Richard Seltzer's home page  Publishing home

Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings

Chapter 45: Leave Now Arwen, Visions of a Dreadful Future

A Fanfiction by: John the Visionary, Docwho4243@aol.com


This is a work in progress (not yet complete). It is the best combination of anime and Lord of the Rings that I've seen yet,  which is why I asked John for permission to post it here.  Enjoy.  Tim Seltzer


John's Disclaimer: Disclaimer: The Lord of the Rings and RK are not mine. They belong to their authors, respectively J.R.R. Tolkien and Watsuki Nobuhiro. This fanfiction is created just for fun, not for any commercial purposes.


Summary: Here it is folks, a crossover between Rurouni Kenshin and Lord of the Rings. In this Kenshin & company defend middle earth and at the same time help a certain hobbit destroy the ring of power. 

A/n: well, at least it's not a whole month to wait. But, I have been up to date with my story, since it has already been written up, like how the movies were filmed.

Gijinka Renamon: I hope you're still interested in my fic. And thanks for writing that quote from Two Towers with Gimli and Legolas. I liked it.

Light02: thank you for your continuous support and praise for this fic. It is much appreciated.

Luis (X-over): I don't have a new e-mail yet. But, if you like, you can contact me via a review, even though you don't have to log in. And I hope you saved some of my e-mails to you, mentioning what I plan to do with Nathan Algren in this story, though it shouldn't be revealed to the other readers.

Dagorwen of Ithilien: I liked your second review. I hope you can continue to read this fic. And I'm doing the best I can to update quickly. Oh, and you can comment on what happened in this story if you want, I don't care.

Cyblade Silver: I thank you especially for your continued praise for my crossover, and for my everyday life.

And to all my other readers, especially the ones mentioned above: I have a little surprise in my author note at the end of the chapter. I think you'll enjoy it.


The sun began to rise. It was the fourth day. Everyone was expecting Gandalf and Kenshin to arrive with Eomer's group tomorrow. Sanosuke Sagara, with Kenshin's sakabato, Hope placed upon his back, ever continued to wander about in Helm's Deep, thinking about the others he and his comrades left behind in Kyoto. However, he was not aware of what has been happening since they left. And he wondered even now… if Aragorn has really died in the rushing waters or not, since they were attacked by Saruman's Warg-riders.

Suddenly, a voice spoke behind Sanosuke, "Sanosuke."

Sanosuke turned behind him… to see that it was Éowyn speaking to him.

"Oh, hi Eowyn," said Sanosuke, "I didn't know you were behind me."

"You seem preoccupied with something," Éowyn observed.

Sanosuke paused before he replied, staring into the sky, "…yeah… there is. I was just thinking about our other friends, who we left behind in our world to come here. When we left, we were being attacked by the Orcs, just as you guys were."

"…So you're wondering if they're okay?" inquired Éowyn, softly.

"…Yeah," answered Sanosuke as he turned to Éowyn, "…is there something you wanted to share?"

A pause of silence followed…

"…Yes," replied Éowyn, as she asked, "…do you believe that Lord Aragorn is really dead?"

Sanosuke paused again for a few minutes before answering, "…I don't really know for sure. I was also thinking about that just now. But I know that Gandalf came back from the dead after fighting that creature called a Balrog back in Moria. But now, come to mention it, I do remember when Saito faked his own death while--"

"Oh," Saito cuts in, with a mocking voice, "I resent that. I like to think that I cleverly escaped the explosions with my own agility."

"Grr," growled Sanosuke, "yeah, right. You like to think of everything, don't you, Saito?"

"Yeah," Saito smirked, "I couldn't help but listen in on your conversation about Aragorn. But… who knows, maybe there's a chance that Aragorn survived the fall. And if he did, maybe someone should go and see that he's okay, if you're all so attached to him."

Sanosuke and Éowyn went speechless to Saito's suggestion, as they've never thought about checking on Aragorn. Sanosuke did the same, when he tried to check in on Saito at Mt. Hiei, to see if he was dead, but was fooled in the end…

"…Do you think that Aragorn survived, Lord Saito?" asked Éowyn.

"Like I said, who knows?" repeated Saito

"Yeah," said Sanosuke, with brightened thoughts, "…he could make it, couldn't he? I think that I'll go and see if he's okay. Thanks for the suggestion, Saito. And this time, I'm not going to assume that he died like when I tried to check in on you at Mt. Hiei."

