Dimensional Exchanges

By XyoushaX
 

Chapter 12: Memory



 (Tim Seltzer, seltzer@seltzerbooks.com)


Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto. I do not own Wedding Peach. I do not own any great quantity of money or property. I'm a STUDENT; that's why I'm poor, okay? 

Author's Note: There's been a lot of questioning about what the others in the Shinobi world have been doing in this story... especially Sasuke. Okay then! I will give a little bit of attention to him in this chapter, due to popular demand — by which I mean a very devoted reader has been pestering for him to show up, and you know who you are.

Just a simple question: are there any Sakura fans out there who CANNOT stand the sasusaku pairing? Don't get me wrong; Naruto is cool, and I love Lee's passion and personality. Either of them would treat her like a lady if she went out with them. There's just something interesting about sasusaku... Don't get excited; I'm not giving any clear-cut pairings in this fic yet. This is just an invitation to suggestions.


'That's right, Sasuke-kun. Swallow it. And get it over with. Friends come and go. The only thing you can put faith in is family... oh, right. You have no family.'

Orochimaru felt Sasuke's agitation through the walls. The boy was restless in his sleep.

'When it is over, you will become stronger, my pupil.' The snake-like man gave a hideous grin, and continued to walk down the hallway.

Sasuke tossed and turned in his bed. He wanted to forget that report. He wanted to become entirely ignorant of the fact that his former teammate was missing. He did not hate her while they were on the same team — and she was a friend of sorts. A little too persistent, maybe, but still a friend. Sasuke would never admit it, but he was truly worried about her.

There still was hope for her safety. No body, no murder, they say. The hunter-nins found nothing. There was still a good chance that she was alive — unless the largest piece of her remains could pass through a needle.

Still, being dead was better than other things, especially in this world. One could be tortured. One could be kidnapped and be sold as a slave.

'What if she were raped?' The raven-haired boy flinched at the thought. Her screams echoed in his mind.

And Sasuke wasn't able to do anything. Because he wasn't there to save her. She was always fragile, always weak. Were she alone in the wilderness, she had zero chance of surviving: rabid, hungry beasts prowled the forests, and there was always some idiotic gang who liked to pick on helpless travelers. Were she in a village or a town, the only way she could survive would be... selling her...

'NO!!!' his mind yelled. 'Stop thinking about those things!'

Sasuke always saw the pink-haired girl as an emblem of stability and happiness. Whenever they met, her reaction to him was always the same: the repetitious, annoying "Sasuke-kun!" that came after him. Whatever the situation, she always looked out for his well-being.

He didn't know what to think about her loyalty to him. Sasuke was eternally damned to vengeance; he had no time for companionship. Until he paid his brother back for what he did to his family, he would have no peace. Itachi could have finished him off along with the rest of them. Instead, he spared his little brother, to live — to live, and suffer, in the guilt of not dying with his family; with the morbid knowledge of his own helplessness.

Sakura... she had family. She didn't know what it was like to be abandoned.

'Okay, so maybe I did something about that when I left,' he thought. Yet she still had Naruto, Kakashi... and her parents.

Sakura begged him to stay. She sobbed pathetically, then yelled that she loved him. He threw biting words at her. She threatened to scream when he started to walk off. He performed a nerve-tap to knock her out.

That night was the last time he ever saw her. That damnable scene repeated in his mind as he rolled in the covers, trying to find a comfortable position on the bed.

Sakura never should have gotten attached to him in the first place. She had the logic and analytical skills, so why didn't she tie all those brains together with real life? There was nothing to be gained by giving him affection, especially when he made no effort to return it. He was too engaged with freeing his own conscience.

'Silly little girl,' Sasuke thought as he gripped the sheets. 'Annoying as hell. I want to...forget...'


A shudder traveled along Sakura's back. She sat in the middle of a large room. In five minutes, Scarlett, also known as the Super Love-Angel Salvia, was due to come into the empty dojo hall. This was like waiting for the first lesson with Tsunade.

The door slid open. Scarlett was in her civilian clothing.

"Good morning, Scarlett-sensei," Sakura said.

"Sakura, I want to congratulate you on your first win," Scarlett said as she walked into the room. "It especially surprised me that you already knew how to utilize ki. It was... different in the way you used it, but it was used well."

"Thank you."

The angel walked over to Sakura, and pulled her up from the cushion she was sitting on. "Now, Sakura, among the entire entrants of the tournament, your level of ki is the lowest — even lower than the pure-blood humans who are entered. Now let me explain ki attacks according to different races.

"We celestials have worked with spiritual energy for our entire lives. Pure-blood humans, in contrast, literally forced their own to surface and grow, if they do any martial arts at all. And the ki you are using is entirely human energy. Either way, you have less ki and less experience."

Sakura hung her head. 'Figures,' she thought.

