Richard Seltzer's home page  Publishing home

Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings

Chapter 28: Rohan under siege, burn every village!

A Fanfiction by: John the Visionary, Docwho4243@aol.com


This is a work in progress (not yet complete). It is the best combination of anime and Lord of the Rings that I've seen yet,  which is why I asked John for permission to post it here.  Enjoy.  Tim Seltzer


John's Disclaimer: Disclaimer: The Lord of the Rings and RK are not mine. They belong to their authors, respectively J.R.R. Tolkien and Watsuki Nobuhiro. This fanfiction is created just for fun, not for any commercial purposes.


Summary: Here it is folks, a crossover between Rurouni Kenshin and Lord of the Rings. In this Kenshin & company defend middle earth and at the same time help a certain hobbit destroy the ring of power.

Misao Makimachi jumped across a rocky plain, in pursuit of the Uruk-hai who have captured Merry and Pippin. Using her skills of stealth, she was able to avoid being spotted by the Uruks. After three days of endless tracking… she was able to spot the Uruks. They continued to march through the plain.

"Hmm, Gotcha," Misao said quietly, "…somehow, I've got to get to Merry and Pippin without getting myself killed."

The marching band of Uruk-Hai has Merry and Pippin bound to the backs of two Uruk-hai. Pippin was entirely conscious while Merry was unconscious with a gash on his right brow.

"Merry," Pippin called out, silently, "Merry!" But there was no response from the injured, unconscious Hobbit.

Suddenly, an Uruk raised his fist, signaling a stop. Suddenly…

Orcs, led by Grishnákh, came out from the rocks, in front of the Uruks and went over to them.

"You're late," said Grishnákh, "our master grows impatient, he wants the Shire-rats now."

"I don't take orders from Orc-maggots," the Uruk called Uglúk said, defiantly, which insulted the Orcs, "Saruman will have his prize. We will deliver them."

Uglúk then turned away as Grishnákh snapped his mouth, growling at the defiant Uruk.

Misao, with her trained ninja senses of sight and sound, saw the unfolding drama from above the cliffs.

'Something weird is going on here,' thought Misao, suspiciously, 'aren't they supposed to be on the same side?'

Then in the growing tension, another Uruk called Maúhur began to sniff the air around him, catching Ugluk's attention. He wondered what was happening.

"What is it?" asked the Uruk, "what do you smell."

The sniffing Uruk turned to his comrade and growled, "Man-flesh."

The announcement even made the Orcs look around.

"They've picked up our trail!" Uglúk assessed, confirming it to be the seven other Fellowship members, besides Misao.

"…Aragorn, Kenshin," Pippin said to himself, with a small, hopeful smile.

Misao heard the Uruks from above.

'Man-flesh,' she thought, 'can he mean, ah! It must be Aragorn, Himura, and the others. They must be following these Uruk creeps too! I hope you're following along too, Lord Aoshi.'

"Let's move!" cried Uglúk.

The Uruk-Hai quickened their pace, becoming faster than before. The Orcs joined along with them, despite their recent quarrel with the Uruk-Hai.

Misao noticed this, and quickened her pace as well, determined to keep very close to them.

Pippin began to reach and struggle with his Elven brooch with his teeth. He then tore it off his cloak, looked around to see if the Uruks were watching… and dropped it onto the ground, to leave for the others to find. A foot stomped onto the brooch… but it remains unbroken and visible on the grass.


From far away, on top of a hillside…

Aragorn lies with his eyes closed and ear pressed to the ground, listening for the sound of footsteps. Kenshin was lying right eside him. Moments later… Aragorn lifted his head, looking up.

"What's happening, Aragorn," asked Kenshin.

"Their pace has quickened, Kenshin," he said, "…they must have caught our scent. Hurry!"

Aragorn then ran off, in the lead.

"Hey Kenshin, " a voice called out.

It was Sanosuke. He was down below the hill with Saito. Aoshi, Legolas, and Gimli were behind them.

"What's going on?" asked Sanosuke.

"We must hurry, Sano," replied Kenshin, "the Uruk-Hai have increased their speed, that they have."

Kenshin ran off with Aragorn as well.

"Oh great," said Sanosuke, as he starts to run, "I hope we don't lose them."

"You're a moron," interjected Saito.

"Would you stop nit-picking me, Saito," fumed Sanosuke.

Aoshi quickened his pace as well. 'Hold on, Misao,' thought Aoshi.

