Dimensional Exchanges

By XyoushaX
 

Chapter 13: To Admit



 (Tim Seltzer, seltzer@seltzerbooks.com)


Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto. I do not own Wedding Peach. I do not own any great quantity of money or property. I'm a STUDENT; that's why I'm poor, okay? 

The pink-haired kunoichi pulled away from the god's arms.

"No, thank you," Sakura said.

"I beg your pardon?" the god of memory asked. It was so bizarre that there was a look of hurt on the face of Sasuke — further proving that he wasn't Sasuke.

"I said, no, thank you." Sakura backed away. "As the god of memory, you should know that life always brings suffering. If you erased my memories of the Shinobi World... it's not a guarantee that I'd be any happier. I would live in this dimension, which — you are right — is more peaceful. But I would eventually fall in the depths of sorrow again. Just like what I'm doing right now." She heaved a sigh. "...But I guess that's what life is about."

"About being sad?" he scoffed. "Sounds damn depressing."

"That's not what I meant!" she yelled. "What I'm saying is, expect it to happen SOMETIME in your life. You experience both suffering and happiness when you truly live."

She glared at him. "Thanks for your offer. It sound great, really. But in the end, it probably won't make any difference. Nobody can create a life that is pure pain, or pure happiness. Nobody."

The girl breathed, and looked straight into his eyes. "Not even YOU."

Sakura was glowing a faint blue during the entire conversation. But as she firmly gave her resolution to the god's offer, she felt two new wisps of energy touch her. They were very weak, but new nonetheless. The kunoichi looked down at her body. The sky-blue aura was still there. But waving in the blue sea of energy were two thin and fragile-looking strands: a pink one, and a green one.

The god slowly faded away. Brightness overcame Sakura's eyes.


Sakura blinked. She was back in the dojo hall. Scarlett smiled.

"Wonderful," the angel murmured. "You are truly wise for a girl your age."

"That... that..." the kunoichi stuttered. "Was that a genjutsu... an illusion? Because that was DAMN good!"

"It was no illusion," Scarlett said. "The person you met was indeed was the god of memory. When it comes to students, he is always happy to help me."

Sakura did not know what to say. She trembled with horror, digesting what kind of power she had for just a minute or so. "What would have happened if I had said 'yes'? I really could have... changed my destiny?"

"Yes. I knew perfectly well what you were getting into. If you had complied, you indeed would have lost your memory of the Ninja world. And any record of you there — whether it be papers, pictures, or people's memories — would cease to exist. Like he said, start over."

Sakura was too shaken to be mad at Angel Salvia. Instead, she asked: "Why did you allow me to... What was that FOR?"

"It made you admit that you experience pain, as well as joy. What was important is that you admit to yourself that you experience them. Emotions can make you powerful. Very powerful."

The red-haired beauty sighed.

"...I myself drowned in hate and vengeance once," she continued. "I became a strong and ruthless warrior because of that."

'She was... just like Sasuke?' Sakura thought.

"My best friends died right in front of my eyes in the first part of the Great War... and I swore to kill all demons. Even Viento. I almost did it — fully aware that he was the lover and a close friend of my leader."

Sakura trembled. 'I can't take much more of this... Yousuke could have died... and I wouldn't have been born...'

Scarlett continued. "I'm glad now that I didn't succeed. I could have lost everything — the few friends that I had, and my essence. Compassion, anger, depression, confidence, hate, love — feel whatever you want to feel, and use it to your own advantage. As long as it's a specific emotion, and accept that it exists. But know what it could do to your own soul."

(( Sasuke stood up, the curse slowly covering his body.

"Sasuke-kun... That body...!?" Sakura's eyes widened in shock.

The raven-haired shinobi looked at black pattern on his skin. The power he felt was amazing. "No need to worry..." he said. "Because of it... more and more strength is flowing through me. Right now... I feel good. He gave it to me."

"What?" Sakura was confused and frightened.