"Don't thank me moron," said Saito, "I'm just saying there's a good chance, nothing more."

Following Saito's suggestion, Sanosuke went to the stables and grabbed Hasufel, to ride towards the river where Aragorn fell into, from the cliff. Éowyn went up to Sanosuke as he mounted on the horse.

"Sanosuke," said Éowyn as she requested, "I would like to join you. I want to see if Aragorn is alive also."

"Thanks, but I'll handle this alone," replied Sanosuke, rejecting the offer.

"Please," pleaded Éowyn, "I don't want to wait here alone. It makes my heart despair each moment, thinking he won't return. What if you should go up against Saruman's hordes? You may not be able to survive. And I myself would like to help you and your friends against the evil that threatens our worlds."

"Yeah… I know you would," said Sanosuke, with much understanding, "but trust me, I can handle myself."

Éowyn's heart began despairing, as her help was refused once again.

"Hey, if you really want to help," Sanosuke said, reaching behind him, pulling Kenshin's sword from his back, to give to Éowyn, "you can hold this for me."

Éowyn looked puzzled to see Sanosuke give her Kenshin's unkilling sword for safekeeping.

"…Is this out of pity?" asked a bemused Éowyn.

"…No," replied Sanosuke, "because I like how you inquire about us, and hearing how good you are with swords and how they're cared for. This sword has a name too… its called Hope. Galadriel, lady of the Elves, named it herself, while we were at Lothlorien."

Éowyn smiled a little to know that the sword was named so by the Elves. Accepting the reality of her refused help to Sanosuke… she reached out… and carefully took Hope from Sanosuke's hand, promising herself to take care of it while Sanosuke was gone.

Éowyn turned to Sanosuke and resolved firmly, "…Then I will help you to look after this sword."

"Thanks," replied Sanosuke, "I'll be back to collect it… I promise you that."

Éowyn nodded at Sanosuke as he spurred Hasufel… and left the gates of Helm's Deep to look for Aragorn. The inquisitive shieldmaiden then walked towards a corner within the fortress… and slowly unsheathed part of the sword given to her by Sanosuke. She observed that it was quite different from any sword that would kill a living being. Éowyn became fascinated by Kenshin's character and strength, wondering now what kind of man was he, even though her thoughts firmly concentrated on Aragorn.


At a spot where a terrible battle with the Warg riders took place, Aragorn has fallen into a stream of rushing water, just over the cliff and was believed to be dead…

Aragorn's body floated down the sun-dappled river…

The flow of the water took the body to the shallows, where it lay there, not moving a muscle, or making the slightest sounds of breathing…

And somewhere, out there… Arwen constantly thought about her lover Aragorn at Rivendell, lying upon a chaise, and has felt his peril upon the river. Her spirit suddenly and immediately went to her lover's aid… appearing over Aragorn… and slowly kissed him, passionately…

"…May the grace of the Valar protect you," she whispered with her thoughts to Aragorn… before she disappeared.

Suddenly… Aragorn drew a slow, but deep breath… and his eyes opened. The Dunedain ranger was still alive, after that near fatal fall. However… he was still sapped of his strength from the fall as he dragged himself harshly onto the shore, but lost consciousness once again and became weaker.

But as all seemed hopeless for Aragorn…

A horse slowly approached the fallen rider… and knelt down before Aragorn, using its head to turn him over, nudging him, and nuzzling his face softly.

"…Brego," Aragorn mumbled to himself, naming the horse.

He groaned and moved slightly. Brego folded his front legs under himself and lay down beside Aragorn. Slowly… and painfully… Aragorn grabbed a handful of Brego's mane… and pulled himself onto the horse's back. When Aragorn mounted upon the horse, Brego carefully got to his feet and slowly trotted away, with Aragorn swaying on his back, barely alive.

Aragorn then remembered back to when he first met Brego…


In the stables, when the people of Edoras were getting ready for the long march to Helm's Deep, two soldiers were handling a very wild and very rowdy horse, which was getting too much for them to handle. The horse reared waving its hooves in the air as he screamed in anger, its sides were gleaming with sweat. The men dodged the flailing hooves, trying to control the angry horse with halter and rope. But they could not get it to settle down.