Legolas turned his head behind him.

"Come on, Gimli," he called out.

Gimli was way behind them.

He paused in his steps and huffed to himself, "…Three days' and nights' pursuit. No food… no rest… and no sign of our quarry, but what bare rock can tell!"

The Dwarf slowly continued forward.

Gimli was right, they were in pursuit of the Uruks for three days. Misao has had a great head start because of Boromir's funeral. The Seven Hunters ran across rocks and plains, with Aragorn in the lead, followed by Kenshin, Sanosuke, Saito, Legolas, Aoshi, and Gimli. From time to time, Legolas looked behind him, making sure Gimli kept up with them.

At the spot where the Uruks started to increase their speed, Aragorn was able to spot something on the ground, but faintly. He bends down and picked up an Elven brooch, looking at it. Kenshin observes with him.

"Its one of the Hobbit's Elven brooches," stated Kenshin, "they must've left this for us to find, that they have."

"Indeed," replied Aragorn, "…not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall."

"Aragorn, Himura," interjected Aoshi as he and Legolas came up to them, "I found this from above the hill."

Aoshi showed them a piece of paper with an Oniwaban group message on it.

"Miss Misao must've left that note," said Kenshin.

"Indeed," replied Aoshi.

"Then," interjected Legolas, "they may all yet be alive."

"Less than a day ahead of us," said Aragorn, as he stepped off a few paces before quickening his own pace, "come!"

Legolas, Kenshin and Aoshi ran off with Aragorn.

Saito and Sanosuke came down a hill. Moments later… Gimli stumbled from behind some rocks… and rolled to the ground, taking Saito and Sanosuke by surprise.

"Easy, Dwarf," said Saito.

"Why don't you take it easy, Saito!" grunted Gimli.

Legolas said to the Dwarf, "Come, Gimli. We're gaining on them!"

Gimli picked himself off of the ground and follows along, panting.

"I am wasted on cross-country!" he cried, "We Dwarves are natural sprinters! Very dangerous over short distances!"

"Well, you only live once, Gimli," called Sanosuke.

"Sanosuke," said Gimli, "your wisecracking overwhelms me so! Oh, what I wouldn't give for longer legs!"

The Trackers then came over a hill… and pause as they gazed across the plains below.

"Where are we?" wonders Sanosuke.

"We are in Rohan, Sanosuke," answered Aragorn, "the home of the horse-lords."

As they gaze over Rohan, Aoshi and Legolas ran up ahead, to pinpoint where the Uruks are heading.

"…There is something strange at work here," mentioned Aragorn, having a premonition, "…some evil gives speed to these creatures, sets its will against us."

After a few moments, Kenshin added darkly, "…I feel it too, Aragorn, that I do."

Aoshi stood on top of a rock-hill, seeing a trail of smoke, from afar.

"Legolas," he said, "look!"

Legolas came up to him, and saw the trail more clearly than Aoshi.

Aragorn called out, "Legolas, what do your Elf eyes see?"

"The Uruks turn northeast!" answered Legolas as he made an assessment on the Uruk's destination, "…they're taking the Hobbits to Isengard!"

Hearing this revelation shocked everybody as Aragorn said to himself, "Saruman."


Meanwhile at the now barren, smoking land of Isengard, ruled by the corrupt Saruman, Saruman himself is inside the tower with his hand over the palantir, communicating with Sauron…

The world is changing…

Who now has the strength to stand against the armies of Isengard…

And Mordor…

The palantir showed the land of Mordor, and the fortress of Barad-dûr. Where molten lava, flowing from Mt. Doom, went into it's mote… and great armies of Orcs marching from the fortress…

…To stand against the might of Sauron and Saruman…

And the union of the Two Towers…

On top of the tower of Barad-dûr, the flaming eye of Sauron shines its evil light throughout Mordor, with the fires erupting more violently from Mount Doom…

…Together, my lord Sauron, we shall rule this Middle-Earth…

And soon after, Himura's world will fall before us…

Saruman stood on the edge of one of his mining platforms, observing the mining operations. He had many Uruks made, but not the necessary weaponry available. Saruman felt that the Orcs weren't working fast enough.

The corrupt wizard turned around and ordered the Orcs, "I want them armed and ready to march within two weeks!"

"But, my lord, there are too many," an Orc reported, "they cannot all be armed in time. We don't have the means."

