Richard Seltzer's home page  Publishing home

Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings

Chapter 13: Flight to the Ford, Arwen helps Frodo

A Fanfiction by: John the Visionary, Docwho4243@aol.com


This is a work in progress (not yet complete). It is the best combination of anime and Lord of the Rings that I've seen yet,  which is why I asked John for permission to post it here.  Enjoy.  Tim Seltzer


John's Disclaimer: Disclaimer: I do not own Rurouni Kenshin or Lord of the Rings. RK is the property of Nobuhiro Watsuki and Lord of the Rings is the property of Professor J. R. R. Tolkien. By the way, this fanfiction is taken pretty much from the movie directed by Peter Jackson. I, like many of you, can't wait when Return of the King comes out. This is not for profit, only for entertainment.


Summary: Here it is folks, a crossover between Rurouni Kenshin and Lord of the Rings. In this Kenshin & company defend middle earth and at the same time help a certain hobbit destroy the ring of power.

The continuing pollution of Isengard worsens each moment. Mining machines lay across the land, covering every hole and tear in the ground. The Orcs mine the ore underneath the caverns of Isengard, as the hammering of the metal sounded out throughout the valley. Roars and screams also roamed throughout the valley…

But not so horrible than a fluttering of a moth that flew and soared through the mining operations… and up the tower of Orthanc.

The moth continued to fly up to the top of the tower… and flew directly towards Gandalf…

As it reached Gandalf…

Gandalf catched the moth very softly without crushing it… and muttered a set of instructions to it…

Moments later… he releases the moth to let it do its mission…

"Go, Gwaihir, go," Gandalf finished, whispering to the moth.


While that was going on…

The malicious mining operations continued… deep inside Isengard's caverns. Orcs hammered and sharpened their new, freshly created swords…

The trees that were torn down… continue to be tossed down into the caverns where they are chopped and thrown into their custom-made furnaces…

The ore in the earth is heated… and melted… and poured into their sword casts. Saruman oversees his operations with malicious pleasure…

The Orcs continue to forge armor as well. The pile of swords and armor increased rapidly.

Somewhere else in the caverns…

Orcs and Goblins twist their long sticks into the muddy-like ground. This was the place of breeding. Saruman oversees the breeding project as well…

Groans issue from within the mounds…

Something appears to be struggling to get out…

An Orc started to uncover the mud from the newly born Uruk-Hai creature from the ground. It was covered in some kind of bubble.

Then… the newborn Uruk-Hai suddenly broke out of its covering…

…And grabbed the Orc at the neck, choking it!

The Orcs tried to intervene… but Saruman stopped them by raising his arms and staff, wanting to see how deadly the Uruk-Hai can be. Finally… the newborn Uruk choked the last breath of its victim… and let it drop to the ground, dead. Saruman then lowered his arms.

The Uruk slowly rose from its covering…

The creature is massive… towering above the smaller Orcs, with huge teeth, and covered in birthing slime. Saruman looked at his creation with rapt admiration. The Uruk looked at itself as well as the surroundings as it snarled and growled.


Outside Isengard, unwilling to wait any longer… Kenshin begins to race towards Isengard, intending to rescue Gandalf…

But then…

A moth flutters nearby, which takes Kenshin by surprise and stops in his tracks. He looked at it with great curiosity as it flew over his head. Some way… somehow… Kenshin could sense that this moth had a message from Gandalf…

Getting the message…

Kenshin decided to wait as the moth flew away to carry out its other instructions provided by Gandalf…


In the wilderness, Frodo continued to be in agony from the wound. Everyone took a rest beneath a gathering of huge stone trolls. These were the same stone trolls that Bilbo talked to the hobbit children on the night of his birthday party. Frodo's eyes start to change color. His companions continually care for the ill Hobbit.

"Hold on, Frodo," said Kaoru.

"Look, Mr. Frodo!" Sam said to Frodo as he pointed at the stone troll structures, "It's Mr. Bilbo's trolls! Mr. Frodo…? He's grown cold!"

"Is he going to die?" asked Pippin.

"He's passing to the Shadow World," said Strider, "he'll soon become a Wraith, like them."