"Ho!" cried one of the soldiers trying to calm the horse.

Aragorn entered the stable carrying a saddle. Sanosuke was with him also. They oversaw what was happening with the horse just several stalls down. Sanosuke ran up to the horse and grabbed one of the ropes to assist the soldiers.

"Hey!" Sanosuke cried out to the horse, "Settle down, will ya? We don't have time to be upset."

But despite Sanosuke's efforts… the horse flared its anger even more, overpowering the strong-willed street fighter. The horse waved its head at Sanosuke… and knocked him down, tumbling on the ground. Éowyn, who worked several stalls down, stopped what she was doing as she watched what happened with Sanosuke. Sanosuke moaned and groaned after being forcibly thrown by the horse. Seeing this, Aragorn hastily put down what he carried and calmly approached the furious animal, as the horse danced on nervous hooves and tried to rear again.

As Aragorn tried to go over to the horse, one of the stablemen warned, "That horse is half-mad, my lord. There's nothing you can do, leave him."

"I think you better do what he said," Sanosuke agreed, while he was still on the ground, "even I couldn't calm this horse down."

Aragorn was next to the horse and chanted, "… Fæste! Stille nú…"

The horse danced and shook its head aggressively. It was still rowdy, but began to calm down a little…

"…Fæste," Aragorn continued chanting, gesturing the horsemen away to let him handle the horse, "…stille nú, nuu..."

Sanosuke began to stand up, filled with awe, and completely baffled at Aragorn's handling of the wild horse with such care, that it calmed even more. Aragorn then grasped the rope lightly as the horse was finally starting to settle. He lightly pulled the rope and caressed the horse's noble neck and head.

"…Fæste," Aragorn said to the horse as it finally calmed down, "…stille nú.

"Lac is drefed, gefrægon," Aragorn said to the horse in Elvish as he loosened the rope on its bridle, and gave the rope to one of the soldiers who wore chain mail over his head.

The horse stood trembling as Aragorn stroked his noble head. Sanosuke smiled at Aragorn's amazing feat with the horse. Even Éowyn was filled with awe with Aragorn's selfless care of the horse that he had just calmed.

'Man,' thought Sanosuke, with a smile, 'who would've thought that Aragorn could calm a wild horse like that? He's even more surprising as Kenshin is each moment.'

"…Hwæt nemnað ðe?" Aragorn kindly asked the horse, "hm? Hwæt nemnað ðe--?"

"His name is Brego," answered Éowyn, who was handling a saddle.

Aragorn and Sanosuke turned to her when she answered, apparently understanding, what Aragorn was asking of the horse… his own name.

"…He was my cousin's horse," Éowyn added sadly.

"Brego?" Aragorn said in surprise.

"Hmm," interjected Sanosuke, "…sounds like a very good name, Éowyn."

"Ðin nama is cynglic (Your name is kingly)," Aragorn said to Brego, agreeing with Sanosuke, "…man le trasta, Brego, hm…? Man cenich…?"

Éowyn then handed her saddle to one of the men and paced slowly toward Aragorn and Brego, fascinated with Aragorn even further, as he continued to calm and speak with the horse in Elvish.

"I have heard of the magic of Elves," said Éowyn, in great awe, "but… I did not look for it in a Ranger from the North.

"…You speak as one of their own," Éowyn concluded her assessment.

Aragorn turned to her and solemnly, yet quietly replied, "…I was raised in Rivendell… for a time."

"Yeah Éowyn," interjected Sanosuke, "Aragorn told me so, the first day we met."

Aragorn turned to his companion with a small, sad smile. He knew that he would enjoy having Sanosuke's companionship, despite his somewhat rude character. However, Éowyn became even more fascinated to hear that Aragorn was raised by the Elves. It made her more eager to learn more about him.

Aragorn looked up at the horse as he suggested to Éowyn, "…Turn this fellow free. He has seen enough of war."

Then Aragorn turned to leave Éowyn with Brego. Sanosuke stood for a few moments before leaving with Aragorn. Éowyn was left alone to deal with Brego…


Brego was set free and now… the horse had come to the aid of the man who calmed him down and shared friendship with. Together, they now slowly made their way to Helm's Deep.

Meanwhile, at Rivendell, Arwen continued lying on the bed looking pensive, deep in thought. Her father, Elrond came in.