"Build a dam, "Saruman suggested strongly, "block the stream, work the furnaces, night and day!"

"We don't have enough fuel to feed the fires," the Orc assessed.

"…The Forest of Fangorn, lies on our doorstep," Saruman stated as he looked up to see a beautiful, lush, green forest, just right for the plucking…

"Burn it!" Saruman ordered as he went away.

"Yes!" exclaimed the orc, with a malicious smile.

The Orcs went over to the aforementioned Fangorn Forest and tore and ripped down the trees, bringing and dropping them into the smoking caverns of Isengard, where they are chopped up and used to feed the huge furnaces. The fires of industry glowed around the treacherous caverns. Sounds of hammering filled the air and molten iron was poured into casts to forge weapons and armor. Saruman inspects his line of production with great malicious pleasure…

…The Old World will burn in the fires of industry…

The forests will fall…

A new order will rise…

We will drive the machine of war with the sword, and the spear, and the iron fists of the Orc…

More Uruk-hai warriors were born every minute, emerging from their birth pods. An Orc inspects the newborn warriors, one by one. Saruman walked over to each new legion of Uruk-hai.

…We have only to remove those who oppose us…


In the tower of Orthanc…

Saruman conferred with one of the Wild Men of Dunland, who were rugged, primitive, had horrid, feral-like faces, and savage beyond anything in Middle-Earth.

"We will fight for you," the wild man pledged.

"Swear it," Saruman icily insisted.

To seal his oath, the Wild Man drew his blade… and used it to slit the palm of his hand. Saruman observed this act, giving his most sinister smile he had since making his first batch of Uruk-Hai that went after the Fellowship.

After slitting his hand, the Wild Man balled it into a fist, letting the blood gush out at great quantities, as it ran over his knuckles and… dripped freely onto the floor…

"…We will die… for Saruman!" the Wild Man pledged again, even more fiercely.


At night…

The Wild Men gathered at Isengard, armed with swords and torches. Saruman stood in their midst, ranting to them.

"The horsemen took your lands!" cried Saruman, "They drove your people into the hills, to scratch a living off rocks!"

"Murderers!" cried out the Wild Men as they raised their weapons and torches in the air.

"Take back the lands they stole from you," said Saruman, "BURN EVERY VILLAGE!"

Saruman stood coldly among the stampede of Wild Men as they roared out, sending them off on their genocidal crusade, to the Land of Rohan, with a band of Uruks alongside them.

Saruman continued his report to Sauron:

…It will begin in Rohan…

Too long have these peasants stood against you, but no more…


Meanwhile at a Rohan village, the people, in mass panic, see the on-coming pillage and try to escape. A woman of the village called out to her children, Freda and Éothain. She had a hand on a horse for them to ride on.

"Éothain! Éothain!" she called as Eothain ran to his mother and mounts on the horse, "You'll take your sister. You'll go faster with just two."

As the woman puts her daughter, Freda, in front of her older brother, Freda complained, "But Papa says Éothain must not ride Garulf, he is too big for him!"

"Listen to me," instructed the mother, "you must ride to Edoras and raise the alarm. Do you understand me?"

"Yes, mama!" answered Eothain.

"I don't wanna leave!" Freda cried, shedding her tears, "…I don't wanna go, Mama!"

The mother kisses her daughter's forehead and assured her, "I will find you there."

Just then, another woman screamed… the Uruk-hai and Wild Men were approaching. They were almost at the village.

The mother ordered her children, "Quickly!"

The children ride off to Edoras, the Capitol City of Rohan.

"…Go child!" the mother silently states her parting words to her children.

The Dunland wild men and Uruk-hai entered the village, burning everything in sight as the people scream and run off in all directions. Éothain and Freda wept as they look back from a distance… and rode forth to Edoras.

…Rohan, my lord, is ready to fall… Saruman finishes.


In another part of Rohan, a group of horsemen ride to Edoras. Their leader was Eomer, the Third Marshal of the Riddermark, nephew of the king, Theoden. Eomer was carrying the king's son, Théodred, who was gravely wounded, ambushed by the Uruk-Hai at the Fords of Isen.

As they arrived, Eomer's sister, Eowyn, walked hastily up the stairs to the Golden Hall palace of Edoras and entered a bedchamber to see her cousin in grave peril. She ran to his bedside.

"…Théodred," said Eowyn.

