Dimensional Exchanges

By XyoushaX
 

Chapter 31: Cutting Out the Heart



 (Tim Seltzer, seltzer@seltzerbooks.com)


Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto. I do not own Wedding Peach. I do not own any great quantity of money or property. I'm a STUDENT; that's why I'm poor, okay? 

Author's Notes: There are so many questions that I haven't answered yet. Well, the important ones, such as what is happening in the Shinobi World, what exactly is happening to Sakura's mental and physical abilities, what is she supposed to look like in the future — I can only reveal that as the story progresses. (Yes, I like using suspense. Why? Because I am evil.)

All I can give away about Sakura's appearance: she will NEVER have wings. No demon wings, no angel wings, because most demons and angels don't have them anyway in this alternate universe, i.e. other dimension. Not even Momoko or Yousuke have them in the original series. (Momoko is a love-angel, by the way. She and her teammates get them in the OVA, but that is about it.) No wings, and that is FINAL.

I also like showing flaws and weaknesses of the characters. Which comes to the topic of Minoru: I'll reveal more of his past and deep secrets soon.


Flecks of blood sprayed on Sakura.

With a shocked look on his face, the thief let go of his weapon as he gagged. The sword missed the girl — it flew off, landing on the rotten leaves on the ground.

An arrow was sticking through the man's neck. The blood from his jugular veins flowed, blocking his air passage and dripping into his lungs.

Sakura couldn't move as she watched. She was glad she was saved — some part of her even enjoyed seeing her enemy fall. Yet at the same time, the pink-haired girl could not stand watching him die so painfully. Even her Kanashibari no Jutsu did not go this far.

'Just die quickly — PLEASE!!' she mentally screamed.

As if answering to Sakura's inner pleadings, another arrow sunk into the thief's skull. Brain-dead, his body dropped on the ground.

Sakura groaned. Her emerald eyes turned to her savior.

Minoru stood there, calmly lowering his bow. Potamos appeared behind the elf, already recovered and cheerful. Accompanying them was an elfin lady, her brown, braided hair reaching her waist. She had a bow and a quiver of arrows on her back, and a thin sword at her waist.

The kunoichi heaved a sigh. "Minoru-san, thank you."

"Mino-chan, that was awesome!!" Potamos squealed. The water-demon gazed on the corpse with a mischievous glint in her eyes. "Too back you missed that first shot, though."

"I didn't," the elf flatly stated. "Sakura-san, you held up well. You did your duty." He then turned to the elfin lady behind him, and introduced Sakura to her. "Laila, this is Haruno Sakura. Sakura-san, this is Laila of Ramah village — she has agreed to be our guide and help us find lodging."

The kunoichi gulped as the lady came to her. Laila was beautiful, and very wise-looking. She did not walk. She glided.

Seeing that the human girl only had some scratches and exhaustion, Laila proceeded to look over the dead thief.

Her whitish-pink lips frowned slightly. She turned back to Sakura. "You are no ordinary human," Laila smoothly told her. "You lasted over twenty minutes fighting him without being killed. Many a magical creature is fallen because of him."

'I could have killed him if I were stronger,' Sakura thought.

Laila paused, then looked back to the corpse. She closed the dead thief's eyes with her long fingers, and touched his forehead. She began to chant some words.

Minoru helped Sakura up off the ground. The girl wiped away some flecks of her opponent's blood from her face. "What is Laila doing?" she asked Minoru in a whisper. The kunoichi did not understand the elfin tongue, but the words sounded flowing and very sad.

"It is a blessing for beings who leave corpses when they die in the Rifts," Minoru answered quietly. "It disposes of the body, and supposedly helps the soul when it goes to the unknown."

A glowing spot formed on the thief's forehead where Laila's fingers touched. The corpse slowly faded away, until nothing was left. The man's clothing and supplies floated onto the ground. Laila put the items in a white, mesh-like bag, and then fetched the thief's fallen sword.

"Come now," she addressed to the three as she stood up, "before the mountain moves too far away from the village."


Sakura took a quick shower. It was already five in the morning when Laila led them to an inn for travelers in Ramah village. The kunoichi slipped in her night-shirt, and dropped onto the wonderfully soft and clean bed.