"...However," Scarlett continued, "when you look at potential, there is a small possibility that we could tap either the angel or demonic power in your spiritual system. Therefore, I'm going to teach you kendo."

Sakura blinked. 'Kendo? How would a style of swordsmanship help develop my chakra?'

Scarlett grinned. "I know what you're thinking. But here's how it works. I can tell that you pent up your feelings, which is very good for battle. One should never let emotions interfere with a clear perspective — politicians and soldiers alike have problems with this. However, when it comes to developing ki attacks, emotions can be used as a power source."

(( "EAT SHIT!!!" Naruto screamed. He slammed a fist down the giant snake Orochimaru stood on, which was probably a thousand times his weight.

Sakura was frightened. 'Naruto... He's really out of control... But since when did he get this strong?!' ))

Sakura thought this through. "Wait a minute," she voiced. "For humans, isn't that kind of power reserved only for those who had life-time training? And my angel and demon blood is useless!"

"Celestial beings have it easier; that's true. But humans can develop it as well, and you already have some experience in using ki. If you can learn to channel a specific emotion while retaining your concentration at the same time, you will have a chance in producing ki attacks. Yes, I know it sounds contradictory: control your emotions while using them as a power source. But it works."

"So... why kendo?" Sakura asked.

"Your skills in the martial arts are good. I can tell that you've had an exceptional professor or two."

(( Gai did a thumbs up, and one of his teeth sparkled. Lee returned it with the exact same pose, with the exact same twinkle. ))

"Yes... you could say that they were... unique," Sakura admitted.

"However, I can see that you should specialize in the martial arts of weaponry. I'm not saying you should forget your empty-handed techniques — anything you've learned will prove useful later. But the kendo type I'm going to teach you will be a little different from the kendo you might know."

With a burst of feathers and light, the angel snapped into her battle uniform. Sakura jumped. When the light faded, Angel Salvia held her palms up. They started to glow with chakra. The aura from her hands molded and twisted itself into a beam of light, materializing into a beautiful sword. Sakura looked on in awe.

Angel Salvia held the sword up and gave a mild swing with it. It hummed lightly, melodious and hypnotizing.

"As you see, I can control my ki to make a weapon. These work just as well as metal weapons if you want to cut flesh. But they are very good if you want to channel ki attacks through them."

"But doesn't that take a lot of chakra?" Sakura asked.

"Yes, it does drain your 'chakra', as you call it." Scarlett pointed her sword at the kunoichi. "Listen to me, Sakura. There's only a small chance that this training for you will work. What we're about to do may end in failure. I've worked with half-demons and half-angels before, but you are different. You are the first human of our dimension to have an equal amount of both angel and demon blood. The only way to solve your problem... is to meet one of my friends."

The sword in her hand disappeared, and Angel Salvia chanted a few lines in a strange language. A door suddenly appeared in the middle of the room. Sakura stared at it.

"Open it. Look in," Scarlett egged her on.

The kunoichi did not budge. "You're not going to push me in; are you?" she asked with suspicion.

Scarlett laughed. "No. You will have to push in yourself."

Sakura twisted the knob, and peeked in the door. It was a complete black void. Where was the person that Angel Salvia was talking about? "Nobody's there," Sakura said. "I can't even feel any chakra coming out."

"You have to go in and see," Scarlett said.

Sakura walked in, taking tiny steps. She kept going, until her form disappeared completely into the abyss.

'Good luck, in whatever decision you make,' Scarlett prayed as the door closed.


It was pitch black. Sakura could only see her own body, which seemed to give off a sky-blue glow amidst the dark space.

"Hello?" she called out.

There wasn't even an echo to answer her.

"Is anybody there? Damn it, aren't I supposed to meet someone here?! HELLO!!"

"Hello, Sakura," a cool voice called from behind her. Sakura tensed. She knew that voice anywhere.

Floating there was a glowing image of Sasuke. His skin was clearer and paler than ever. A disgusting smirk was on his face.

"You know, I wish you never came onto our team," he hissed.

Sakura returned the smirk, knowing that this was just a duplicate. "You're not Sasuke," she mused.

The image continued to speak to her, using Sasuke's appearance and voice. "You were weak, and you still are. Even in this new dimension." The look-alike floated over to her.

"Don't listen to him, don't listen to him..."

"Nice try, Sakura, but all your emotions are exposed here. Stupid bitch."

"Fuck you!" Sakura replied. "Naruto was right; you are a bastard!"

"At least Naruto is stronger and has better character than you. ...You know exactly what I am, right?"

"I know, Jackass," Sakura snapped. "You're the embodiment of all my shames and fears."

"You were never good in fighting, you know that," the image pointed out. "You never were meant to be a ninja. The only reason you graduated the academy was because you were book-smart. And that was because," he snorted, "you wanted to stay with me." He laughed. "You are SUCH a moron! I bet you didn't even think that I would betray the village."

