Dimensional Exchanges

By XyoushaX
 

Chapter 39: Ghostly Touch



 (Tim Seltzer, seltzer@seltzerbooks.com)


Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto. I do not own Wedding Peach. I do not own any great quantity of money or property. I'm a STUDENT; that's why I'm poor, okay? 

Potamos squirmed uncomfortably as she walked through the high grasses. The hairs of the plants around her tickled her exposed legs. As the trio of Sakura, Minoru and Potamos traveled further, the environment grew more dead-like. The grass was turning yellow, and the tree-leaves wilted brown.

"I don't understand," Sakura said. "We're supposed to be getting nearer to the Tree of Life, aren't we? It's a wasteland here."

"The Tree of Life is in danger," Minoru breathed. "Who knows what Dryad is doing. The unicorn left us his horn, which is an item jam-packed with healing magic."

"Who's going to do the healing, Mino-chan?" Potamos asked.

"Probably the best healer in Frida Village — or at least, the most willing," the elf commented. "If no one comes, then I shall perform the task. Sakura-san could do it, if it came to that."

"Don't kid me," Sakura huffed. "I don't even know if I can. I can heal slight wounds on animals, sure. But I've never healed a plant before — and the Tree of Life must be huge."

"With the horn, you can," Minoru said. "Unicorn horn is one of the densest extracts of healing ki, amino acids, and enzymes. With the right user, that horn is enough to heal at least two-hundred wounded soldiers."

Sakura halted. "What? Then... why didn't the unicorn use it, then?" she asked. "Couldn't he have used it on himself?"

"The unicorn wanted to save Dryad's presence in the Rifts," Minoru explained. "Even though he was a servant of Lumina, the creature also respected the balance of power between the different guardians. Apparently, every curve and curl of the horn was needed."

Potamos sniffed the air. There was a slight change in the atmosphere. "Mino-chan, I smell something."

Minoru and Sakura noticed it as well. "It smells of rotting flesh," Sakura commented, wrinkling her nose.

Minoru closed his eyes. Probing his incomplete mind, he looked for signs of another soul nearby.

There was none. Unless...

Sakura shoved Minoru away, and drove Tennyo into a tall something that rose up from the ground behind him.

Minoru glanced back, and he nearly collapsed from shock. Potamos had her hands over her mouth. She seemed paralyzed, with her yellow cat-eyes wide from awe.

It felt like an eternity for Sakura: she was looking directly in the face of a zombie. Tennyo was imbedded in a walking, dead body.

The half-covered skull grinned at Sakura. She immediately pulled the katana out of the body. The forcible yank brought crumbs of corpse flying into her face. "Get away!!" she screamed, hacking off an arm in one clean swing.

The being made an incoherent sound. With its still-intact arm, it threw a punch at Sakura. She blocked it with her wrist — and then realized it was nothing but bone, held together by random pieces of corrupt tendons, sinew and skin. She was touching it. Sakura pushed it away in horror.

Minoru chanted some lines, and a massive wall of vines caught the corpse and raised it up, like a crucifix. One spiked vine went through the zombie's chest, making it droop in total lifelessness.

The elf cursed as he looked around. "Devil-child, behind you!!"

Potamos glanced back, and saw an even larger corpse raise an axe behind her. She screamed as she jumped away.

Sakura flicked her hands into the sequence. With a glowing sword in hand, she sliced the zombie's head off before it attacked Potamos again.

Meanwhile, the elf was trying to detect the main controller of the undead soldiers. Whoever it was, the caller was far away, and powerful. 'He must be at least a hundred meters away from us,' Minoru thought. 'I thought that the rock golems were something to be reckoned, but this is even more difficult...'

A hand crawling with maggots shot out of the earth. It grabbed at Sakura's heels, trying to pull her down. She kicked it away, and then realized that more of them were growing out.

"Oh, my, God..." Sakura panted.

An army of corpses erupted around them. There were at least one hundred in number.

"A graveyard..." the elf hissed. Minoru shouted a few powerful lines, and his ivy grabbed a handful of zombies. About a third were forcefully pulled back into the grave. "Where in God's name is the caller?!" he asked in frustration.

"Junpuu no Shihougiri!!!" Sakura yelled, making a green cross in the midst of undead. "Minoru-san, what do you mean, 'caller'?" she asked.

"There's a necromancer somewhere," Minoru explained. He punched some zombies away, while trying to scry the surrounding area for the culprit.

"I can't kill 'em!!" Potamos screeched. Sakura looked back, and noticed that their attacks did not really kill the zombies. Her Shihoukiri merely dismembered the living dead for a split-second before they clumsily knocked the limbs back into their proper places. Potamos could only freeze them, until they cracked away the layer of ice. Only Minoru's vines seemed to be effective, and he was now panting from the effort.