"Arwen," Elrond said to his daughter, "tollen i lû (it is time)."

Arwen heard her father speak and sat up quickly.

Elrond went on, "I chair gwannar na Valannor. Si bado, no círar (The ships are leaving for Valinor. Go now, before it is too late)"

"I have made my choice." Arwen replied firmly.

Elrond slowly proceeded towards his daughter, as he said, impatiently, "…he is not coming back."

Arwen lowered her head, stubbornly refusing to listen to her father, making it very clear that she doesn't want to leave, as she remembered when Aragorn told her the same thing before he left with the Fellowship.

"Why do you linger, when there is no hope?" Elrond asked, trying to reason with his rebellious daughter

"There is still hope," returned Arwen, softly, "…even Kenshin believed there was hope… or why else would he come to this world, if not leave it to its doom?"

Elrond paused before he responded, "…Yes… I can see that Kenshin has had an effect on you. He is beginning to have an effect on everyone and everything he touches since he has been here… as he has been having a greater effect around the people back in his world."

Elrond went silent after his statement, as he understood Arwen's resolution. He truly sympathized with her and her devotion to Aragorn.

"…But if Aragorn survives this war, you will still be parted," added Elrond as he walked towards the window.

Arwen doubtlessly knew what her father was saying, because giving up her immortality would inevitably lead to her eventual death… as a mortal. "

Elrond paused before he went on, "…If Sauron is defeated and Aragorn made king and all that you hoped for comes true... you will still have to taste the bitterness of mortality. Whether by the sword, or the slow decay of time, Aragorn will die… "

Arwen began to see a vision of her future, shared by Elrond as he spoke…

She was dressed as a queen in mourning garb and looked down upon Aragorn, with the crown of Gondor on his brow, the sword of his ancestors in his hand, and dead. Mourners are walking around the altar, paying their final respects. Arwen was weeping over her dead husband…

Elrond sadly explained, "… and there will be no comfort for you, no comfort to ease the pain of his passing…"

"…He will come to death… "

"…An image of the splendor of the kings of men in glory, undimmed before the breaking of the world…"

As years passed… the body of Aragorn, was now cast as a monument in stone. Arwen stood before the monument veiled in black… still weeping and mourning her long lost love. And in all those years that have passed, she wished that Aragorn didn't have to die before she did…

"…But you, my daughter… you will linger on in darkness and in doubt… as nightfall in winter that comes without a star…"

Time passed again. Arwen could not take more of her mourning of Aragorn. On a day at sunset, Arwen… still veiled in black and weeping… walked alone endlessly through the deserted woods of Lothlórien. She remembered when the woods were full of her people, but now… they have been gone for many, many years and generations hence…

"…Here you will dwell… "

"…Bound to your grief, under the fading trees… "

"…Until all the world has changed and the long years of your life are utterly spent."

Arwen and Elrond's sad vision ended… and Arwen began to cry, not knowing of the hard road that lay ahead because of her decision. Elrond turned to his daughter, solemnly.

"…Arwen," he spoke to his daughter, concluding sadly, "…there is nothing for you here… only death."

Arwen looked at her father with those crying eyes of hers, shaken up after hearing her father's sad predictions of her future that tore into her like a demon. She didn't know whether to thank her father for telling her… or to curse him. Either way… she was now crying her heart out because of it. And like Kaoru's feeling for Kenshin… Arwen believed that she couldn't go on without Aragorn. She couldn't decide what to do next, with her soul as confused as it was…

Elrond went over to his daughter and sat beside her with his hand on her cheek. "A im, ú-'erin veleth lîn? (Do I not also have your love?)," he asked Arwen.

Arwen, out of sadness, fell into her father's embrace and replied, "…gerich meleth nîn, ada (You have my love, father)."


A procession of Elves, cloaked, and each carrying a lantern, set off from Rivendell proceeding on their journey to the West. Elrond watched their departure from a balcony with a stony expression. He also looked on as Arwen leaves with them. She had agreed to go with her people to the undying lands of Valinor.

Arwen turned back to look at her father one last time before she departed. Elrond continued to stare after her with an expression of resigned sadness. He truly understood his daughter's stubborness and sense of hope from within her. But, as a protective father, naturally, he had to do what he thought… was best for his daughter. Elrond had no regrets about what he has done, believing that Arwen will never be sad again.