"Yeay! We get to share a bed, Sacchan!" Potamos rejoiced, bouncing on the mattress.

"That's only because I ought not to share a bed with either of you," Minoru said from the other bed. 'Each for different reasons,' he mentally added. "And if you try anything... funny on her, devil-child, I will kill you."

"I'm not lesbian," Potamos said, "I just love Sacchan!"

"I love you too, Potamos," Sakura said with a yawn, and curled up under the covers next to the water-demon.

Minoru's brow creased at the pink-haired girl — not at what she said, but what she was holding. "Do you always sleep with your katana, Sakura-san?" he asked.

"You never know," Sakura mumbled, holding the sheathed Tennyo protectively in her hands.

"I am glad you at least have sense to keep the scabbard on," Minoru sighed. "Not like others who slumber with an open knife under their pillows. They often end up with considera—"

The elf halted mid-sentence, as he noticed that the kunoichi and water-demon had already fallen asleep. He gave a wry smile, and tucked the covers in around the two. Minoru blew out the candles, and stepped to the mirror on the wall.

'I haven't done this for a while,' he thought, rolling up his sleeves. Minoru leaned towards the glass surface, and whispered an incantation to it. The reflection in the pane swirled, until all that was left was a white, faintly-glowing picture — smooth and fresh like the canvas of an artist.

He opened his cerulean eyes, and threw his fist at the mirror.

The mirror did not break upon contact. Instead, Minoru's hand, bracelet and all, passed and disappeared through the white surface, making ripples.

"It's been too long," he whispered.


Sasuke jerked out of bed. He had a nightmare about Sakura. It started innocently enough: they were standing at the edge of a cliff, viewing the trees below and a breath-taking sunset. Only this time, Sakura was pushed off — by Sasuke himself. Just like when he shoved Naruto off the edge of a waterfall when the blond boy came to 'rescue' him from Orochimaru.

The raven-haired young man clutched his heart. It was a long time since he saw Sakura in his dreams, and he sent the letter out only yesterday. Why did his peace of mind have to deteriorate again so soon?

'No, not now,' he though. 'I carried out her wish. I was just starting to get back full concentration on training; damn it!'

(( Itachi calmly looked into the face of a tear-streaked Sasuke. "You have the same potential as I to obtain the Mangekyou Sharingan. There is one requirement for getting it. And that is: to kill your best friend." ))

Sasuke pushed Naruto off the waterfall alright — intending to aggravate him, or perhaps kill him by the impact of the river below. He had to convince Naruto that he was not joking around. The dual to the death afterward: Sasuke did it to get the legendary Mangekyou Sharingan, which appeared in the Uchiha clan only once every couple of centuries.

(( "So... you're serious about killing me," Naruto said, using chakra in his feet to stand on the surface of the water. His face was finally grim — not screwed up in rage and annoyance.

"Yes, I am," Sasuke stated, his face totally blank.

Naruto gritted his teeth. "All those times together... didn't they mean anything to you?!" he yelled up to his ex-teammate. "Anything at ALL?!?"

"No... they did mean something," Sasuke answered. "You have become... my closest friend." ))

Yet Sasuke had failed to kill Naruto. He couldn't do it. He NEVER failed ANYTHING; he could not AFFORD to fail anything.

He had tried, and failed, to cut out his heart, to clean his mind completely of any sentimental capability. To be totally devoid of feeling in all his actions, and have the mental strength to push even a brother into the grips of torture and death. Itachi passed, and Sasuke failed. It was the same story, over and over.

Sasuke could not recall details of the dual between him and Naruto at the waterfall. Maybe it was just the intensity of the encounter.

When he thought about it longer, Sasuke realized that it was more difficult to remember exact details of events when his curse was on. It was as if Orochimaru's seal sedated him into a dream-high of power. Sasuke's concentration wavered from its influence; he did not learn any new skills afterwards, because he could not remember enough.

This was why the young Uchiha avoided using it. He admitted that during the few times he used the curse, he enjoyed sensing the extra chakra pulsing through his body. But what was the point of it if he lost control, and did not improve after the fact? He would never match up to Itachi with the seal alone — Itachi would be the strong, logical, and perfectly-calm fighter, and Sasuke would be just... strong.

'I am here with Orochimaru for his training — not for his curse,' he told himself.

