Richard Seltzer's home page  Publishing home

Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings

Chapter 21: Reach Lothlorien, Galadriel welcomes the Fellowship

A Fanfiction by: John the Visionary, Docwho4243@aol.com


This is a work in progress (not yet complete). It is the best combination of anime and Lord of the Rings that I've seen yet,  which is why I asked John for permission to post it here.  Enjoy.  Tim Seltzer


John's Disclaimer: Disclaimer: The Lord of the Rings and RK are not mine. They belong to their authors, respectively J.R.R. Tolkien and Watsuki Nobuhiro. This fanfiction is created just for fun, not for any commercial purposes.


Summary: Here it is folks, a crossover between Rurouni Kenshin and Lord of the Rings. In this Kenshin & company defend middle earth and at the same time help a certain hobbit destroy the ring of power.

Still grieving over the loss of Gandalf, the Fellowship journeys toward the Woods of Lothlorien for protection. The Fellowship came across a very cold stream called Dimrill Dale. As they drew near towards the woods, Aragorn ran up onto a rock.

Framed against a deep blue sky, he looked past the mountains to spot the greengold woods of Lothlorien from a distance…

After a long, stressing journey, the Fellowship jogged across a grassy field, towards the mystical woods of Lothlorien, halting under the eaves of the forest of tall, gold and silver-lined, and shapely trees. Lichen and moss covered the ancient trees. Leaves slowly twirled down to the earth.

As the Fellowship wandered deeper into Lothlorien, Gimli went nervous, so nervous that he was uneasy enough to tell the hobbits and Yahiko who were behind him.

"Stay close, young Hobbits! You too, as well, Master Yahiko," he said.

"What is it, Gimli?" asked Yahiko.

"They say," Gimli answered as everyone else listened intently, "that a great sorceress lives in these woods, an elf-witch… of terrible power. All who look upon her… fall under her spell…"

Suddenly…

Frodo heard a voice that echoed in his head, 'Frodo… '

The voice froze him solid. He looked around in shock, trying to find out where that voice was coming from. The voice was soft and feminine.

"…And are never seen again…" Gimli finished.

The echoing female voice continued to speak to Frodo… as a flash of feminine eyes appeared in his mind, 'your coming to us… is as the footsteps of doom. You bring great evil here, Ringbearer…'

Frodo froze again. Apparently, he was the only one who heard the voice…

"Mr. Frodo?" inquired Sam, wondering what was wrong with him.

Kaoru saw Frodo's shocked behavior as well. "Is everything alright Frodo?" she asked the mystified Hobbit.

Frodo nodded at her and Sam and kept moving.

Gimli continued his determination to avoid being… enchanted by the Elf-witch.

"Well," he said, "here's one Dwarf she won't ensnared so easily. I have the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox… oh!"

Gimli immediately found himself at the mercy of a bow and arrow, after that boastful remark…

Then… Elves, with drawn bows, began to surround the Fellowship, surprising them one by one. Legolas drew his bow as well, pointing at his kin. Saito and Kenshin, apparently, were the only ones who were not alarmed. Aragorn held his hands in the air, gesturing that he means no harm.

A voice came from the Elf archers, "The Dwarf breathes so loud, we could have shot him in the dark."

The Elf who spoke came out of the woods, facing the Fellowship. He had blonde hair, the same as the rest of his Elf archers, and was also armed with a bow.

'I can certainly agree with that,' thought Misao in an embarrassed manner.

Gimli growled at the insult.

Aragorn spoke to the lead Elf, "Haldir o Lórien. Henion aníron, boe ammen i dulu lîn. Boe ammen veriad lîn (Haldir of Lorien. We have come for help. We need your protection)."

"Aragorn," interjected Gimli, still at bowpoint, "these woods are perilous… we should go back."

"You have entered the realm of the Lord and Lady of the Wood," announced Haldir, "you cannot go back."

Haldir looked down at Frodo closely… yet warily. Frodo stared back at Haldir. The Fellowship wondered what the lead Elf was going to do with them…

"You will follow me," Haldir said to the Fellowship. The Fellowship followed Haldir, accompanied by the Elf archers.


The caravan of Elves led the Fellowship along a ridge, trekking even deeper throughout the golden woods. Boromir glances at Frodo behind him, as though concerned for the Hobbit.

"Frodo," Boromir spoke to Frodo, "Gandalf's death was not in vain... nor would he have you give up hope. You carry a heavy burden, Frodo... don't carry the weight of the dead."

"He's right," interjected Saito, "in time you will learn that it is normal to lose your own life, even if it is the life of someone who means a lot to you. If you dwell too long in the past… your defeat is assured Frodo, remember that."

"…Thank you, Saito," Frodo replied silently, with much uncertainty.

"Don't thank me, I'm just giving you some helpful advice in this time of crisis."