After the company left, all was quiet in Rivendell. The city seemed to be deserted. Elrond continued to stay, standing at the window… as the Lady Galadriel spoke to him, with her thoughts, from the woods of Lothlorien:

…I amar prestar aen…

…Han mathon ne nen…

…Han mathon ne chae…

…A han noston ned 'wilith.

"The power of the enemy, is growing," said Galadriel, briefing Elrond on what was happening thus far…

"Sauron will use his puppet, Saruman, to destroy the people of Rohan… "

At Isengard, Saruman continued to communicate to Sauron using the palantir… and the army of Uruk-hai proceeded further, to march to Helm's Deep. The Uruks were heavily massed in great groups of soldiers with their spears and banners held high in the air…

"…Isengard has been unleashed…"

In Mordor…

The darkness began shrouding over the Gondorian City of Osgiliath, which was once the capital of Gondor before Minas Tirith, like an omen of incoming doom that settled upon the land… as the darkness within Kyoto grew like a blanket of lost hope…

"…The Eye of Sauron now turns to Gondor, the last free kingdom of men. His war on this country will come swiftly… "

"…And afterwards… the world that Kenshin Himura and his friends come from will suffer the same fate as Gondor… as well as the rest of Middle-Earth… "

"…He senses the Ring is close. The strength of the Ringbearer is failing. In his heart, Frodo begins to understand… "

"…The quest… will claim his life. You know this. You have foreseen it. It is the risk we all took…"

Elrond, hearing this explanation, is worried greatly. He has known, for a long time, that the ring's power of seduction was growing as much as Sauron's own power. In this instance, he looked at one of the Elven rings of power on his hand, Vilya, which once belonged to Gil-Galad, as reference to the doom of Sauron…

"…In the gathering dark, the will of the ring grows strong… "

"…It works hard now to find its way back into the hands of men. Men, who are so easily seduced by its power…"

Meanwhile Frodo, Kaoru, Sam, and Yahiko were being held prisoner by the cloaked rangers from Gondor. The travelers were blindfolded as they were taken to the rangers' hideout, led by the captain of Gondor. Yahiko, in addition to being blindfolded, was also gagged because of his foul-mouthed attitude…

"…The young captain of Gondor has but to extend his hand, take the ring for his own… and the world will fall…"

The rangers' hideout was Henneth Annûn, a cave behind a small waterfall. Kaoru, Frodo, Sam, and Yahiko were handed down into the cave, one by one…

"…It is close now, so close to achieving its goal…"

The Eye of Sauron continued to flare on top of Barad-dûr… surrounded by the swooping of the fell beasts, which carried the Ringwraiths. They were ready to strike at the whole of Middle-Earth, waiting to take the ring to their master, Sauron…

"…For Sauron will have dominion over all life on this Earth, as well as the other Earth, even until the ending of both worlds…"

Elrond, in Rivendell, while hearing this grave news, entered the library, looking upon the painting of Isildur facing off against Sauron with the broken blade of Narsil…

"…The time of the Elves is over. Do we leave Middle-Earth and Kenshin's world to this fate…? "

"…Do we let them stand alone…?"

Elrond deeply pondered Galadriel's question, while gazing long and hard, at the painting…


Meanwhile at Henneth Annûn, the captain of Gondor confers with one of his men, Madril and unrolled a map of Middle-Earth, poring over it, discussing the current situation.

"What news?" asked the captain.

"Our scouts report Saruman has attacked Rohan," answered Madril, while indicating places on the map, "Théoden's people have fled to Helm's Deep. But we must look to our own borders. Captain, Orcs are on the move, Sauron is marshaling an army. Easterlings and Southrons are passing through the Black Gate."

"How many?"

"Some thousands," Madril replied gravely, "more come every day."

The captain then pointed to another spot on the map as he asked, "who's covering the river to the north?"

"We pulled 500 men out of Osgiliath," Madril reported, "but if the city is attacked, we won't hold it."

The captain looked at Madril with concern, knowing that conditions were now worsening in Gondor. The leader then turned back to the map.

"Saruman attacks from Isengard… Sauron from Mordor," the captain said while pointing and tracing at Isengard and the Land of Mordor.