Théodred seems to hear her call but was unable to respond. He had a bloody gash on the side of his head. Éomer nodded to Éowyn in the direction of Théodred's torso. Éowyn drew back the covers… and upon seeing Théodred's fatal wound, her lips tighten and her eyes close. She looked up to catch Éomer's eye, who returned her expression of concern with his own.


In the Golden Hall throne room, Eomer and Eowyn speak to their uncle, who sat motionless on his throne, wizened, and aged beyond his years.

"Your son is badly wounded, my lord," said Eowyn, full of concern.

"He was ambushed by Orcs," added Eomer, "…if we don't defend our country, Saruman will take it by force."

"That is a lie," interjected a voice coming from the shadows. A man with creepy, greased long hair and an ill look on his face appeared from beside the throne. It was the king's counselor, Grima Wormtongue.

"…Saruman the White has ever been our friend and ally," finished Wormtongue.

Just then, Theoden began mumbling, "…Grima… Grima… "

Wormtongue leaned down beside Theoden as he continued mumbling, "…my son…? Grima…"

Eomer continued stating his allegations, "Orcs are roaming freely across our lands. Unchecked, unchallenged, killing at will. Orcs bearing the White Hand of Saruman."

Eomer carried a helmet that he brought back from the Ford, along with Théodred, with him to show the king as he dropped the helmet… and toppled, revealing the white hand, the proof that Saruman was a traitor. Wormtongue has a shocked look upon his face as Eowyn and Eomer both look at him with content. But Wormtongue regained his wits.

"Why," asked Wormtongue, smoothly, "do you lay these troubles on an already troubled mind? Can you not see? Your uncle is wearied by your… malcontent, your warmongering."

"…Warmongering?" Eomer asked, greatly insulted by Wormtongue.

Then he grabbed the eerie counselor… and pinned him to a pillar, interrogating him.

"How long is it since Saruman bought you?" Eomer asked intensely, "What was the promised price, Grima? When all the men are dead, you will take your share of the treasure?"

In response…

Wormtongue's eyes flicked to the right, watching Éowyn as she walked by. Éowyn stopped to stare back for a moment as Wormtongue stared at her before departing from the hall, not wanting to see this brute force… or Wormtongue for that matter. Éomer, believing that it was Eowyn that Wormtongue was after, jerked him again… and clutched his hand around his jaw.

"Too long have you watched my sister," said Eomer, fiercely, "too long have you haunted her steps."

As he continued to give the counselor his well-deserved torture, the counselor's eyes turn left and then right. Suddenly…

Eomer was taken by surprise when the guards pulled him off of Wormtongue.

"You see much Eomer, Son of Eomund," states Wormtongue, "…too much."

The guards punched Eomer in the stomach as Wormtongue announces, "You are banished forthwith from the kingdom of Rohan, and all its domains… under pain of death!"

"You have no authority here," growled the struggling, defiant Eomer, "your orders mean nothing!"

The guards punched Eomer once more for his defiance of the counselor's proclamation.

"Oh, but this order does not come from me," Wormtongue said calmly, yet sinisterly, "it comes from the king."

Eomer refused to believe so but… Wormtongue pulled out a paper, and showed it to him, noting the order of Eomer's banishment, marked with the king's signature, along with the Seal of Rohan…

"He signed it this morning," Wormtongue added his confirmation, holding the paper for Eomer to see.

Eomer looked at the banishment papers in disbelief and then sets his eyes upon the sinister counselor, believing that he had a part in it.

"Argh!" Eomer roared as the guards dragged him away.


A/n: So what did you think of these chapters. I hope any of you people bought the Extended Version of the Two Towers because some of those lines are in these first two chapters. And from today (Nov. 24), it is now 23 days to Return of the King. And if you've seen one of my reviews, you'd notice a website. The link is:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/3267993.stm

It is an article saying that Peter Jackson will cut out 'The Voice of Saruman' scene from Return of the King, which kinda sucks, by the way.

But all those aside, please Read and Review, thank you very much. And thank all the others for their reviews:

Rogue Solus, Kell Shock, Bloody Vixen, Light 02, Pk1, Cyblade Silver, White Wizard 101, Quatre Winner, Luis, Texcalico13, etc. for all their reviews and praises.

See you next time.


Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings Believe it or not, there's more, lot's more to come. This is a work in progress. Yikes!!!
 


Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim/timseltzer.html

seltzer@seltzerbooks.com  privacy statement

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.c