"Maybe," interjected Boromir, "but thanks for the advice anyway Saito."

Saito gave no reply to Boromir's gratitude. He, like many others in the Fellowship, was still watchful of Boromir because of his personal infatuation for the ring.


The group came up to the end of the high ridge and looked out. Below them, behind the mists, under sunset, a great glade of trees rose above the world, green and gold, with rays of light drifting from the branches of trees. The very sight of the glade greatly astonished even Kenshin and his companions.

"Caras Galadhon," proclaimed Haldir brightly, "the heart of Elvendom on earth, realm of the Lord Celeborn… and of Galadriel, Lady of Light."

'…Amazing,' thought Aoshi, continuing to be amazed and dazzled at the great glade of trees before his eyes.

"…Come," said Haldir, "they are waiting."


The Fellowship entered Caras Galadhon as night fell. The trees inside the city were very enormous, perhaps even taller than the towering pillars of Dwarrowdelf. In the blue glow of a moonlit night, the Fellowship climbed a twisting stair about the trunk of a tree, past glimmering lights of silver and blue.

Far above… the silhouetted shapes of the shadowy tree-branches loomed. Passing numerous platforms, they came to a great palace in the trees, lit with silvery lights. A curving walkway lies before them, leading up a low stair to an archway. Three-pronged, golden leaves were scattered about. Slowly, they gathered before the arch as Haldir stepped to one side, and looked up.

With a glow issuing forth from them, the Lord and Lady of Lothlorien descend to meet the Fellowship, hand in hand. Galadriel was very beautiful. Her hair was golden blond. She was dressed completely in white. Frodo, Kenshin, and the others were astounded by Galadriel's beauty, with wide, overwhelmed expressions in their eyes. Aragorn touched his head reverently in greeting…

Celeborn was the first to speak, "Fifteen there are here, yet sixteen there were, set out from Rivendell. Tell me where is Gandalf…for I much desire to speak with him."

The Fellowship put on sad faces to Celeborn's question.

Galadriel answered for them, " Gandalf the Grey did not pass the borders of this land… he has fallen into shadow." Galadriel looked upon Aragorn, reading the answer in his eyes.

"Yes," Kenshin agreed sadly, "…Gandalf has fallen in Moria, that he has." Galadriel greatly sympathized with him.

"He was taken," interjected Legolas, "by both Shadow and Flame… a Balrog of Morgoth. For we went needlessly into the net of Moria."

Misao cried silently, knowing that Legolas was correct. Gimli bowed his head, sadly.

"Needless were none of the deeds of Gandalf in life," said Galadriel, "We do not yet know his whole purpose."

Galadriel looked down upon Gimli and Misao's expressions of sadness by the mention of Gandalf.

The lady of Light said to them, "do not let the great emptiness of Khazad-dûm fill your heart, Gimli, son of Glóin… nor should you, Misao Makimachi."

Misao and Gimli both looked up at her in response to Galadriel's sympathy.

Galadriel went on, "for the world has grown full of peril. And in all lands… love is now mingled with grief."

"What now becomes of this Fellowship?" inquired Celeborn, "without Gandalf… hope is lost."

"The quest," Galadriel announced, "stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little and it will fail, to the ruin of all..."

She then looked at Boromir, who can't stand her gaze. He starts shaking and crying and casts his eyes downwards.

Saito humphed at Boromir's crying. Galadriel then looked at Saito, who had his usual cold, hard expression on his face. She smiled brightly at Saito's emotionless exterior. Then… Galadriel looked down at Sam and Yahiko who, in turn, continued to gaze at Galadriel, as well. She smiled at them also…

"Yet," she said, "hope remains… while the company is true."

Lastly, Galadriel looked upon Kaoru… and felt the great compassion within her. For she always showed it, no matter what the situation.

Galadriel faced the rest of the Fellowship, as she continued, "…do not let your hearts be troubled. Go now and rest, for you are wearied with sorrow, and much toil. Tonight, you will sleep in peace…"

'Welcome, Frodo of the Shire,' Galadriel said, communicating with her thoughts to Frodo, as she widened her eyes at him, '…one who has seen the EYE!'

In that instant… Frodo remembered those eyes. They were the same eyes he saw in his mind.


Later, the Fellowship was provided with an area them to rest in, on the ground. The Fellowship began to set up their beds for their time of peaceful sleep, flourished by the soft, sweet singing of Elves within the trees…

"A Olorin i yaresse…

Mentaner i Numeherui… "

Out of curiosity Saito asked, "what is this singing about?"

"…It's a lament for Gandalf, Saito," Legolas said softly.

"This song… is in honor of Sir Gandalf?" asked Kenshin.

"…Yes," answered Legolas, "indeed it is Kenshin."

"Its beautiful," Kaoru sadly interjected, "…the very essence of this song is as beautiful as you and your people Legolas."