"The fight will come to men on both fronts… Gondor is weak," the captain added, poring over the map in deep despair, "Sauron will strike us soon… and he will strike hard. He knows now, we do not have the strength to repel him."

Elsewhere, in the cave, the four travelers' bonds were cut and their blindfolds were taken off. They look around in the cave and see a waterfall behind them. Yahiko's gag was also removed, but had a bitter look on his face.

"Creeps," Yahiko muttered.

Just then, the captain approached the travelers, standing in the middle of the hustle and bustle of his men.

"My men tell me you are Orc spies," he informed the captives.

"Spies?!" queried and exclaimed Sam indignantly, "now wait just a minute."

"Yeah," interjected Kaoru angrily, "do I look like an Orc to you, mister?"

"…I know you are a woman," the Captain responded, "and the other little one is a boy, but you both wear strange clothes. For all I know, you could be with the Haradrim or Wainriders. However… there have been rumors spread from here to Rivendell of people from another world. But as to their intentions… we do not yet know."

Frodo gasped in surprise that even though Kaoru, Yahiko and their friends' time in Middle-Earth was short… that they were already made known somehow, and this stranger suspected Kaoru and Yahiko's origins by just looking at their clothing.

"Maybe, mister," Yahiko interjected, "but Kaoru's right. We're not Orcs, Haradrim, or Wain-whatevers… even though she is ugly."

"WHAT DID YOU SAY, YAHIKO!" Kaoru yelled at Yahiko, manhandling him.

"Enough already!" commanded the Captain. Kaoru and Yahiko maintained their discipline afterwards.

"…Well if you're not spies, then who are you?" Faramir asked seriously as Frodo and the others remained silent for a moment.

The Captain sat upon a rock before the captives and said insistently and impatiently, "…speak."

"…We are Hobbits of the Shire," Frodo answered as he pointed to himself and Sam, "Frodo Baggins is my name and this is Samwise Gamgee."

"Your bodyguard?" the Captain asked.

"His gardener," Sam answered, a little offended.

The Captain then looked to Kaoru and Yahiko for their answer, "and you two are?"

"I'm Kaoru Kamiya of the Kamiya Kasshin Style of swordsmanship," Kaoru answered before gesturing to Yahiko, "this is Yahiko Myojin, my only apprentice."

"I see," the captain realized, "women who practice fighting with swords. And I thought he was your son or a relative."

"No sir," interjected Yahiko, "my parents are dead. Kaoru's parents are dead also. Kaoru and I basically have each other." Yahiko finished a little sadly.

"So… you've lost family, have you?" the Captain inquired of Yahiko.

"Yes sir," answered Yahiko, "over ten years ago. I went to live with Kaoru nearly half a year ago from where we come from."

"That's quite a long time to live without family," said the Captain, in sympathy to Yahiko, "I too have lost family… a brother… who was the greatest warrior of my land. And who many looked up to…

"…Even myself," ended the Captain solemnly.

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, sir," said Kaoru somberly to the Captain's feelings of his lost brother.

The captain sadly nodded to Kaoru's statements… then asked another question, "And where is your skulking friend?"

The captives lifted their eyebrows in surprise and confusion to the Captain's latest question.

"…That gangrel creature," he clarified for them, "…he had an ill-favoured look."

This question shocked the travelers greatly. They knew he was talking about Gollum. Sam tried to look at Frodo with out seeming to, from the corner of his eyes. Kaoru and Yahiko did the same. Frodo looked uneasy, as they were hesitant to answer.

With slightest hesitation, Frodo answered, "…There was no other."

The captain was somehow suspicious of Frodo's answer. Sam, Kaoru, and Yahiko grew nervous at Frodo's hesitant behavior.

Frodo went on, "We set out from Rivendell with twelve companions… one, we lost in Moria. Five of our companions are friends of Kaoru and Yahiko's."

"Yes sir," Kaoru interjected as the Captain turned to her, "their names are Kenshin Himura, Sanosuke Sagara, Misao Makimachi, Aoshi Shinomori, and Hajime Saito."

"More strange names," the captain assessed before asking, "…and the rest of your companions?"

Frodo explained further, "two are my kin. A Dwarf there was also, and an Elf. And two men; Aragorn, son of Arathorn, and Boromir of Gondor."

The last name seemed to shock the Captain as he paused for a moment before asking, "…You were friend of Boromir?"

