Dimensional Exchanges

By XyoushaX
 

Chapter 19: Solutions



 (Tim Seltzer, seltzer@seltzerbooks.com)


Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto. I do not own Wedding Peach. I do not own any great quantity of money or property. I'm a STUDENT; that's why I'm poor, okay? 

Author's Notes: Very well, I shall answer some questions that people have been bugging me about. But I'll give the indifferent readers some slack and put the answers in the footnotes.


"Now let me get this straight," Sakura said. She and Potamos were seated in the cafeteria of the stadium. "You want ME to tutor you in the Shinobi Arts?"

"Well, yeah." Potamos bounced her two index fingers against each other. "I'm trying to become a ninja. I was told that getting the training for it was my best chance at controlling my aura — for me, anyway. I tried the martial arts school, but I hated it there..."

"WHY do you need to control your aura, though?" Sakura asked. "I mean: I'm a human girl, so I need lots of control to use my small supply. But you have more than you need."

"I have a lot, but that's my problem..." Potamos softly whined. "I can handle it enough to make spells, but they don't... always work. Until I get better in control, I can't go to the human realm and visit my uncle who lives there. He raised me in the demon world, but then he had to go to the human realm. So I ended up in Minerva, and he's stuck there until he's done with whatever he's doing."

Sakura understood immediately. The human realm was off-limits to beings who had too much ki radiating from them. If an excessive amount of aura went off in the human world, Armageddon could erupt. Power-lines would break; natural disasters could go off by accident; all sorts of chaos would happen. Only those who could handle their spiritual energy were allowed in. Any unqualified celestial who wandered into Earth would immediately be caught by authorities, and sent back.

"So you train as a ninja, in order to get the skills to conceal your spiritual energy," Sakura followed.

"Mmm hmm!" Potamos cheerfully replied. "I can throw weapons and all that, but I fail in things like... hiding."

'Well, she's like Naruto to a certain extent,' Sakura thought to herself. 'Considering how badly I treated him at times, I really shouldn't turn down this request...'

"But... I have to train, too, you know," the kunoichi said, a little hesitant. "And our strengths are so different. You're trying to control your extra chakra, yet I'm trying to gain mine."

The water-demon lowered her voice. "Wanna have some ancient scrolls on those hand-seals you use? There are a few in the Ninja Mansion's library."

The kunoichi suddenly became very interested. 'Ancient scrolls?'

"As a guest, you can't go into the library — but I can borrow the scrolls as a student, and then hand them to you. Of course, if that's not good enough--"

"I'll do it," Sakura resolved. 'SHAAAANNAROOOO!!'

Potamos squealed with delight. Just at that moment, a shadow fell over Sakura.

"Sakura-san, where were you?" Minoru asked. His eyes fell on the person sitting across the table, and his mouth opened in shock. "Oh, my, goodness..."

"Potamos and I are going to start training together," Sakura said with a grin. "We can help each other in ninja stuff."

Minoru's tone was that of annoyance. "Sakura-san... The girl has no blood-lust left, but —"

"Hey!" Potamos complained. "Stop talking as if I wasn't here!"

"Why not?" Minoru coldly replied. "Up until now, you have held nothing for Sakura-san except a thirst to eliminate her."

"I wasn't trying to eliminate her!" Potamos whined. "That was just battle-lust!"

"Blood-lust," Minoru corrected.

"Battle-lust!"

"Be quiet, both of you!" Sakura exclaimed. "Minoru-san, she has something in the Ninja Mansion that I might find useful."

"90 percent of the people come out with injuries, on the FIRST DAY they enter it," Minoru intoned.

"Duh!" Sakura and Potamos said in unison.

Minoru stared at the two girls. He then closed his eyes in frustration. "I give up," the elf sighed. 'There's no arguing with two girls of the same opinion,' he thought to himself, 'and I'm too old to even attempt it.'

He had a feeling that this would end up in disaster. Sakura probably wouldn't die — but a disaster, nonetheless.


"Takurou-kun, when do you predict the next wormhole will appear?" Momoko asked. "It's already been a while, and we have to see the state of the Shinobi World..."

"If we let space-time take its natural course... It may not be for another... four years or so," Takurou replied.

"FOUR YEARS?!" Yousuke mouthed out. What would he and Momoko say to Sakura?

Takurou adjusted his glasses. "Don't get so nervous. There's something we can do to speed up the entire process. If we can get enough energy to force the right type of wormhole to open..."

"How much energy?" Momoko interrupted.

"Well... this much, to be exact," Takurou answered, as he clicked and opened a file in his computer. He scrolled down to the bottom of the page: Momoko clapped her hand over her mouth, and Yousuke simply let his hang wide open.

"That would cost us a fortune!" Yousuke exclaimed. "Are you sure that this much is needed?"

"Because I saved the data from the last dimensional exchange, I know what kind of wormhole is needed for getting Sakura back to her world. Just like a fingerprint, the exact wormhole to get to the exact dimension is one identification marker."