Legolas paused before he answered, "…That is the most wonderful thing to say about the elves. I thank you for your insight of my people, Miss Kaoru."

Kaoru smiled back at Legolas.

"…I only wish that Gandalf was here with us… so he could hear this song," Kaoru added solemnly, as the lament went on, sadly chanting…

"Tirien i Romenori…

Maiarion i Oiosaila…

Mana elye etevanne… "

"What do they say about him?" Merry asked Legolas.

"I have not the heart to tell you," replied Legolas, "…for me, the grief is still too near."

Misao maintained her sad expression. 'Yeah,' she thought, 'I must know exactly how you feel, Legolas. In a way…Gandalf kinda reminded me of Gramps.'

The Elves continued to sing their beautiful, enchanting song, in honor of Gandalf…

"Norie i melanelye?

Ilfirin nairelma…

ullume nucuvalme…

Nauva i nauva...

Ú-reniathach…

i amar galen…

I reniad lín ne môr, nuithannen. "


Aragorn and Kenshin spot Boromir, seated on a great tree root. He appeared to be restless. Aragorn assured him, "Take some rest. These borders are well-protected."

"I agree, Sir Boromir," said Kenshin, as he smiled, "it is important that you recover your strength, that it is."

"…Rest?" Boromir queried incredulously, "…What rest? I will find no rest here, Kenshin."

Kenshin and Aragorn's concern for Boromir's restlessness grew greatly.

"I heard her voice inside my head," Boromir continued, "she spoke of my father and the fall of Gondor. She said to me, even now, there is hope left, but I cannot see it. It is long since we had any hope."

Kenshin and Aragorn sat beside Boromir, hoping to give him some comfort. After a long pause… Boromir began to tell his reasons for his lack of hope.

"…My father is a noble man," Boromir explained, "but his rule is failing, and now our... our people lose faith. He looks to me to make things right, and I would do it, I would see the glory of Gondor restored."

Kenshin interjected for a moment, "…I have no doubt that you would, Sir Boromir."

Boromir looked at Kenshin. He was gladdened by Kenshin's comment.

"…For what it's worth," Kenshin went on, "I understand all too well about losing hope, that I do. I felt, for a long time, that I've lost all vestiges of hope or faith, ever since I fought and killed many people during the revolution, back in my world. Even though I have sworn never to kill again… I believed that my life was entirely meaningless, because the sins of my past weigh very heavily on me, no matter how much I look for redemption…

"Just as the sins of Aragorn's ancestor weigh heavily on him. But then… my master told me that the will to live is stronger than anything known to man."

Aragorn looked sadly at Kenshin, thanking him for his comfort and counsel.

"…It seems," Kenshin continued further, "that you're looking for redemption yourself, Sir Boromir, that you are. Even though, you do say, that your father's rule is failing. I've noticed for some time that you are enticed to bring the ring to Gondor, and you still are tempted to do so. There's one thing I do know… if you are looking for redemption for Gondor, the ring won't give you the necessary redemption you seek, that it most certainly can't.

"If you truly wish to accomplish your goal, you yourself must have the will to live," finished Kenshin.

After Kenshin's long, dramatic explanation… Boromir still felt a little uneasy.

"I don't know if I have the will to do anything Kenshin," he stated, "…even live."

A pause came between the three of them…

"There is much in what you say, Kenshin," said Aragorn, "I agree with you. Perhaps… someday… we will all learn never to kill again."

Silence came between them again…

"…Have either of you seen the White City?" Boromir suddenly asked. "Have you seen it Aragorn? Have you seen it Kenshin, in all the time you've been here? The White Tower of Ecthelion… glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver, its banners caught high in the morning breeze? Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?"

"I have seen the White City," said Aragorn, "…long ago."

"I haven't seen this White City," said Kenshin, "but the way you describe it… it must be a very beautiful place, that it is. When this is all over, I promise… that I will visit your White City, Sir Boromir."

"Yes, indeed you shall Kenshin," said Boromir as he laid his hand on Aragorn, "because one day, I and Aragorn's paths shall lead us there… and the tower guard shall take up the call… 'The lords of Gondor have returned!'"

Aragorn smiled slightly, then he looked away in deep thought. He may not have been too happy with Boromir's remark because he still had to deal with his personal demons, as much as Kenshin. Kenshin greatly sympathized with Aragorn's feeling of uncertainty.


The Fellowship was asleep. Shining with soft white light, a figure in a flowing dress walked by them. Frodo woke up with a start as though by some invisible sign…

He saw Galadriel, gliding past Elven statues among the trees, frozen amid their merriment in the dark night; she looked neither to the right nor left, nor made any apparent sign.

Frodo proceeded to follow her, as though beckoned…


Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings Believe it or not, there's more, lot's more to come. This is a work in progress. Yikes!!!
 


Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim/timseltzer.html

seltzer@seltzerbooks.com  privacy statement

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.c