Strider's explanation causes more distress among the group.

"Oh no!" Kaoru cried in despair, "Strider, we can't let Frodo die!"

"I swear to you, Miss Kaoru," Strider promised, "that I will not allow that to happen."

After Strider made his promise…

Sounds hollered in the night!

"They're close!" Merry exclaimed a whisper. Sanosuke readies himself, cracking his fists.

"We gotta do something… and fast," said Yahiko.

"Yeah," agreed Sam, "no mistake about that, Mr. Yahiko."

Strider then had a suggestion. "Sam," called Strider, "do you know the Athelas plant?"

"Athelas?" Sam asked confused.

"Kingsfoil," Strider clarified for him.

"Kingsfoil, aye," answered Sam, "it's a weed."

"It may help to slow the poison. Hurry!"

Sam and Strider then scatter around for the Kingsfoil that may help Frodo. Strider then stumbles upon the Kingsfoil plant and uses his knife to cut. Then…

…Out of nowhere…

A sword appears beneath Strider's neck…

"What's this," said a female voice, "a ranger caught off his guard."


Somewhere else… in another forest… Aoshi Shinomori and Misao Makimachi walk together. Darkness has fallen there as well. They seemed to be lost.

"Lord Aoshi," said Misao, "are we ever going to find everybody?"

A pause. "We'll just have to wait and hope that we'll see them again."

"Sorry Lord Aoshi. Its just that… ever since our encounter with those creepy monsters and hearing about a threat from some creepy dark lord… it just cramps my style and I want to get that creep big time!"

"Calm down Misao. We're not going to get anywhere with you being mad all the time."

"How do you expect me to feel?" asked Misao angrily, "I went to all the trouble trying to give Himura a good time in Kyoto, only to be ruined again!"

Aoshi and Misao continue to trek through the forest. And somewhere…

…They both hear noises.

"What's that?" Misao asked. But Aoshi didn't seem to listen to Misao, only be in his train of thought.

"Hey, Lord Aoshi," wondered Misao. She went off to investigate, but went farther off than she thought…

She got herself tangled into a huge web and struggles.

"Ah! What's this?" Misao cried out, asking, "What's going on?"

Aoshi turns around and sees Misao in the web. "Misao, hold still," he said running towards her.

"Wait a minute," she thought for a moment…

"…This," said Misao in shock, "…this looks like… a spider web…"

Suddenly…

Noises come from the woods…

…And a giant spider crawls down towards Misao…

"AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!" She screamed at the top of her lungs…

Aoshi jumps up and slays the spider with his super-slicing Kaiten Kenbu attack. Misao freed her from the web.

"Oh, thank you Lord Aoshi," said Misao, embracing Aoshi. But then…

Aoshi jumps aside… and another giant spider that was about six feet in length, landed hard on the ground. Misao quivered with fear. Aoshi maintains his valiant expression…

And more spiders…

And more spiders…

And more spiders came out of the forest, towards their prey. Misao was scared of the spiders but despite her fear of spiders… she armed herself with Kunais to throw at them…

The spiders attacked and Aoshi began to slay them… one by one.

Misao threw her Kunais at the spiders, but it didn't hurt them much. Things became more perilous as Misao and Aoshi were completely surrounded by the spiders…

…And then…

Arrows shot out of nowhere… and a company of riders came along and attacked the spiders. They had swords, which they used to kill the giant bugs. Aoshi continued to help slay the spiders with his Kodachi swords.

The remaining spiders… then ran away in defeat.

The leader of the riders then spoke, "Are you and the young lady alright?" He had blond hair and long ears.

"Yes," answered Aoshi, "thank you for your help sir."

"I've seen you fight sir. You are very skilled indeed, skilled enough to surpass all of the Elves. May I offer you both shelter? I am Legolas Greenleaf, prince of Mirkwood forest elves, son of King Thranduil."

"So you are the Elves. Is this Rivendell then?"

"No stranger, but yes, we are Elves. What are your names?"

"I am Aoshi Shinomori and this is Misao Makimachi. We are not from this realm or world Sir Legolas, but from another world. We were separated from our companions while coming to this world."

"Yes sir," interjected Misao, "we're very concerned about them."