"…Yes," Frodo answered sadly, "…for my part."

"Yeah, we all know Boromir," interjected Yahiko with a bit of disgust in his voice, "so what does that have to do with you, buddy?"

The captain felt insulted by that last remark. He stood up and looked away from the captives, lost in though for a moment.

Moments later…

He turned to face them and replied, "It would grieve you all then… to learn that he is dead?"

The statement made by the captain shocked the captives greatly as they gasped.

'Boromir is…' thought Yahiko.

'…Dead?' thought Kaoru, in great shock, 'when… did this happen?'

"…Dead?" Frodo asked, as he was the most shocked of the captives, "…How? When?"

"As one of his companions," the Captain returned tightly, "I had hoped you would tell me."

The captives waited in sympathy for why the captain acted like this.

"His horn washed up upon the riverbank, about six days past… it was cloven in two," the captain told the captives of what befell Boromir, "but more than this, I know it in my heart…"

The captain turned to Yahiko a little sharply, and finished in a pain-filled voice, "…He was my brother."

Frodo, Kaoru, Yahiko, and Sam were saddened by his answer, hearing that the man… the brother that he lost… was none other than Boromir.

"I'm sorry sir," Yahiko said, apologetically, "…I didn't know. Boromir never said he had a brother."

"Did you find anyone else who died?" Kaoru asked silently, fearing that perhaps… Kenshin may have been killed as Boromir, "…anyone perhaps, with a cross-shaped scar on his left cheek. That would be Kenshin."

"No," answered the Captain, "we found no one else… just Boromir."

Feeling a little relived that Kenshin may be alive, Kaoru said sympathetically to the captain, "…we're all sorry to hear about your brother, Mr.…?"

"Captain," the captain corrected her as he answered, "...Faramir."

"…Captain Faramir," Kaoru went on, "…for what its worth, we really don't need to be kept hostage here, now that you know our names. Would you please let us go, so that we can't trouble you further?"

Faramir turned to Kaoru, with a disproving look and replied "…I know your names… but I do not yet know why you are here. As I said to you before, you were found in a land where only the servants of Barad-dûr dwell upon. If I knew more about your purpose… I might be able to consider your request, Miss Kaoru."

Kaoru and the others became distressed that they would be Faramir's prisoners for just a bit longer. They all knew that they could not reveal to anyone about their quest to destroy the ring, especially to Faramir. The situation went from bad to worse. They all fled the Fellowship for two main reasons: they knew the ring must not go near Gondor, and they knew he couldn't delay the quest any longer. Now they were all surrounded by the Men of Gondor and delayed in their mission.

But the issue of Smeagol-Gollum was the hardest part. If Frodo were to lie, Faramir might disbelieve all he had to say. But if he were to tell the truth and betray the creature's trust, Frodo feared that Gollum would be treacherous as Sam and Yahiko believed the creature out to be. And, the men would certainly not allow them to continue on their way with Smeagol as their guide.

Frodo decided then, when Faramir asked him, that he could not betray the ancient Hobbit, though some truth would have to be told, as Kaoru felt the same way. However, with the Captain of Gondor, persistent as he is to finding out about their quest… the travelers may have no choice, but to tell Faramir of their quest. And with no more words exchanged…

Faramir then walked away from the travelers, leaving them with the shock of Boromir's death.


A/n: long chapter, isn't it? Well anyway, I'm still having trouble trying to get online from my computer, and trying to post it from other computers that I can see wherever I go.

Oh, here's the surprise I mentioned earlier:

Let it be known that on October 9, 2004,

"John, the visionary has successfully finished writing Section three of Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings, though he finished the Epilogue ahead of time early in March!"

That's right, I'm done with the writing of the whole fanfiction! And you're all invited to comment on that. I greatly welcome it.

And I heard that the Extended Edition of Return of the King would be out on December 14. So, I want to wait till I get the extended edition before posting Section 3, besides we all know what scenes were cut from the movie, don't we?

Not to mention… I'm still trying to get a job, and I should probably not post any more chapters until I get one. In the meantime, I'll be watchful of more reviews, as they come.

But, all that aside, please read and review.


Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings Believe it or not, there's more, lot's more to come. This is a work in progress. Yikes!!!
 


Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim/timseltzer.html

seltzer@seltzerbooks.com  privacy statement

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.c