"We just need a SOURCE for that amount of energy," Yousuke breathed. "And we can't buy it."

"And it can't be from living people," Takurou warned. "This is different from the individual energies that all beings have. What we need has to be pure and raw."

"I know of such a source," Scarlett said. "The springs in the Rifts."

"Rifts — you mean those places that are the borders of the realms?" Momoko bit her lip. "Those areas are uncharted, Scarlett! Except for the elvin villages, most of it is in martial law. Even a few countries of the demon realm have more stability than those places."

"And it's impossible to map those areas, because they constantly change," Yousuke pointed out. "Such a mission for the sake of just one human girl..."

"No government in their right minds would sponsor it," Hinagiku scoffed. "It would have to be done on a volunteer basis. And who would do such a crazy trip?"

"Sakura would do it," Scarlett coolly answered.

Momoko was now very worried: what limits did Scarlett put on her daughter? "Sakura is a good fighter, true, but I don't think she could handle something like—"

"Not in her present state," Yuri commented. She looked thoughtful. "But... if Sakura undergoes six months of intensive training, she can visit those energy-springs."

"But Sakura can't go alone!" Momoko exclaimed.

"Of course not," Scarlett replied. "She has made friends with the Elf of the Vines, and Potamos as well. Mind you, I still have strong doubts about the water-demon. But the elf — HE is perfect for the job."

"Minoru, the elf who lives down the street?" Yousuke asked with surprise. "I had no idea Sakura was hanging out with him. But Potamos... argh! I know that she lost her memory when we resurrected her, but still..." Yousuke visibly cringed.

"I don't like the idea, either," Scarlett huffed. "But the elf and the water-demon are probably the only ones who would willingly do it. If it were not for our responsibilities, we could do it ourselves..."

Momoko rubbed her eyes. "We'll have to look further into it later. Once we have more information."


Sakura was chopping up green peppers over a cutting board. Her vision was getting blurry. She took a couple of deep breaths. Her eyesight turned clear, then fuzzy, and back again.

"Sakura, you look very pale," Mrs. Suzuki commented. "I think you're sick; you're in no condition to help me."

"No... I... I can handle it..." Sakura wobbled as if she were intoxicated. 'Damn it, damn it, damn it!!'

The cook pulled the chopping knife out of Sakura's hand, and touched her forehead. Mrs. Suzuki's eyes widened. "You're going to bed, young lady."

The older woman firmly grasped the girl's wrist. She dragged her out of the kitchen and into Sakura's room. "Now you change into your pajamas and lie in bed. Don't try to refuse, because I've already decided! You're sick!"

Sakura sighed, and did as she was told. 'Well, I guess I don't want to chop my own fingers off.' She staggered to the dresser-drawer. She pulled out a night-shirt, and plopped herself down on the bed.

'Why do I feel so strange?' She had an enormous headache. It was different from the pain when she first came into this dimension, so it probably had nothing to do with chakra.

Sakura thought back to the morning. She made a quiet gasp. That pink potion-drink that Minoru gave her. 'Did he... drug me?'

'THAT BASTARD! If he poisoned me I will haunt him as a ghost and make his life a living hell!!'

Before she could think about it any further, she lost consciousness. Half-dressed, her body fell onto the soft bedding.


Sasuke suddenly felt dizzy. Something was telling him to sleep — which was strange, because he had enough rest the night before. And the night before that... and the night before that.

"I'm going to bed," he said gruffly. He put down his chopsticks next to his half-finished meal. Orochimaru frowned, and Kabuto raised an eyebrow.

'Damn it,' he thought as he staggered through the hallway. 'This is one hell of a push. Is there something wrong with my body? Do I have the flu? No...'

He dropped onto the hard wood floor.


Notes:

Yes, I do plan to have Sakura come back home. This story will end when Sakura arrived back at Konoha, and I might later make a sequel to it. That means...

To Jade Eyes: go ahead with doing a one-shot. It might turn out to be totally AU from what I plan in the story, but that's fine with me. It's not uncommon for writers to write fanfiction on fanfiction. (Like how Guardian of Stars wrote "Mercury's Paradox", a AU-sequel to KingofMercury's "Mercury Twilight". If you're into Sailor Moon fanfiction, those two are the greatest.)

If you have questions, comments, or suggestions, please tell me! If I suck, by all means tell me. In an intelligent manner.


Dimensional Exchanges By XyoushaX This fanfic is complete.
 
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim.html


Discuss books at  Blogging about Books http://www.seltzerbooks.com/blog/
Other book reviews by Richard Seltzer
Opus authors -- contemporary writers whose entire work is great
The Readers' Corner and Writers Showcase


This site is published by Samizdat Express, 213 Deerfield Lane, West Roxbury, MA 02132-002. (203) 553-9925 seltzer@seltzerbooks.com

Book collections on CD and DVD. A library for the price of a book.
Limited time offer: 2 for the price of 1
 

Return to Samizdat Express

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.com