Unless it was the seal that pushed him to go to Orochimaru in the first place.

But Sasuke had no time to debate on that matter. He had promised to himself after the Uchiha massacre, that he would do anything, be consumed in any darkness, to defeat Itachi.

Maybe there was another way. But he could not find it. Even if he tried, he could not find it. He was caged.

'I'm fucking trapped,' Sasuke thought as he hugged his pillow. 'I don't know when I stopped being human... And a damn part of me is still trying to resist. I don't even know what the hell I'm supposed to be resisting anymore!!'


"Do elves eat nothing but wafers?" Potamos whispered in a complaining tone to Sakura and Minoru, as the three were shopping for traveling supplies in the elfin village. "I can't stand it! Health food makes me sick!"

Sakura giggled. "I agree: what we call health food at home isn't even this strict."

"For your information, only the elves which do not engage in warfare are vegetarian," Minoru explained. "Our physical make-up requires less and less variety and quantity as we become older and wiser."

"And considering that you eat anything with four legs except tables and chairs... how old are you, Mino-chan?" Potamos asked.

"One-hundred-twenty," he answered. A disgusted look passed Potamos' face. "I'll last maybe two-hundred more years if I don't get killed from unnatural causes. ...And don't even entertain the possibility in your sick mind, devil-child: I will strike you before you even complete the first move."

"Who said I was thinking about killing you?" the purple-haired girl asked sourly.

The blond elf responded by looking directly in her yellow eyes in an accusing manner, then turning away.

The water-demon's face seemed paralyzed. 'I'd better not cross his path,' she noted to herself.

"That is so freaky... Even humans don't live that long," Sakura said, massaging her temples. 'And in my world, even people in the ANBU or Jounin-ranks usually don't last past twenty-five,' she added to herself.

"Still, don't think that having long life with youth means happiness," Minoru pointed out. "The longer you live, the more chances you have to witness and feel suffering. And if one is totally alone, without any dreams or people to look up to: every day is like an eternity of hell."

Sakura grinned up at Minoru.

"What?" he asked, looking embarrassed.

Sakura laughed. "Nothing," she replied, meaning everything.

Minoru stopped in his tracks. He looked around. "Sakura-san, have you seen Potamos?" he asked. The water-demon was nowhere to be seen in the market-place.

Sakura bit her lip. "Crap, I think we lost her."

Minoru touched his forehead. "Damnation — we have to find her, as soon as possible." Sakura prepared to jump on the roof-tops, but Minoru held her down. "No, Sakura-san, you may be shot down by the elfin guards who do not know any better."

"Oh, yeah..." Sakura mumbled nervously. "But how else are we going to find her quickly before she gets herself in a fix?"

Minoru gave a frustrated sigh. "Sakura-san, I'll look in the eastern part of the market-place, you the west. After an hour, we'll meet at the fish-vendor over there."


"What the hell — Godaime-sama!!"

A woman wearing fishnet shirt and pants, with only a trench-coat and mini-skirt to cover her intimate areas ran through Konohagakure Village like a madwoman.

"Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go right now!" Anko yelled through the streets. She grinned at the appalled looks on the faces of the normal residents. Her voice echoed between the buildings, adding: "And this ISN'T for the bathroom!!"

She entered a building and went to the room where the Hokage and her assistants organized and handed out missions to teams.

Iruka cringed at Anko's dramatic and grand entrance: she kicked in the door, making it bang out of its regular place and original shape. 'Then again,' the chuunin thought to himself, 'someone has to break up the monotony of this place — Naruto is off traveling with Jiraiya.'

Tsunade raised an eyebrow at the panting woman. "Already tired from your break, Anko? You still have one day of vacation."

"No, Godaime-sama, look!" The special jounin thrust a long, unrolled piece of paper in Tsunade's face. "I already read it, by the way, so it's safe."

Tsunade took it, and her mouth slightly opened at its contents. "What in the world..."

"I got it from one of my snakes," Anko explained. "I think there is a new caller for their species — I can guess well who that may be."

Tsunade pursed her lips as she read and re-read the paper. Ninja-animals never carried scrolls or letters unless they were written from the callers themselves. And this was definitely not Orochimaru's handwriting on the parchment. The Hokage got up from her seat. "Iruka, please take over from here. Anko, call Kakashi to my office immediately. I will be waiting there for him. Say that it's about THAT BOY — it might make him arrive a little earlier than he usually does."