"...I have finally understood. I am an avenger... Even if I let myself be possessed by the devil, the strength I need lies in this path..." ))

'Sasuke knew... he knew...' She fought hard to keep back the tears.

"Maybe I should have taken up the god's offer..." the kunoichi mumbled quietly. She desperately wanted to forget Sasuke. "Maybe... maybe..."

The love-angel's face turned sympathetic. "Maybe, yes," Scarlett said as she embraced the pink-haired girl. "Maybe not. I wouldn't know. But either way, you can now use those feelings for battle."

Scarlett got up, and walked over to a nearby closet. She took out a long, wooden box. She carried it over to Sakura, who sniffed quietly.

"I have a present for you. Open it."

Sakura took the heavy container and lifted its cover. Resting inside was a beautiful katana. Its blade was perfectly folded, with a graceful and deadly edge that any samurai would admire.

"This...for me?!" The waver in the kunoichi's voice was evident. 'HOLY CRAP THIS IS AWESOME!' "I...I can't accept such a valuable gift!"

The redhead angel smiled. "This will make up for all the birthdays we missed. Besides, you'll need it for bringing out your ki."

"...Um, Scarlett-sensei?" Sakura said hesitantly. "I'm not supposed to kill anyone in the junior tournament... and this is too sharp."

"Didn't I just tell you?" Scarlett huffed with irritation. "It's for bringing out your ki. Take the blade out and hold it."

"Like this?" Sakura asked. She had learned a few things about kendo in Ninja Academy. Any shinobi was required to be knowledgeable in a wide variety of weapons. But this was Sakura's first practical lesson. In Konoha, only those preparing to be part of the ANBU learned how to use a katana.

Scarlett came over to shift Sakura's hold a bit, as well as her stance. "Alright. Now close your eyes, and choose an emotion. It can be anything, as long as it is something strong."

Sakura decided to choose her sisterly love for Umi. With that, she closed her green eyes. The blue-haired sprite filled Sakura's thoughts: her cute smile, klutziness, and sweet innocence.

"Now hold that consciousness in you as you build up your ki," Scarlett instructed, "and let that energy travel through your hands, and into the hilt of the katana."

Sakura did exactly as she was told. A familiar, yet slightly modified, sensation flowed through her arms. The handle began to feel warm.

The kunoichi opened her eyes. The katana was giving off a light, blue aura. And were she not mistaken, within the blue fluttered a line of pink — thin and tiny, like silk fresh from the cocoon.

Sakura gasped. "Oh, gods!" The katana stopped glowing, returning to its original yet still magnificent appearance.

"That was an wonderful start!" Scarlett clapped her hands together, full of pride with her student. "Although you cannot make weaponry out of pure ki, you do have the ability to put your ki into an already-forged weapon. When you're practicing alone, I want you to use that katana, using both ki and technical skill. You probably won't be able to use your kendo in the tournament. Your next match is in two days, anyway. But practicing kendo with your aura will unlock those closed-up doors in your mind."

The angel pulled off two bokken from a nearby rack. "Now I'll teach you actual kendo techniques. We'll work with these while I'm instructing you. Ready, Sakura?"

Sakura nodded. She was excited, to say the least.


"Hokage-sama," a chuunin said as he knocked at her door. "You have a guest."

Tsunade looked up groggily. She had fallen asleep at her desk. A little drool stained a few documents. She also woke up with an enormous headache. An empty sake bottle rolled at her feet. 'Did Jiraiya give me sake again? I've gotta watch my back when that pervert's around...'

She yawned. "Who is it?"

The chuunin called through the door: "The priest of the Shinto shrine has come to give you a message."

"What kind of message?" the Hokage moaned. "There's not enough in the budget to help them with the shrine. It's their fault for taking it apart and rebuilding it every ten years, anyway."

She dropped her head back down on the hard wood. The headache was killing her, and she was in desperate need of sleep.

"Um, Hokage-sama, he has says that it relates to Haruno Sakura..."