"You're right!" Sakura yelled. She knew it was stupid to argue with this duplicate as if it were Sasuke himself, but it was nice to get things off her chest. "I WAS a silly little girl. And I see that now. But that doesn't mean I can't keep on being a shinobi."

"You always wanted security, and just that," he continued. "Whoever has that want is not fit to be a ninja. You should have married yourself off to a rich, KIND man once you graduated from Ninja Academy."

"Shut up!" she snarled.

"But do you like it?" the image asked. "Do you like the idea that you have to kill people? That you have to risk not only your life, but the lives of your friends? And do missions just for money?"

Sakura was silent. "No." She sighed. "I guess I don't."

"Then why are you even trying to go back to that dimension?" He crept up from behind her, and started trailing his fingertips down her arms. She shivered.

"Okay, you're definitely not Sasuke," she said. "Although that's kinda nice... Oh, why the hell do I have to say everything out loud here?! It's really pissing me off; SHAANNAROO!"

"Oh, come on, you know you like it," the fake-Sasuke grinned. His hands encircled her waist. "But think about it. You're here in this dimension. Here, there is peace, and security, and moreover, you BELONG here. You were born here, you live here, you die here. The only reason why you were in the Shinobi world was because your angel and demon parents wanted to save you, you sweet little thing..." He then began to gently kiss her neck.

"Okay, now that's creepy as hell!!" Sakura yelled as she brushed him off. "I can't enjoy THAT when it's so damn obvious you're NOT Sasuke!"

"Sorry, sorry!" he said casually as he lifted up his hands in apology. "Anyway, I want you to consider this. The god of memory can give you something." He pointed at himself. "Actually, you're looking straight at him. I," he tossed his head, "can erase your memories of the Shinobi world."

The words took a while to sink in.

"What?" Sakura asked.

"You heard me right. The god of memory is giving you, Haruno Sakura, an offer. If you want, I can give you a clean slate. Just start over. Be happy."

"Happy?" Sakura snorted. "Your logic escapes me."

"You would have no memories of heartbreak, of loneliness, of anything from the Shinobi World."

"My friends and family over there are worried SICK!" she said. "I can't just LEAVE them there!"

"I can erase their memories as well," the god replied as he caressed her cheek. "You would start a new life here. And they will go on with their own lives."

Sakura gulped. "But... my mom and dad... I'm their only daughter."

"They would never know. They would never remember you."

Sakura's brow furrowed. "Didn't you hear me? I AM THEIR ONLY DAUGHTER! You mean that you're going to take away their experience of having a child?!"

"I can place an orphan with them, and they will have the same, wonderful — and dreadful — experience of raising a kid. Besides, you know how spoiled of a girl you were."

"I wasn't spoiled!" she screamed. She paused. "Was...I...?"

The god kissed her forehead. "Of course you had your good sides that they loved. But... in their eyes, you could have been better." Using the momentary doubt on Sakura's face, his arms comfortably slipped around her form. "Why don't you start over? In a better place, where you have the chance to become stronger, be acknowledged, and moreover, have a chance to make OTHERS proud of you and rejoice in your existence. More than you ever have in that cursed Shinobi World."

"Forget...everything?" She nuzzled into the god's arms. "You can really do that?" she asked in a whisper.

"EVERYTHING. Even those awful things that Sasuke said to you." The look-alike smirked. " 'You really are annoying.' ...See? Isn't it painful when I do that?"

It did hurt. It really did hurt.

"I don't even know if I fell for Sasuke because of his looks or for himself..." Sakura mumbled. "But... there's got to be a catch. What do you want from me?"

"I want you to be happy." The god stroked her pink hair. "What other point is there in being a god of memory? Everything will be fine. I erase your memories, I erase the memories and fiddle with the records over there, and you just... have a life here. Take out the bad memories, and start anew. I just want to... ease your mind."

Sakura gazed into the god's face, or rather, Sasuke's face worn by a god. She would forget Sasuke and all the pain he caused her. She would forget all of her failures. And everybody back home would just... forget. Forget. Forget.


If you have questions, comments, or suggestions, please tell me! If I suck, by all means tell me. In an intelligent manner.


Dimensional Exchanges By XyoushaX This fanfic is complete.
 
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim.html


Discuss books at  Blogging about Books http://www.seltzerbooks.com/blog/
Other book reviews by Richard Seltzer
Opus authors -- contemporary writers whose entire work is great
The Readers' Corner and Writers Showcase


This site is published by Samizdat Express, 213 Deerfield Lane, West Roxbury, MA 02132-002. (203) 553-9925 seltzer@seltzerbooks.com

Book collections on CD and DVD. A library for the price of a book.
Limited time offer: 2 for the price of 1
 

Return to Samizdat Express

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.com