"Slice them apart, while I'll try to find the source," Minoru ordered.

Sakura gulped, and looked around at the herd slowly advancing on them. She cleared her mind, as the initial panic had already died. 'I feel anger... and bitter sadness...' she thought. True, Sakura was scared. Who wouldn't be, being attacked by soldiers who were supposed to be dead? But something was amiss.

She remembered reading about zombies: these things had souls that never fulfilled themselves while they were still alive. As they did not do anything useful in their life on earth, they had little hope at an afterlife. Necromancers gave them something of a second chance, and the living dead usually accepted — to prove themselves useful. Useful to someone. Anyone.

Sakura pulled out a scroll from a case, hung by strings around her shoulders. She tried to remember where she had put her jutsu-equations that related to spiritual matters. 'Where did it say something about spirit-sealing?!' she frantically asked herself. 'Wait a sec, sealing is too complex; I need something more suited to my level...'

Fumbling with the scroll, the kunoichi rolled part of it out over her left arm, now and then pausing to slice apart or kick away the undead puppets. For a while, she did well holding back the zombies while looking through her notes.

As if on cue, the wooden holder broke, and the entire scroll rolled apart on the ground like toilet paper. An obscenity escaped Sakura's lips.

"Sacchan, we don't have TIME for that!!" Potamos yelled. As anybody who was not a bookworm knew, a battle was hardly the best condition for studying. The water-demon threw a shower of icy water in one direction, making the zombies freeze into statues.

One arm burst out of the ground and grabbed at the scroll. The hand instantly was stabbed through by Tennyo. "Don't touch my notes!!" the pink-haired girl snarled. Sakura crouched down and quickly gathered the scroll back together, forcing the rotting hands back underground where they belonged. "Ugh," Sakura exhaled, evading another swing. 'These poor bastards,' the kunoichi thought to herself as she rolled the papyrus back together. 'Talk about fate worse than death. At least I came up with a basic jutsu to calm down spirits.'

Sakura's hands performed a total of seven hand-seals. A warm, pink aura began to radiate from her body.

What was remaining of the standing zombies raised their fists and weaponry against Sakura's still form — and hesitated. Some were repulsed by her presence. A few simply stayed.

Minoru's wristband began to pulse over a crack in the ground. It was here. The elf reached down in the hollow and pulled out a grayish, fruit-like object. Within three seconds of holding it, the elf dropped it with a wince. It was too powerful. 'Now that was rather stupid of me,' he inwardly scoffed. Minoru then attempted to thrust the object through with a vine. It was too dense. He growled. 'So necromancers are making anti-elf toys. How smart of them.'

The blond elf then noticed the lack of fighting going on around him. Did Sakura and Potamos cut the rest of them down, at least temporarily?

Minoru saw what state the kunoichi was in. Sakura had her hands folded together in a seal, a pink glow outlining the frame of her body.

An idea occurred to him. "Sakura-san!" Minoru yelled, making her green eyes open. "Use that charm on this object here — it's controlling these corpses! I think it's some sort of new invention of a necromancer!"

"Be right with you, Minoru-san!" Sakura performed a spinning roundhouse on the still zombies around her, and put a burst of chakra into her legs. As she ran, her hands flicked into the sequence again — but this time, she focused the aura into her hands.

'Oh, I PRAY to the gods that this works,' Minoru thought to himself.

Sakura put her hands together into the final hand-seal. Slowly, she unfolded it to reveal a crackling wisp of pink light. The girl knelt down to the pulsing rock, and directed the aura to flow into it.

The rock gave an angry zap at Sakura. She cried out.

A black aura sprouted out from the rock, and enveloped the girl in a wave of ghastly coldness. Minoru was pushed away from the blast, while Sakura was trapped inside.

The elf yelled in pain as his body was shot away. "SAKURA-SAN!!!"

He attempted to run back and pull Sakura away from the cursed talisman — but he was blasted away again from the force. "Damn my elfin body!!" he snarled.

Sakura, meanwhile, felt as if all of her nerves were grated all at once. An image of a terrible nothingness flashed through her mind. It was a total emptiness: no emotions, no images — not even memories.

Then, inhumane screeches rung in her ears. A few random phrases shot towards her, like sounds of ice stabbing into her ears.

'Get out, you lowly human!!'

A different voice rung — instead of rage, it was full of despair. 'Help us, for the love of God!!' There were other voices crying. 'Please... have mercy on us,' someone else pleaded. 'We just want to rest...'

'What?' Sakura thought. But before she could listen more carefully, another zap of chakra drowned out the voices, replacing them with the first demonic shout of laughter. 'You're nothing but a weakling! Get out before your soul joins them.'