Her head shot up instantly. "Bring him in!"

The chuunin, two members of the ANBU, and the priest walked through the door. The Hokage straightened her posture and cleaned her face with her sleeve.

The priest sat himself uncomfortably in a chair in front of her desk.

Tsunade nodded to the chuunin. "Thank you. You are dismissed." He walked out of the office and closed the door.

The ANBU stayed to guard Tsunade, simply because the situation was peculiar. The priest had not arranged an appointment beforehand. Neither was it normal for him to talk with the Hokage except for planning religious ceremonies.

"Hokage-sama, I was looking through the fires these past months, and I think I know what may have happened to Haruno Sakura."

Tsunade was prepared to do almost anything. Any piece of knowledge would help in the current situation. She sighed. "How much money do you want?"

"Hokage-sama... I have enough in taking care of the shrine." Rolling his eyes was out of the question; he was a Shinto priest, and he was addressing the Hokage herself. He hacked a little to clear his throat, and proceeded. "I investigated for myself what that meteor incident was, through my fire-reading. The chakra of that so-called meteor was abnormal, and nothing like I've felt before, except maybe the Kyuubi."

"I heard a description similar to that," Tsunade said. Naruto had already told her in private about what Kyuubi thought of that chakra wave: the fox-demon did not like it, and that was already something to be reckoned with.

Naruto, Lee and Ino continuously asked Tsunade to let them search for Sakura, which she bluntly refused. The Harunos were equally persistent in the first week of Sakura's absence. But the couple started to understand (earlier than the teenagers, at least) that they had no choice, except to trust the hunter-nin.

"Hokage-sama…" the priest fidgeted, "through my readings, I believe Sakura is in another world."

A long pause ensued.

"Explain," she ordered.

"My interpretation skills are far from perfect... But the gods must have taken her. She may come back, but there's a large chance that she may not."

"Do you know how ridiculous this sounds?" Tsunade asked.

"I understand, Hokage-sama, but it makes sense to me. I have observed every child of this village since the Fourth Hokage died. It was obvious from the beginning of what Uzumak— well, you know about that. But I had sensed a long time ago that there was something a little strange with Haruno Sakura. I could tell immediately that she was adopted, but—"

"Adopted?!" Tsunade had not known this. "Ryuu!" she screamed at the right wall. "Get me Haruno Sakura's birth certificate!"

A loud thud answered from the next room, followed by an alarmed "Yes, ma'am!"


Notes:

"Bokken" - means 'wooden sword'. (A more archaic word for it is "bokutou".) These are used for practice in kendo. If you've seen the wondrously-funny Kuno Tatewaki in the "Ranma 1/2" series, that's what he uses all the time... even whilst threatening others with death.

"Ryuu" - means 'dragon'. Awesome name, huh?

In Shinto, the rebuilding ceremony symbolizes death and rebirth. Did I show Tsunade as too sacrilege? Don't worry, that was just a moment of comic relief. Plus, she was a little hung over.

I'm sorry for those people who wanted Sakura's memory to be erased. But I decided that it would have made things too easy for her. Sakura has to suffer, for she is the heroine of this story! (And besides, the plot-twister of amnesia has been a tad over-used in fanfiction anyway.)

If you have questions, comments, or suggestions, please tell me! If I suck, by all means tell me. In an intelligent manner.


Dimensional Exchanges By XyoushaX This fanfic is complete.
 
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim.html


Discuss books at  Blogging about Books http://www.seltzerbooks.com/blog/
Other book reviews by Richard Seltzer
Opus authors -- contemporary writers whose entire work is great
The Readers' Corner and Writers Showcase


This site is published by Samizdat Express, 213 Deerfield Lane, West Roxbury, MA 02132-002. (203) 553-9925 seltzer@seltzerbooks.com

Book collections on CD and DVD. A library for the price of a book.
Limited time offer: 2 for the price of 1
 

Return to Samizdat Express

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.com