A purple-haired girl walked through a poor-looking district in the village. "I get separated from Sacchan and Mino-chan... I don't know where I exactly am in this village, even though it looked so SMALL when we came down from the mountain... Could there be the slight possibly that I'm lost?" she asked herself.

Potamos kicked some dust as she walked through the streets. She had a little money with her, and some beads and trinkets caught her eye. 'Well, I oughtta enjoy myself while looking for Sacchan and Mino-chan,' she thought to herself. 'Besides, jewelry isn't this cheap back in Minerva...'

A gruff voice interrupted her thoughts. "Hey."

Potamos turned around. Behind her stood a group of burly-looking teenagers. Their choice of clothing was rather frumpy — they were human peasants or servants, by the looks of them. Some of them were smirking at the girl, others had scowls on their faces.

The center guy, who had black hair with white highlights, addressed the water-demon. "Did you just say that you were from the mountain?" he asked.

Potamos blinked. She wanted to stick her tongue out in disgust — he was absolutely dirty — but she had agreed with Minoru and Sakura not to tick anyone off and start a fight in a village.

The gang-leader crossed his arms. Any normal girl would cower at his weekend appearance. (In other words: he worked weekdays, and was a hooligan on weekends.) But why did this purple-haired girl simply give him a weird look?

She could have answered him, or at least acted like she were deaf. Instead, this purple-haired freak stared as if she did not understand the question.

"Are you autistic or something?" he asked.

"Huh?" Potamos asked. "What's that?"

"Okay, that was something of a reaction. But you didn't answer my question." The leader breathed, and repeated slowly. "Did you just say, that you were from the mountain?"

Potamos smiled. "Of course, silly! We traveled through it!"

"We're supposed to believe that? We're not that stupid!"

Another man's face screwed in anger. "Spy for the Mountain Riders? Those cut-throats?!"

"They're called the Mountain Riders?" Potamos asked, cocking her head to the side with a finger to her chin. "Makes kinda sense... Mountain Riders; as in, they ride the mountain..." The water-demon giggled.

"She's cute," one person in the back whispered, and was promptly hit in the face by another.

The black-and-white-haired man growled. "What do you want with our village? Are you asking for a fight?"

Potamos snorted. "You're the ones asking for a fight, human."

This comment brought many mumbles and whispers among the street-gang. "She must be a robber..." - "Now, she's a vampire, look at her eyes..." - "Vampires don't have cat-eyes, it's the fangs you have to look for..." - "But look at her black mantle!"

Potamos did not take this gang seriously; after all, they were only human peasants. "Who cares how many small fry there are!" she laughed in triumph, mentally indulging in the possibility of wiping a mass of idiots out, the ground soaking up their blood like a sponge.

"Why you little—"

The water-demon then finally caught onto the change of atmosphere: the men had formed a circle around her. Potamos flicked out a kunai and stopped a switch-blade. Her mind was trapped in a difficult predicament: she could either choose to follow her instincts as a demon, or the orders Sakura and Minoru gave her. " I think I'm in a pinch," she moaned.

"You definitely are, you little brat!!" another yelled as he attacked her, and she evaded him.

"That's not what I meant!" she shrieked. Potamos was in a fix; ten humans against her was not good when the fight took place in an elfin village. Maybe outside, she'd be okay; but these guys had CONNECTIONS with elves. If the elves found out that even one of their servants were killed by any foreign magical being in their own territory, they would stalk and shoot an arrow into the murderer — at the very least, kick them out of the village.

Potamos was using all her will-power not to actually stab or attack the men. "Oh, this is why I sometimes hate being around civilization!" she whined. "There are so many RULES!"

The girl in the red fairy-dress then reasoned to herself that if she could not break rules, then she would just have to bend them a bit. With a smirk, Potamos grabbed the wrist of one man, and pinned it to a stone wall.

The man yelled in pain: her gloved hand was freezing-cold. He then realized that he could not move his arm.

Potamos pulled away. The human looked at his wrist: it was locked onto the stone wall in a ring of ice. Neither could he break it with the knife in his other hand. The ice was incredibly dense.

