Dimensional Exchanges

By XyoushaX
 

Chapter 8: A New Acquaintance?



 (Tim Seltzer, seltzer@seltzerbooks.com)


Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto. I do not own Wedding Peach. I do not own any great quantity of money or property. I'm a STUDENT; that's why I'm poor, okay? 

Sakura dropped her backpack on a bench, and it landed with a thud on the poor wood. The bag held six heavy textbooks. She sat down next to it for a short rest. The red sunset reflected off the beautiful river flowing by.

'Geez, I have to be a little stronger than this,' she thought as beads of sweat trickled down.

"Hello there." Sakura jumped at the voice from behind. She quickly turned around to see who it was.

There was a beautiful woman standing on the grass. She had wavy blonde hair which was tied back with a green bow. She looked to be in her twenties, and was dressed in long, emerald green robes with some gold embroidery. The evening light washed over the contours of her face and clothes in just the right places.

The lady walked down to Sakura and sat next to her. "I've seen you pass here often recently, but we've never actually introduced ourselves. I suppose you are a new resident of this city."

Sakura was dumbfounded. It had been two weeks and nobody had tried to make friends with her — outside of Momoko's circle, at least. Sakura appeared out of nowhere, and her presence was a very mysterious one to most citizens.

Sakura blushed, realizing that she was staring — both at the woman's beauty and at the friendly gesture. Sakura quickly remembered her manners. "Um, ah... I'm Haruno Sakura. I'm pleased to meet your acquaintance," she said as she bowed her head.

"My name is Minoru. Otherwise known as Elf of the Vines."

Sakura cocked her head to the side. "Elf?"

"It is unclear whether we are descended from angels or demons." Minoru sighed. "Humans, elves, sprites... there are so many terms."

"Yeah, even the books don't order it very well," Sakura said. She paused. "I'm still trying to figure out what I'm supposed to be."

"Interesting. So you're not a complete human, and you're from another world?" Minoru asked.

"How...how did you know I was from another world?" Sakura sputtered.

Minoru laughed in a rich voice. "I just made a good guess from the nature of your aura. I won't go any further on that matter. Where do you live?"

"Up that mountain. That house there." Sakura pointed at the mansion.

A lightly surprised yet somewhat happy reaction came from the elf. "Oh, on that mountain?" she asked. "Well, I guess we're neighbors of sorts, then. Let's walk home; your guardians must be getting worried now."

"Oh, yeah!" Sakura said, realizing how late it already was. Then she glanced at her heavy bag.

Minoru smiled. "I can carry it for you."

"Oh, no!" Sakura exclaimed. "Um, I mean, I need the weight for exercise." She took the bag and, somehow, pulled the straps over her shoulders. It wasn't a very good backpack: the straps dug in, making painful blisters underneath her red dress. Then again, maybe the bag was not meant to carry six textbooks.

"You're going to shrink to half your size if you keep putting weight on your back like that. I'm taking something." Minoru yanked Sakura's bag open and pulled out three textbooks. Sakura was surprised at the open gesture, but gratefully accepted it. Minoru wasn't switching the valuable books for something else, and neither did she have malevolent vibes coming out of her — Sakura somehow felt that the elf was trustworthy.

The conversation slid onto the junior tournament as they hiked up the mountain. Minoru already knew that Sakura was entered in the junior tournament. The names of all the contestants had already circulated throughout the city, much to the kunoichi's surprise and dismay. 'So that was why I've been getting weirder looks than usual around the town square: the mysterious human who 'beat' Jura is entering. Oh joy.'

Sakura and Minoru stopped at the gates of the Fuuma residence. Minoru handed Sakura the books.

"Are you sure you can get to the house like that?" Minoru asked. Sakura nodded with a smile.

"I can totally handle it. Don't worry." Sakura walked carefully but gracefully through the gate, which closed behind her. "Good night, Minoru-san! Thank you!"

"Sakura-san!" Minoru called out in front of the gates. Sakura turned around.

Minoru seemed to fidget a little. Her face seemed a little red as she stuttered, "Um... Whenever you need help, just know that I'm around. My house is down that road, around the big maple tree."

"Okay! See you later!" Sakura called back. She rung the bell, and the door was opened by a few children, welcoming Sakura back into their home.


Sakura was flipping through the books. It was getting late.

- Ki, otherwise known as chi, chakra, or aura, relates to the spiritual energy of a living being. -

'I already know that from Ninja Academy!' Sakura thought. 'Fast forward!' She went to the middle of the book.

- In the year 6718, an electronic book fell through a wormhole. This book was "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". Off its vast information, scientists of our dimension were able to make great advances in space-time technology and reach other dimensions. The serendipitous appearance of this book also added a new chapter in philosophy, saying that the Meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything is 42. -

'Too forward.' Sakura turned back a wad of paper. 'What the hell is that supposed to mean?! FORTY-TWO?!?'

- The nature of spiritual energy differs according to the nature of the living being. The division between angel, human, and demon is the simplest and most primative categorization. However, some beings are not so clean-cut to fall into any single category. For example, elves possess magic potential, live longer than humans, but are probably not related to either demon or angel. -

"Now we're getting somewhere," Sakura mumbled.


Sakura yawned. She realized that she had fallen asleep while studying. Her back felt stiff and terrible after being hunched over a desk.

'This chair is way too comfortable for studying — and there's so much to catch up on in a new dimension!'

She heard some noises from outside. She turned out her reading light and crept up to the window to see what it was.

The streets were empty.

'Or so it seems,' Sakura thought. A thirst for adventure was at hand, a habit she picked up from Naruto. Sakura double-checked that she had all her weapons before opening the window. She jumped out of her two-story window and landed on the ground. The kunoichi then slipped through the gates as quietly as she possibly could.

