we clad strangers in the garb of our own people. May these cloaks help shield you from unfriendly eyes."

"Thank you sir," said Misao, enjoying her new cloak, "I gladly accept this cloak…"

Then, Misao turned to Kenshin and fumed, "As long as Himura doesn't ruin it, like he did my last cloak!"

Kenshin recoiled nervously, for on the night that Misao and Kenshin met, he used her previous cloak to deflect her kunai attack, which resulted with the cloak being full of holes. Misao was very mad at Kenshin for doing that.


The Fellowship began to board the boats, which the Elves provided for them. Kaoru and Yahiko boarded the first boat as they waited for Kenshin…

Sanosuke and Saito boarded the second boat…

Merry, Pippin, and Boromir boarded the third boat…

Misao and Aoshi boarded the fourth boat…

Legolas and Gimli boarded the fifth boat…

And Frodo and Sam boarded the last boat, as they waited for Aragorn. Sam tried to steady himself, as though he was unused to boats.

Kenshin and Aragorn were still onshore, while Celeborn advised them on what they shall face ahead.

"Every league you travel south," said Celeborn, "the danger will increase. Mordor Orcs now hold the Eastern Shore of the Anduin. Nor will you find safety on the western bank. Strange creatures bearing the mark of the White Hand have been seen on our borders. Seldom do Orcs journey in the open, under the sun, yet these have done so!"

"Hmm, so strange creatures with the mark of the White Hand, are journeying in sunlight, eh?" Kenshin interjected, "…I have a pretty good guess… that I know what creatures you are referring to Lord Celeborn, that I do."

"Indeed you might, Kenshin," Celeborn agreed, "…I have known and heard about you and Gandalf's visit to Isengard."

Celeborn then turned to Aragorn. Aragorn looked down to see Celeborn holding a dagger for him to have. Aragorn took the dagger, and unsheathed it. The blade glinted brightly before his and Kenshin's eyes as Aragorn held it in his hand.

"Le aphadar aen (You are being tracked)," Celeborn said warningly to Kenshin and Aragorn.

Aragorn re-sheathed the dagger.

"By river," Celeborn added, "you have the chance of outrunning the enemy to the Falls of Rauros."

"Thank you Lord Celeborn," said Kenshin sternly, "we will follow your advice, that we will."


Sometime later… a paddle splashed into the water…

The Fellowship rowed through the river, past the Elves onshore. The sun is reaching its rosy fingers over the hills; Caras Galadhon rises far away, in the mists. Voices sing with the rising dawn…

A song of the sorrow of the Elves, of Lothlórien…

"Ai! laurië lantar lassi súrien…

Yéni úntimë ve rámar aldaron…!

Yéni ve lintë yuldar avánier…

Mi oromardi lisse-miruvóreva…

Andúnë pella Vardo tellumar…

Nu luini yassen tintilar i eleni…



The boats continued to move downstream, and they spot Galadriel, standing silently on the shore, clothed in white. Frodo looked at Galadriel and looked down at the glass-object shaped like a teardrop in his hand, which was undoubtedly, given to him by Galadriel.

Many of the Fellowship members received gifts from Galadriel…


Legolas received a new bow from Galadriel…

"My gift for you, Legolas," said Galadriel, handing the new bow to Legolas, "is a bow of the Galadhrim, worthy of the skill of our woodland kin."

Legolas took the bow and stretched the bow to test it. He was filled with awe within his eyes.


Then, Aoshi was given a gift…

"Aoshi Shinomori," Galadriel said to him, giving him another bow, "this bow once belonged to Legolas. Let it now be yours."

Aoshi paused for a moment before he answered, "…With all due respect, Miss Galadriel… I don't think I am capable of such an honor."

"It is okay Aoshi," interjected Legolas, "your skill seems sharp and boundless compared to Kenshin. I meant what I said to you when we first met… that your skill might surpass the Elves, yet you are a man. I would be honored to let you have my old bow, Aoshi."

Aoshi seemed moved by Legolas' statement. Moments later…

He grasped the bow softly, but firmly. "Then… I would be very proud… to receive this gift from the Elves," said Aoshi, accepting his gift…


Misao was next, followed by Merry and Pippin.

Galadriel says to Misao, "For you, Misao Makimachi… your favorite weapons… a set of Kunais made of our strongest metal. Use them well."

Misao takes the new kunais and looked in awe of them. They shined very brightly like pearl and silver. The blades were very beautiful in her eyes.

"Thanks Galadriel," said Misao as she nodded.

Galadriel gave daggers to Merry and Pippin.

"These are the daggers of the Noldorin," said Galadriel, "they have already seen service in war."