"I promise," resolved Legolas, "that we will find your friends. But why are you in this world?"

"If you take us to your place of shelter," said Aoshi, "we'll tell you."


Legolas then took them to his place of shelter. Aoshi filled Legolas in on what has occurred…
 

"So," said Legolas, "you are here because of the One Ring?"

"Yes," replied Aoshi, "and what's even more worse… the head of the wizard's order, Saruman the White has now joined with the Dark lord of Mordor to control Middle-Earth, as well the world that Misao and I come from."

"Are you sure of this?" asked Legolas.

"Yeah Legolas," interjected Misao, "the creatures that attacked us in our world were marked with a white hand, that Radagast the Brown confirmed as Saruman's personal trademark."

"Throughout the years of my long life," Legolas explained, "I've never heard such a startling revelation. Ever since my people were given the great three rings of power, things haven't been well after Sauron created the One Ring. And this forest called Mirkwood, was once known as Greenwood the great… until shadows of evil descended upon it."

Misao and Aoshi felt great sympathy for Legolas' home, knowing that it was once a peaceful forest until now.

Legolas explained further, "…long ago, there was an alliance between men and elves who fought against Sauron. Sauron himself was defeated, but his ring was never destroyed… but was lost throughout Middle-Earth… until now. This era… from 900 to 500 years before now… has been called, The Watchful Peace. After 3000 long years, the Dark Lord himself is finally returning."

"This puts everything in dire situations indeed," Legolas concluded, "…and the time of Watchful Peace… may soon be over."

"Indeed it will, Legolas," said Aoshi, "so will you help us get to Rivendell? We were supposed to be headed there from Radagast's portal, but we somehow ended up here."

"Yes… of course I will Aoshi," said Legolas.

Just then…

Elves came in with news. "Legolas!" one of the Elves cried out, "we have received a message from Rivendell. Apparently the One Ring of power has been found and a council is called to decide its fate. And it seems that more otherworlders have been found."

This statement made Aoshi and Misao gasp.

'Did they find everybody?' thought Misao, hopefully, 'I hope they did. This means that we'll finally be able to meet together in Rivendell, as planned.'

Legolas nodded. "Very well," he said, "we must leave at once."

Legolas then turned to face Aoshi and Misao, "Sir Aoshi and Miss Misao, your friends may have been found."


Meanwhile, at the forest where the stone trolls were gathered…

"Don't worry Frodo," said Kaoru, "we'll make sure you're well again."

Kaoru continued to comfort and care for Frodo… until she sees someone coming… and backs away slowly. Frodo, still passing into the Shadow World…

Spots a she-elf, coming towards him, on a horse. The She-elf then dismounts from her horse and walks slowly toward Frodo…

She was very beautiful in the Shadow World…

She had long, black hair… and wore a glowing, long-white dress.

She knelt down to the injured Hobbit, "…Frodo… Im Arwen. Telin le thaed (I'm Arwen. I've come to help you)…"

"Lasto beth nin, tolo dan nan galad (Hear my voice, come back to the light)," Arwen instructed Frodo.

As Frodo does what Arwen instructed…

A black stain spreads across his eyes. The poison is starting to take over…

The group wondered about Arwen.

"Who is she?" asked Merry.

"Well, whoever she is," said Sanosuke, "…she's beautiful."

"Frodo!" Arwen called out silently, kneeling besides Frodo.

Arwen was dressed in an elf warrior outfit in reality, and her hair was tied in a ponytail. Strider was beside her as he chewed up the Kingsfoil plant… and presses it into the wound.

"She's an Elf," stated Sam.

"Well," interjected Yahiko, "she's definitely prettier than Kaoru."

"This isn't the time for wisecracking, Yahiko!" objected Kaoru.

Arwen concludes her observation of Frodo, "he's not going to last… we must get him to my father!" Strider picks up Frodo with Arwen behind them.

"I've been," said Arwen, "looking for you for two days…"

"Where are you taking him?" wondered Pippin, but neither Strider nor Arwen could hear him…

Arwen continued stating, "…there are five Wraiths behind you. Where the other four are, I do not know."

Strider then mounts Frodo on the horse.