Sakura ground her teeth: that voice must have been the necromancer's, playing through his new remote control. Little did he know that she was not one to give up on a fight.

Sakura kept her hands over the object, holding on with every drop of will in her veins. The energy she used was slightly different than what she created in her other jutsu. This was a calming technique. It worked in a similar manner to a genjutsu, except that instead of creating disturbing images, it cleansed them out.

"Let them go," Sakura whispered harshly. Her bright green eyes locked onto the cursed rock, which seemed to morph into the shape of a human skull.

'Don't even try, girl, or I SHALL KILL YOU!!'

Righteous indignation rose in Sakura. Fear banished from her. "I'm telling you... leave these bodies in PEACE!!" she shot back.

The power in her increased in strength, overcoming the foreign energy.

The stone cracked. The energy dissipated into thin air.

Sakura's aura glowed downed. Clutching her chest, she took in breaths of fresh air. She glanced up to witness the spell's effect.

The zombies lowered their weapons. They turned toward Sakura. The kunoichi nervously grasped the hilt of her sword.

Instead of attacking her, the undead beings gave her toothy grins, and began to walk back into the earth. The kunoichi sank on top of the crumbled ground in exhaustion.

Minoru ran to her side, taking hold her shoulders. "Sakura-san?!" he asked, lightly shaking her.

"Minoru-san..." Sakura mumbled. "Where's Potamos?"

The elf heavily breathed as he observed the tired look on her face. Even after that, she was worried about the devil-child. Even after her soul was in danger of joining the ranks of those undead puppets, threatened with a living death, Sakura could still...

Tears began to form in his blue eyes. He had almost lost Sakura. Without hesitation, Minoru embraced her.

"From now on, I'm your big brother," he whispered into her ear.

Sakura was confused. "What?"

'You're growing up too quickly,' Minoru thought, 'just like that damnable bastard in your own world.'

Potamos coughed as she staggered towards the two, nearly gagging. "That's... what a rotting corpse looks like?" she weakly asked.

Minoru looked at her. "You've never seen one before?" he stated. He was very surprised that she had a look of horror on her face. "I thought you liked blood," the elf commented.

"I like killing FRESH. Just not... that stuff..." Potamos mumbled.

Minoru remembered that the purple-haired girl was a demon, whose kind melted into nature at the moment of death. Celestials were familiar with the concept of death, but not necessarily its image. A rotting corpse could register negatively to an angel or demon's psyche if they had little experience in seeing them. No wonder Potamos seemed rather scared and immobile during the fight with the slow-moving monsters.

"Well: that confirms that something normal is in you after all," Minoru sighed. He pulled out a piece of cloth from his supplies, and wrapped it around the broken pieces of the necromancer-rock. He chanted some words over the bundle — a net of golden ki wove itself around, magically sealing it.

"We have to show this to the village elder in Frida," he stated, putting the bundle in his bag. "Such an active item so near the Energy Spring of Dryad — it's almost ludicrous. Something definitely is wrong."

Sakura coughed. She moaned in pain.

"Sacchan, are you okay?!" Potamos asked in worry.

"Her spiritual energy reserves are drained," Minoru said, cradling Sakura closer to him. "We need to get to Frida."


Sasuke turned over uncomfortably on his bed. His curse seal was itching again. He ordered himself to calm down.

'You are Orochimaru's beloved servant,' something whispered.

Control.

'Go to him, now!' it further urged.

Control.

'You will regret it if you don't.'

What control?

Sasuke gulped. That stupid urge to go crawling to Orochimaru fascinated him whenever his curse seal acted up. Thankfully, there was one absolute defense against this.

He thought of the one person who started this hell for him: Uchiha Itachi. A flash of Sharingan eyes and a long trenchcoat crossed Sasuke's mind. With a renewed sense of hate, the discomfort of the black mark went away.

The prodigy, now fourteen, touched the strange mark on the side of his neck. He sighed in relief: it was stable again. Good God, was he really thinking ten seconds ago that he just MIGHT want to serve Orochimaru all his life?

It so was bizarre: the same hate which drove him to survive Orochimaru's bite, successfully tempted him to achieve its second level, and join the Sound — that hate protected him from the full effects of the curse. Itachi's memory was his trump card for sanity.

Yes, sanity. Although Sasuke did slightly become mental when he thought about Itachi, at least he remained in control of his own will. The thought of his brother's existence in this world banished ideas of suicide and self-torture, or to submit completely to Orochimaru's will. There was one goal of Sasuke — to kill that man — and it kept him going.