Pippin, at first, seemed uneasy to use them.

"Do not fear young Peregrin Took," Galadriel assured Pippin, "you will find your courage."


Kaoru and Yahiko were up next in line. Galadriel gave them each, a new sword which was in its own sheath. The handles themselves were designed from elvish craftsmanship. Kaoru thought she'd feel the weight from handling a sword, but instead…

She found that the sword was light as a feather. Yahiko found the same thing with the sword he was handling. They thought that the swords were made to be light the same as Frodo's sword, Sting.

They unsheathed the swords to find out…

But the blades weren't made of metal… but of wood. They also had a glittering substance laced within the wooden blades.

"These are not ordinary wooden swords," Galadriel informed them, "these are carved out of our strongest wood, interlaced with Mithril."

Kaoru and Yahiko were filled with awe, knowing that they each have stronger wooden swords.

"May they protect you both from grave dangers Kaoru Kamiya and Yahiko Myojin," said Galadriel, wishing them well on their continuing… perilous journey.

"Thank you very much Miss Galadriel," said Kaoru, with a brightened expression, "I'm sure that they'll serve us well."

Galadriel smiled.


Sam came up afterwards…

" And for you, Samwise Gamgee," said Galadriel, giving rope to Sam, "Elven rope, made of hithlain."

"Thank you, my lady," said Sam with humble gratitude. Then he looks sidelong at the blades held by Merry and Pippin.

"Have you run out of those nice, shiny daggers?" Sam asked hopefully.


The Lady of the Galadhrim smiled and turned to the next Fellowship member in line. It is Gimli, who diverts his eyes downwards.

"And what gift would a Dwarf ask of the Elves?" Galadriel asked Gimli with her golden hair shining beneath the poignant blues and whites and greens of the forest.

"Nothing," Gimli grunted suddenly… and then…

He looked up and answered further, "…except to look upon the Lady of the Galadhrim one last time… for she is more fair than all the jewels beneath the earth."

Galadriel giggles, smiling at the Dwarf. He turns to walk away… but halts to turn back.

"Actually, there was one thing," added Gimli so suddenly but stuttered, "ah, agh, that's quite impossible. Stupid to ask…"

Gimli wanted a stand of Galadriel's hair… but received three strands of her hair instead, filling him with a great smile on his face. One thing was now certain for Gimli... he would never, from this point forward, call anything else in the world fair, unless it was a gift to him... from Galadriel. A statement in which he told Legolas later on, which put a smile upon his face.


Aragorn was next, as Galadriel stood before him placing her hand on the Evenstar pendant on his neck.

"I have nothing greater to give, than the gift you already bear," said Galadriel with sorrow, "Am meleth dîn. I ant e-guil Arwen Undómiel… pelitha (for her love, I fear the grace of Arwen Evenstar…will diminish)."

For a brief moment… the two shared a sorrow in their eyes.

Then Aragorn said to Galadriel, "Aníron i e broniatha ar periatham amar hen… Aníron… e ciratha a Valannor (I would have her leave these shores, and be with her people…I would have her…take the ship to Valinor)."

"That choice is yet before her," Galadriel replied in the common tongue, "you have your own choice to make, Aragorn… to rise above the height of all your fathers since the days of Elendil… "

Then… her voice deepened with great concern as she finished, "or to fall into darkness… with all that is left of your kin."

Silence followed as Aragorn pondered her warnings…

Branches shake…

A spider web's glimmering strands… swayed in the wind…

Galadriel glanced at the pendant, and smiled.

"…Namárië (Farewell)," Galadriel said her farewells to Aragorn, "Neravanyar i gerich (There is much you have yet to do)."

She then looked in Aragorn's eyes with both sorrow and joy…

"Dan… ú-'eveditham, Elessar. (We… shall not meet again, Elessar)," Galadriel said her last statement to Aragorn.


Boromir, Sanosuke, and Saito were next. Boromir refuses to look at Galadriel once again. He decided to pass. Sanosuke and Saito decided to pass on gifts as well.

"No thanks," said Sanosuke, "you guys have been giving us enough as it is."

"I think I'll pass too," added Saito.

Galadriel smiled at both of them.

"I wish you both well on your journey Sanosuke Sagara and Hajime Saito," Galadriel said brightly, "that will be my gift… to the both of you."


Kenshin and Frodo were last in line. Kenshin went in first…

"Miss Galadriel," said Kenshin, "I have desired nothing but people's happiness, that I have. Ever since I started wandering… I still wanted happiness for the world… this world as well."