"Dartho guin berian. Rych le ad tolthathon (Stay with the hobbits. I'll send horses for you.)," said Strider in Elvish to his elf friend.

"Hon mabathon (I'm the faster rider)," countered Arwen, in Elvish, "rochon ellint im (I will take him)."

"Andelu i ven (The road is too dangerous)."

The others couldn't understand their language. "What are they saying?" asked Pippin…

Arwen went on, "…Frodo fir. Ae athradon i hir, tur gwaith nin beriatha hon (If I can get across the river, the power of my people will protect him). I do not fear them."

Arwen and Strider held their hands together in a loving, romantic touch.

"Beyest lin," said Strider. Arwen smiled and mounted onto her horse.

"Arwen," said Strider, "ride hard, don't look back."

Then Arwen commanded her horse, "noro lim, Asfaloth! Noro lim!" The horse then rode off.

Sam was still concerned as he cried out, "What are you doing? Those Wraiths are still out there!"

While Sam was full of despair… Strider, Kaoru, Yahiko, and Sanosuke could do nothing more than fill themselves with a shred of hope…


Arwen rode Frodo as fast and as hard as she could to get Frodo to Rivendell. Frodo's struggle was weakening. Arwen rode into a forest as she was almost near the river. Arwen thought that her rescue of Frodo would be easy. She told Strider that she was prepared to fight the Ringwraiths. She was about to get her wish…

The Ringwraiths themselves started to come up from behind her…

She looked to her side to see one of the Wraiths beside her…

Then she looked to her other side to see another Wraith beside her, through the trees…

There were just a few of them at first…

But then…

The numbers became greater as she raced out of the woods… and into a clearing meadow. Arwen was still… ahead of the wraiths. Despite her head start… the wraiths were now, hot on Frodo's trail…!

Arwen rode faster… and faster, as nearly all the Ringwraiths were behind her and Frodo, intending to kill them both. The chase began…!

The riders began to reach for Frodo, screeching their cries. He was nearly out of time. The Wraiths screeched more of their cries… as they were closing in on Frodo… getting closer and closer…

Arwen commanded her horse again, "noro lim, Asfaloth!" Her horse, Asfaloth, went as fast as he could…

…The chase intensified each moment… as Arwen raced her horse into another patch of the woods, scattering and dodging around the trees that were standing… and jumping over the downed trees around her, attempting to lose them, trying her best to keep Frodo from the Ringwraiths' reach…

Finally…

Arwen and Frodo reached the river… crossed it… and stopped, at least halfway. The Wraiths, on Arwen and Frodo's trail… stopped at the water's edge, not wanting to enter the river…

They screeched and screeched in great agony. Then… one of the Wraiths spoke, "Give up the halfling, She-Elf!"

Arwen drew her sword, "If you want him, come and claim him!" She challenged.

The Wraiths met her challenge as they drew their swords… and began to cross the river. As they did…

Arwen began chanting to the water…

"Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer… Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulaer…! "

The river started to rise as Arwen continued chanting…

"Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer… Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulaer…! "

The river continued to rise…

…And then rushed out as a flood of water that washes down the riverbed, being led by white horse-shapes! The Ringwraiths feared the rushing water and began to flee…

But the water was too fast for them to get away. The water crashed onto them… and slowly… but surely… washed the Wraiths away from Arwen and Frodo.

Afterwards, Frodo was losing his battle against the poison, as his breathing grew short. She immediately dismounted off her horse and lays Frodo on the ground…

"No, Frodo! No! Frodo, don't give in, not now!"

But it seemed too late…

Frodo stopped his breathing… leaving Arwen grieving tears for Frodo. She holds him softly… and passionately in her arms, communicating her thoughts to her father…

What grace is given me…

Let it pass to him…

Let him be spared…

Save him…

Frodo's world started to dissolve into light, surrounded by the chanting of the Elves…

"…Lasto beth nin," called out Elrond, one of the Elves, "…tolo dan nan galad… "


Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings Believe it or not, there's more, lot's more to come. This is a work in progress. Yikes!!!
 

Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim/timseltzer.html

seltzer@seltzerbooks.com  privacy statement

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.c