"She's an ice-monster!" one yelled. "Get her, even if it kills you!!"

Potamos shrieked.

A new voice interrupted. "WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR PROBLEM!!!"

The gang turned to see who made the loud exclamation. A fair young lady with pink hair and a green traveler's cloak stood at the mouth of the ally. Her green eyes flashed angrily.

Potamos took this opportunity to run past the men and go next to Sakura. "HEY!!" the gang leader yelled.

"Come on, Potamos, let's go," Sakura said quietly as she took Potamos' hand.

"Are you a demon, too, or are you just a witch?" the black-and-white-haired man asked angrily.

Sakura glared at him. "For your information: I am human, and this girl and I traveled together over the mountain."

'Oh, no...' Potamos cringed.

Sakura rolled her eyes as one brave soul ran towards her with a knife. Before he even swung, she kicked him directly in the stomach, making him fly off and sprawl across a number of trash-cans.

The other gangsters went after Sakura; no demon-woman or witch was going to hurt their comrade so easily if they could help it.

'Damn, I angered them rather than scared them,' Sakura thought. There was no other way: her hands quickly performed the sequence.

"I'm terribly sorry about this!" she apologized in advance.

Ten seconds later, the men found themselves screaming their heads off, while the two girls were mysteriously disappeared. The gang leader almost hyperventilated; he had never been so scared in his life. "Sorcery," he breathed.

"What is the meaning of this?" someone asked from above. The group of humans looked to the roof-top.

"Master," the gang-leader sighed. He saluted the dark-haired elf, who was accompanied by his colleagues in the Village Guard. "It's good to see you. We have a problem."


Sakura pulled Potamos through the crowd, striding quickly to get away from the servant-quarters.

"Sacchan, I'm sorry!" the water-demon squeaked.

"Not now, Potamos, let's just get away from that place." After speed-walking for a few more minutes, they turned a corner, which led them to the vendor where Sakura and Minoru agreed to meet. The kunoichi ordered two sticks of grilled fish, and walked over to the bench where Potamos sat. Sakura handed one stick to the water-demon. "Here, I know you like sea-food. Eat up." The pink-haired girl sat down on the bench next to her friend. "Now tell me what happened."

Potamos nipped at the burnt tail, enjoying its salty and charcoal taste. "I... guess that this lot of bums first thought I was part of the Mountain Riders, and they attacked me," she said.

Sakura carefully chewed a piece in her mouth, and swallowed. "The Mountain Riders?" she asked.

"I think they were talking about the gang of bandits we escaped," the purple-haired demon explained sheepishly.

"Mountain Riders, as in, to ride the mountain," Sakura snorted. "Not very original, those bandits, are they?" Potamos smiled weakly in return.

Sakura paused in thought. "But why would they think you're a member of a mountain gang, when you're a girl?" she pointed out. "There aren't many female bandits around; they're almost unheard of."

Potamos blinked. She had not thought of that. "You're right... I don't know. Anyway, they started attacking me with knives. I pushed off the blades with my kunai. I used a TEENSY bit of magic to freeze one guy's wrist to the wall. Then the leader with the weird hair ordered the others to do a suicide attack. That's when you came in, and used... that technique, right?"

"Kanashibari no Jutsu," Sakura mused. "I think I should tell you this now: that illusionary skill borders on forbidden, so never use it lightly if you ever learn it, or something like it."

Potamos grinned with a mouthful of fish. "You know, I'm still flattered that you actually used it on me during the tournament."

"Well, you were really tough!" Sakura giggled.

"Sakura-san!!" someone yelled. The human and demon turned their heads to see Minoru run towards them. He then walked clean past Sakura, and grabbed Potamos by the shoulders. "Devil-child — by any chance, did you pick a fight with a group of human slaves?" he asked.

Sakura sighed, and walked to the nearest trash-bin to throw away her stick.

"They attacked ME!!" Potamos huffed.

"Oh, bother..." Minoru let go, and cupped his face in his hands. "Do you know that at present, the Village Guard is after what they call 'an ice-monster' along with a witch?"

Sakura winced. 'I should tell him later that it was my fault, too...'

Something then caught her eye in the crowd.