Galadriel paused before she answered, "You know that is not so easily attained Kenshin. Happiness will always be difficult as time goes on. You want no gift from me either, so it seems. But there maybe something I can give you."

Kenshin stood for a moment, staring at Galadriel…

Then she asked, "…May I look at your sword for a moment?"

Kenshin humored Galadriel as he gave her his reverse-blade sword. Galadriel slowly unsheathed the sword… and looked at it with great admiration.

"So," Galadriel realized, while feeling the blade, "this sword is not like the other swords in the world. This sword is one that does not kill. Yet… I sense… that this was not the only sword like this that you've had… you had another one. It was broken, I see."

Kenshin nodded in response.

Galadriel went on, "This blade feels strong. It must be much stronger than the reverse-blade sword that you once had. And… in the hilt of the sword, there is an inscription grafted into it. What does it say?"

Kenshin told her, "… 'Each sword I have forged… has slain me, little by little. Though my child may despise me… this is for my grandchild's generation.'"

Galadriel was moved by that message as her eyes were filled with sorrow.

"…Yes," Galadriel said solemnly, "…I see that the man, who made this sword didn't really want to forge swords that kill… but he went on… in hopes that a time of peace may finally be upon your world. He had the same pain and regret that you have. The front part of the blade is dull, which is usually on the back of the sword. Instead… the cutting part of the blade is on the back of the sword, while the front is dull, which cannot spill blood. A perfect representation of how to preserve life… just like you would."

Kenshin was moved by Galadriel's speech.

Then Galadriel went on sternly, "There is an old saying, Kenshin Himura… a very, very, very old saying; 'while there is life… there is still hope.' So let that be the name of your sword from this day forward… Hope. For the sword is as strong as your hope. That will be my gift to you Kenshin…"

Kenshin puts a content expression on his face as Galadriel re-sheathed the sword and gave it back to him.

"Carry Hope for as long as you live," Galadriel finished, "do not ever lose that hope Kenshin Himura. For you shall need all the hope in the world to help you on your journey, as well as the journeys that you shall make in the future. Namárië."

Kenshin nodded again in gratitude. But there was one last thing that he was curious about, the moment he met Galadriel...

"Miss Galadriel," said Kenshin, "...there's something that has been bothering me all this time, perhaps for a long time."

"Yes?" wondered Galadriel.

"...About 9 years ago, before I met Radagast the Brown that night when he told me of the One Ring, I heard a very beautiful voice from the darkness that spoke your language, that it did..."

Galadriel grinned, as she heard Kenshin's statement with great curiosity...

Kenshin then added, "...The most strange thing about it is... that the voice mostly resembles your own, even though it spoke elvish.

"...Could you have been the voice I heard long ago? Were you with Sir Radagast, who knew who I was before I could tell him? Sir Radagast did say that he had his senses..."

Galadriel grinned a little more, as if Kenshin had known of her presence in his world. Kenshin was, after all, a very impressive man.

Kenshin went on further, "Because when I met Sir Gandalf, he didn't know who I was, or what I was, until Saruman told him, that he did."

Galadriel paused a moment before she answered, "...Well... you know Kenshin... that anything is possible. Who knows… you could be right about me being in your world."

Galadriel smiled very brightly after making her remark.

Although it wasn't the answer Kenshin was looking for... he had convinced himself... that Galadriel was the enchanting voice he heard 9 years ago...


Frodo was the last one to receive a gift from Galadriel. Frodo was listening in on Galadriel's conversation with Kenshin. The Hobbit found himself surprised... that Galadriel has somewhat met Kenshin before... in his own world.

Galadriel looked down on Frodo, handing him a crystalline vessel in the shape of a teardrop, filling with clear water and a shining light.

"Farewell, Frodo Baggins," said Galadriel, "I give you the light of Earendil… our most beloved star. Namárië."

Galadriel then went down towards Frodo… and kissed his forehead…


Back in the boats, the Fellowship continued to leave, as Galadriel waved goodbye to them with Nenya adorned on her hand. Frodo remembered the last thing Galadriel said to him…

"…May it be a light for you in dark places… when all other lights… go out."

The Fellowship sailed out onto the river… and left Lothlórien behind. White Mountains rose starkly beneath blue skies and green trees…


Going further…

The Fellowship continued to row vigilantly… through the river. Trying to outrun their enemies… the Uruk-Hai. The Fellowship kept their boats in line, but as far apart from each other as they could, holding the middle of the stream. Frodo sat silently with Aragorn and Sam… knowing that he was going to make a choice that will turn the lives of the rest of the Fellowship members… upside down.