She walked around the tall fences of the property, looking for whatever or whoever was there. She drew out a kunai as she heard small laughter behind her. Without turning her head, Sakura addressed the creature. "Who are you, and what are you doing around the Fuuma residence at this time of night?"

The laughter faded. "I ask you the same, human."

Sakura slowly glanced back, seeing that there was a dwarf behind her. He had brown hair and was about four feet tall. There was a large battle-axe strapped to his back.

"You have no reason to fear me, young lady — you are not my target."

The dwarf passed by Sakura. Sakura felt a strange vibe coming out of him. His aura was so weak that it seemed almost nonexistent. How was he even walking?

"Wait," Sakura said. "What do you mean, target?"

"That is no matter of your concern," the dwarf replied. "Besides, a girl your age shouldn't play a lady of the night. Think of what your parents would say."

"Don't insult me unless you want to be called 'Shorty', Shorty."

The dwarf gave a small laugh. "Never mind, I apologize for picking a quarrel with you. Let us go our ways."

Sakura watched the dwarf turn the corner around a large maple tree.

She started to walk back to the mansion, but then she froze in her tracks. 'Wait a minute, isn't that where Minoru-san's house — Minoru-san!'

Sakura dashed off, running towards the tree. She heard scuffling. Then a battle roar. She turned around the corner to face a horrendous sight.

Minoru was gasping, knelling in a puddle of her own blood. She was clutching her chest where there was a dark stain in her green robes. The dwarf was entangled in vines as he hovered over the crouching, green form. He slowly raised his axe to decapitate the elf.

'Oh, God, NO!' Sakura burst into the scene and threw three shuriken. One of them hit and sunk into the sphenoid bone of the dwarf's skull. The axe missed Minoru and clattered to the ground.

Sakura just realized that she made the dwarf brain-dead. She wanted to hurl — and then the dwarf and the axe cracked. The dwarf fell, turning into a broken statue.

"Minoru-san!!" Sakura ran to the elf, who was still bleeding and very real.

"Tha...Thank you, Sakura-san..." Minoru gasped. "The wound isn't very deep, I can handle it myself now."

"No, Minoru-san, I'm helping. I have bandages and some medical training." Sakura started to undress the top of Minoru's robes.

"Um, Sakura-san, I don't think you should—"

"Minoru-san, you're hurt, and besides, we're both girls! There's nothing to be ashamed—" Sakura grabbed at the shirt, and then froze at what she felt.

Minoru's chest was completely flat.

Sakura's eyes were wide. "You... you're a... man?"

Minoru sighed. "Yes, I am a man. Now that that's all clear, you might as well go on."

Sakura recovered from the shock and pulled away the bloodied shirt from the wound. The kunoichi gulped as she pulled out her medical kit and started to clean up his chest, which was a very fine chest indeed. The wound turned out to be only a shallow cut, so she could easily bandage him up with her gauze and tape.

Sakura helped Minoru up, and he leaned on her as they wanted to his house. He insisted that he didn't need it, but Sakura was afraid that he might faint from the loss of blood.

"What was that, anyway?" Sakura asked. "It looked like an earth clone of sorts, or those angel guards on the third floor of the library."

"Not quite," Minoru said. "The library's guards are earth-angels — they can materialize into earth, and then turn back into their humanoid forms."

"Hmpf. I knew that there was something wrong with that last guard," Sakura said. "But the dwarf... I mean, the thing that attacked you... it turned into a statue rather than dirt."

"That was a ghost within a hollow shell. There are some advanced forms of magic that give temporary life to a statue of clay, which can be used as a killing machine."

Sakura frowned. "Sounds disgusting."

"It is. The magic is forbidden, for it requires a sacrifice: a soul of a newly dead person must be implanted into a ceramic statue. This has happened to me before — being attacked by statues, I mean — and I was able to defeat each one that came my way. But tonight, I underestimated things... I thought I could get by with just my plant powers."

"Why are you on a hit list?" Sakura asked. There was a tiny quaver in her voice. There was the possibility that Minoru was a dangerous criminal like Uchiha Itachi — but there were no evil vibes from him. So...what?

"I can't tell you about it," he quietly said. "You might end up becoming a target, too. Maybe some other time."

The two reached the steps of his doorway. He touched his fingers on the doorknob, and a faint click was heard. 'Wow, knobs that recognize the owner,' Sakura thought. 'That must be some intricate magic.'

"I can walk on my own now, Sakura-san." He loosened the arm which was draped around her shoulders. And then he did something which was completely unexpected to the girl: he embraced her.

Sakura's green eyes widened.

"I owe you my life, Sakura-san," the elf said as he held her. "If you hadn't saved me then and there, then I would most probably be dead now."

He let her go, and she saw true gratitude in his blue eyes. But there was a strange crease in his eyebrows, lasting just a second. It showed some sort of sadness... of longing?

"Good night, Minoru-san." Sakura turned away as the door closed. 'Why do I feel so odd?'

Strangely enough, Minoru thought the same thing as he lay in bed that night.


If you have questions, comments, or suggestions, please tell me! If I suck, by all means tell me. In an intelligent manner.


Dimensional Exchanges By XyoushaX This fanfic is complete.
 
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim.html


Discuss books at  Blogging about Books http://www.seltzerbooks.com/blog/
Other book reviews by Richard Seltzer
Opus authors -- contemporary writers whose entire work is great
The Readers' Corner and Writers Showcase


This site is published by Samizdat Express, 213 Deerfield Lane, West Roxbury, MA 02132-002. (203) 553-9925 seltzer@seltzerbooks.com

Book collections on CD and DVD. A library for the price of a book.
Limited time offer: 2 for the price of 1
 

Return to Samizdat Express

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.com