In the market-place, a dark-haired elf with cold eyes drew his bow across his shaft. The people around him recoiled: was there such a threat in the village at this time for an elfin guard to attack someone?

Sakura's breath stopped. According to the angle of the elf's direction, he was not aiming at her — he was aiming at Minoru and Potamos.

The blond elf and the water-demon were arguing about ten meters away from Sakura, and the raven-haired elf was at least forty meters away from either of them. She would never be able to stop him with that distance.

Before giving another thought, the kunoichi put chakra in her feet in the direction towards her friends.

A slight air-whip sounded out.

Potamos felt a strong push — then she heard a scream.

The eyes of the raven-haired elf widened.

"Sacchan!!!" - "Sakura-san!"

Sakura's thoughts wavered as she fell to the ground. Gasping in pain, she forced her head to turn around.

An arrow had been shot on the left side of her back.

Potamos and Minoru dropped to their knees in front of Sakura's struggling form. "Sakura-san, you shouldn't have done something so reckless!!" Minoru yelled at her. That was an arrow shot by an ELF.

"Sacchan, no!!!" Potamos cried out in worry and agony. "Don't die!!"

Sakura shivered. She opened her mouth to say something.

"Sakura-san?!?" Minoru was now absolutely frantic. Sakura could not die here. Not now. "No, please, don't—"

"I... I think it's not that deep," Sakura croaked out.

Three awkward seconds passed.

"W- What?" Minoru sputtered finally. "Sakura-san, your left lung could be punctured, maybe even your heart—"

"No, I'm serious..." Sakura studied the angle of the arrow in the corner of her eye. She then grabbed it with her left hand, and pulled it out in one, clean yank.

Everyone watching the self-operation flinched.

"Fuck, that REALLY hurt..." the kunoichi groaned. Yet as she examined how much blood covered the arrow, it was certain to her that only about a centimeter penetrated her flesh. 'The guy's bow must have been dysfunctional,' she guessed.

The kunoichi stood up. "Minoru-san, guard Potamos."

She stomped angrily to the guard, despite the fact that her wound was still fresh. Minoru was so shocked that he did not even bother to stop her.

"Why the HELL did you do that?!" she finally demanded, glaring in the guard's face.

The raven-haired elf stood quiet, studying her intently.

Sakura continued to rant: "Being part of the Village Guard gives you no right to just shoot people in the market-place! For your information, Potamos did nothing, and it was the other guys who—"

The tall, dark-haired elf bowed to her.

This silenced Sakura immediately. An elf performing such a gesture to a human was definitely not something that happened on a regular basis. She had no idea what to say.

Sakura felt extremely strange. And she realized that it was not only because of embarrassment: she looked at her hands, which were glowing with a rosy-colored chakra. As her eyes trailed down, she realized that her enter body was emitting a slight, pink glow.

The kunoichi nervously bit her lip. So this was what made the people stare. The rosy chakra faded away.

Minoru cleared his throat. "Um... yes... let's go, Sakura-san. We need to get that wound examined and healed."


Notes:

"Godaime" - Fifth. (Only for a person of a high and important position.)

"...you eat anything with four legs except tables and chairs" - this comment basically means that Minoru has no religious or moral restrictions with any kind of food. This is an ancient joke and prejudice that the Japanese have for the Chinese: 'The Chinese eat anything with four legs — except tables and chairs.' Before the Meiji Restoration, animals with four legs were not kosher to eat according to Buddhist beliefs. Anybody who did eat such things was considered unclean, savage, low, or foreign. This pun can be translated into English easily, as the word 'leg' also refers to both bodies and furniture.

If you have questions, comments, or suggestions, please tell me! If I suck, by all means tell me. In an intelligent manner.


Dimensional Exchanges By XyoushaX This fanfic is complete.
 
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim.html


Discuss books at  Blogging about Books http://www.seltzerbooks.com/blog/
Other book reviews by Richard Seltzer
Opus authors -- contemporary writers whose entire work is great
The Readers' Corner and Writers Showcase


This site is published by Samizdat Express, 213 Deerfield Lane, West Roxbury, MA 02132-002. (203) 553-9925 seltzer@seltzerbooks.com

Book collections on CD and DVD. A library for the price of a book.
Limited time offer: 2 for the price of 1
 

Return to Samizdat Express

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.com