On the Eastern shore of the river…

The Uruk-Hai continued their march through the woods…

The six boats of the Fellowship continued to sail, unaware that the Uruks were drawing close…

The phenomenal speed of the Uruks was unique… and uncanny compared to Kenshin's extraordinary god-like speed. Their abilities alone… allowed them to gain more ground beneath their feet.

The Uruk leader, looked to his side, in the direction of the Anduin River…

Immediately alerting Legolas as he turned his head so suddenly and looked at the leader's direction. Kenshin matched Legolas' gaze towards the Eastern Shore and sensed the great evil of the Uruk-Hai within the woods before him.

With that… the Uruk leader turned his head away from the river… and directed his troops to move faster….

Birds crowed high into the sky, startling the Fellowship…

They looked around, expecting the worse to happen…

"Lord Aoshi?" Misao asked Aoshi,"…what is it?"

Aoshi couldn't answer Misao. Misao remained speechless… with worry in her heart.

The Uruks continued relentlessly… to patrol the Eastern Shore of the Anduin River. They would never, never give up until they found Frodo and killed the other Fellowship members.


As the Fellowship continued to journey on the river… they began to pass through a canyon. Aragorn and Kenshin's boats were right next to each other. Suddenly…

Aragorn lifted his head… and half-smiled for a moment before he tapped Frodo on the shoulder…

"Frodo," Aragorn said quietly to Frodo as he pointed upwards…

Kenshin, Yahiko, and Kaoru looked up as well to see what has Aragorn's attention…

"…What is that, Aragorn?" Kenshin asked, as if he was in great awe.

"…The Argonath, Kenshin," Aragorn silently answered…

Kenshin, Aragorn, as well as the rest of the Fellowship began to saw what was in front of them…

A sign of a very grand… and very enormous sculpture of a man in a helmet appeared before their eyes…

"Long have I desired to look upon the kings of old… my kin," Aragorn silently added to both Kenshin and Frodo, who were mystified beyond imagination at the wondrous sculpture in front of them.

Kaoru and Yahiko were just as mystified as Kenshin, Frodo, and Sam… perhaps even more so.

Two gigantic… majestic statues of the old kings were carved right out of the rock, proudly standing on each side of the Anduin…

Two vast quarries line the cliffs to either side of them, where once their stones may have been hewn for their building…

Their left arms were held aloft, their palms faced outwards in gesture of warning…

Solemn and stern were their faces, the silent wardens of a long vanished kingdom…

The rest of the Fellowship went speechless to what they saw before them…

"…Lord Aoshi," Misao said with great awe and excitement in her voice, "…those statues… are absolutely amazing!"

Aoshi definitely believed her as he also gasped in great awe. Boromir smiled very brightly, along with Merry and Pippin. Sanosuke and Saito could barely believe what they were seeing as their mouths nearly dropped to the floor…

If anything else… out of all Middle-Earth… the towering Argonath must be the greatest wonder of this world…

The Fellowship sailed past the statues, into a lake, heading towards a great, roaring waterfall…

On either side of the falls… the land rises in two hilltops crowned by distant ruins…

And in the center of the rushing water… a pinnacle of rock rises sheer from the cascade.


The Fellowship finally found an old moorage in which to beach their boats with.

As they disembarked on the gravel beach, Boromir looked troubled and appeared to be fighting a very silent conflict within him, and Frodo glances at him, looking very disturbed.

The rest of the Fellowship began unloading their supplies to make camp. The last stage of the quest was now before them all.


A/n: So, you like these new chapters? You should probably know that Section 1 is drawing to a close very soon… as you have all seen the movie. Please read and review.

2nd A/n: Remember, these chapters are in honor of my birthday and I am now 24 YEARS OLD! Go figure. Anyway send your reviews and wish me a happy birthday!


Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings
  • Prologue: One ring to rule them all
  • Chapter 1: Bilbo's Birthday
  • Chapter 2: Occurrences of monsters
  • Chapter 3: Bilbo's birthday & farewell party
  • Chapter 4: Bilbo's goodbye to Gandalf
  • Chapter 5: Okina's surprise
  • Chapter 6: Gandalf's discovery
  • Chapter 7: Kenshin fights the forces of darkness.
  • Chapter 8: The Journey begins.
  • Chapter 9: Isengard's treason revealed, Gandalf and Saruman fight
  • Chapter 10: Get off the Road! The relentless hunt of the Black Riders
  • Chapter 11: Frodo disappears! The arrival of the mysterious ranger, Strider
  • Chapter 12: Frodo is wounded! The race towards Rivendell begins
  • Chapter 13: Flight to the Ford, Arwen helps Frodo
  • Chapter 14: Many Meetings
  • Chapter 15: I choose a mortal life, Arwen's vow to Strider
  • Chapter 16: The Council of Elrond, the ring must be destroyed
  • Chapter 17: The Ring goes south, the Fellowship heads for Mordor
  • Chapter 18: The dangerous forbidden road, go through Moria
  • Chapter 19: Balin's tomb, the battle against the troll.
  • Chapter 20: Reach th Bridge of Khazadu-dûm, Gandalf fights the Balrog
  • Chapter 21: Reach Lothlorien, Galadriel welcomes the Fellowship
  • Chapter 22: Galadriel's Mirror
  • Chapter 23: The Argonath, the journey on the Anduin River
  • Chapter 24: Boromir's betrayal, Frodo makes a hard decision
  • Chapter 25: Attack of the Uruk-Hai, the Fellowship is broken
  • Chapter 26: Frodo's Fate
  • Chapter 27: Encounter with Gollum, Lead us to the Black Gate
  • Chapter 28: Rohan under siege, burn every village!
  • Chapter 29: Kenshin and the Riders of Rohan
  • Chapter 30: Enter Treebeard
  • Chapter 31: Don't follow the lights, the passage of the marshes
  • Chapter 32: The White Wizard approaches, Gandalf's return!
  • Chapter 33: Don't take the Black Gate, there's another path
  • Chapter 34: Misao and the Entdraught
  • Chapter 35: Gandalf's Exorcism, The king of the Golden Hall is free
  • Chapter 36: Simbelmynë on the Burial mounds, reflections of a funeral
  • Chapter 37: Abandon Edoras, flee to Helm's Deep
  • Chapter 38: Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit, forces gather to Mordor
  • Chapter 39: One of the Dunedain, Aragorn dreams of Arwen
  • Chapter 40: The Wargs attack! Aragorn falls
  • Chapter 41: To War! The march of 10,000 Uruk-hai
  • Chapter 42: An Unwilling Journey to the Astral Plane, Radagast Receives a Message
  • Chapter 43: Radagast's report to the Oniwaban
  • Chapter 44: Seijuro and Sojiro, A Black Rider Appears in Kyoto
  • Chapter 45: Leave Now Arwen, Visions of a Dreadful Future
  • Chapter 46: Treachery at the Forbidden Pool, Gollum's Regession
  • Chapter 47: Battle by Nighfall, Aragorn's Return to Helm's Deep
  • Chapter 48: There is Always Hope, the Elves come to Help
  • Chapter 49: So It Begins, The Battle of Helm's Deep
  • Chapter 50: The Wall is Breached! Saruman's Explosive Surprise.
  • Chapter 51: Fall Back! Retreat to the Hornburg.
  • Chapter 52: Treebeard Goes to War, the Last March of the Ents.
  • Chapter 53: Forth Eorlingas! The Ride of the Rohirrim.
  • Chapter 54: Stories that Really Mattered, Sam's Compassionate Speech.
  • Chapter 55: She Could Do It! Gollum Plots a Trap.
  • Chapter 56: The Voice of Saruman.
  • Chapter 57: A Snake in Man's Clothing, Discovery of a Spy in Kyoto
  • Chapter 58: The Precious Will be Ours! Gollum's Villainy Exposed.
  • Chapter 59: I See You, Ordeal with the Palentir.
  • Chapter 60: The Enemy's Plan, Sauron Strikes Against Gondor and Japan.
  • Chapter 61: Vain Ambitions, The Decline of Gondor.
  • Chapter 62: A Deep Breath, The Great Battle of Our Time.
  • Chapter 63: The Beacons Are Lit! Rohan Rides for Gondor.
  • Chapter 64: A Wizard's Pupol and His Stooge, Faramir's Story to Aoshi.
  • Chapter 65: You Are To Join the Tower Guard, Master Hobbit, Pippin's Allegiance to Denethor.
  • Chapter 66: Go Home Sam, A Bitter Parting.
  • Chapter 67: All Shall Fade, The Sacrifice of Faramir.
  • Chapter 68: The Sword of Kings, Re-forged! Become Who You Were Born to be, Aragorn.
  • Chapter 69: A Vain Road to Take, Journey to the Dwimorberg.
  • Chapter 70: What Say You, Oathbreakers? Kenshin and the Paths of the Dead.
  • Chapter 71: Prepare for battle! The Siege of Gondor.
  • Chapter 72: No Hope of Winning, the Battle for Kyoto Commences.
  • Believe it or not, there's more, lot's more to come. This is a work in progress. Yikes!!!




    Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
    Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim/timseltzer.html

    seltzer@seltzerbooks.com  privacy statement

    Google
      Webseltzerbooks.c