Sasuke tried to avoid thinking about the aftermath of his ambitions. If he succeeded in killing Itachi, and impregnated some random girl — he would have no more reason to live. He wanted to die in peace when it was all over. He would be tired of living an empty life.

Thanks to Itachi, Sasuke had a reason to live. It was a low existence, yes. But it was AN existence. Carrying out justice, and striking down a dangerous criminal: what better duty could a ninja ask for?

"Shit," the raven-haired boy breathed. There was a tiny hint of dreaming overcoming him. This seemed to happen whenever he was having trouble falling asleep. The hope might possibly coincide with his ambitions. But it was a low possibility indeed. Sasuke thought that maybe... he could be more-or-less content with life. To be happy.

But that hope was immediately squelched out as he logically pondered it. Why should he hope for happiness, when it was impossible by definition? He was Uchiha Sasuke, for crying out loud.

Besides, plenty of people were unhappy. One did not need a murderous sibling to be incurably miserable.

'I have to invest all my work and luck in killing Itachi,' Sasuke resolved. 'That is my duty towards the Uchiha clan. It is my EXISTENCE.'

Sasuke added as an afterthought: 'It would take a miracle to make ME happy.'

Up above the mountain, a tengu chuckled quietly. 'This will be more interesting than I first thought,' he mused before he warped out of the air. 'Man, what a screwed-up family, to say the least.'


A guard yawned. He stood in front of Frida Village, facing the sunset. The man was glad that he had this side of the high fence. The opposite side of the village faced the increasingly gloomy depths of the Rifts — in the direction of Shadow, which had strengthened unnaturally over the past years.

The human saw a small traveling party come down over the hills. He was about to shout out, when his elfin colleague put a hand on his shoulder.

"Look closely at them before you welcome them," the elf quietly said. He possessed straight, platinum-blond hair, slicked back over his head.

The human guard observed them from a distance, confused at his companion's rather cold demeanor. "A blond elf... with two girls. I can't tell their races."

"Beware the one with lavender hair," the elf crisply said. "She looks like a demon."

"A demon?!" his human friend asked nervously.

"Pardon us, please!" Minoru yelled from afar. "We seek food and lodging. There is also something important to discuss with the head elder."

The elfin guard put on a grim face. "Travelers?" he asked in a cool manner, as the party clumsily walked up to the gate. "What business do you have in these dangerous parts?"

A weak smile crept over Minoru's face. "Dear God. Brother, have you already forgotten me?"

Realization dawned on the guard's face.

"Minoru?" he croaked out after a long silence.

He was answered with a sheepish grin.

"Oh, my, god — Minoru, you're safe!" the elf laughed, grabbing his younger brother's shoulders in order to embrace him.

And then, he stopped. He carefully observed Minoru. He let go calmly, and opened his mouth to say something — but nothing came out. For a while.

Before Sakura and Potamos knew it, Minoru was punched directly in the forehead by his older brother.

"YOU COMPLETE IMBECILE!!" he screamed. "DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MUCH FATHER HAS WORRIED ABOUT YOU THESE PAST THREE OR FOUR DECADES?!?"

"Bro, please be reasonable..." Minoru said, rubbing his forehead.

"SILENCE!!!" the older elf roared. "All these years, and you give just a passing message through the mirror whenever you feel like it! Honestly: joining a gang after the war was already a crazy stunt in itself, COMPLETELY DISGRACEFUL FOR AN ELF, but then you have the NERVE to live in Minerva without any mention whatsoever of what's happening to you!"

"Nothing that was WORTH MENTIONING happened!" Minoru argued.

"Um, excuse me," Sakura said, interrupting with an annoyed cough. "If you two elves could kindly do your family-bonding later, I kind of need some aura help. And we're on official business regarding the Tree of Life."

Minoru's brother grimaced. "Is this true?" he hissed towards the elf with wavy, blond hair.

"Very true. I can even speak it in ancient elvish if you are still drowned in skepticism," Minoru chirped.

"Fine, fine," the guard mumbled. "However," — he pointed to Potamos — "SHE stays out of the village."


Notes:

If you have questions, comments, or suggestions, please tell me! If I suck, by all means tell me. In an intelligent manner.


Dimensional Exchanges By XyoushaX This fanfic is complete.
 
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim.html


Discuss books at  Blogging about Books http://www.seltzerbooks.com/blog/
Other book reviews by Richard Seltzer
Opus authors -- contemporary writers whose entire work is great
The Readers' Corner and Writers Showcase


This site is published by Samizdat Express, 213 Deerfield Lane, West Roxbury, MA 02132-002. (203) 553-9925 seltzer@seltzerbooks.com

Book collections on CD and DVD. A library for the price of a book.
Limited time offer: 2 for the price of 1
 

Return to Samizdat Express

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.com