Dimensional Exchanges

By XyoushaX
 

Chapter 17: Inner Thought



 (Tim Seltzer, seltzer@seltzerbooks.com)


Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto. I do not own Wedding Peach. I do not own any great quantity of money or property. I'm a STUDENT; that's why I'm poor, okay? 

Author's Notes: I am eternally grateful for the reviewers who point out technical mistakes in my work. Thank you, thank you, thank you!


After scrubbing and rinsing her sweat off with the nearby show-heads, Sakura plunged herself into the stone Japanese-bathtub. 'Setting aside the kids, I guess it's sort of a luxury to live with the Fuumas. In the Shinobi World, this size of a bathroom would be normal for a small village inn...'

Sakura gave a sigh as she let herself soak. Her body was exhausted from training.

"So are you ready for tomorrow's match?" Momoko asked next to her.

"As ready as I could ever be," Sakura replied. "I just need to relax and have a good sleep."

The kunoichi had noticed a long time ago how beautiful her biological mother was. 'At first glance, the only thing I have in common with her is pink hair... And Yousuke looks great...'

"Um... Momoko?" Sakura asked. "How did you and Yousuke meet?"

Momoko laughed. "That's right, you only know that we met as humans in the human realm. It was when were both 12. I was on the school newspaper, and tried to snag an interview with the soccer captain. Instead, the back-up goalie — Yousuke — kicked me off the field and told me to buzz off."

Sakura frowned. "Sounds like a bad start."

"You got that right. At first, I couldn't stand him. He called me 'Momo-P' only two days after we met, and liked to make me mad on trifle things. But... we really did care for each other. Even when our individual powers awakened, we grew closer together."

Sakura smiled faintly, and cast down her eyes. 'What a fairy-tale,' she thought to herself. 'Romeo and Juliet with a happy ending. Very rarely happens, if ever. She's so lucky.'

Momoko noticed the hint of sadness in the girl's smile. "Oh... Did you leave a lover over there? I'm sorry..."

"Not really," Sakura said. "It was just a stupid obsession on my part. Nothing serious. Don't worry — I got over it, long before I even came to this dimension."

The kunoichi gave a dry laugh. "I had a huge crush on this dark, smart, handsome guy. Number-one rookie of my graduating class, and he ended up on my team when the genin-teams were chosen."

"So you were friends?" Momoko asked.

"Yeah... I guess we became friends. He showed as much expression as a rock — when he wasn't fighting, anyway. He was quiet, and so caught up in... getting stronger. He save my life a few times, but that was because we were teammates, and I couldn't protect myself. I was the weakest member of the team."

"I see," the angel murmured. "But what I want to know is... do you still have feelings for him?"

Sakura gave a wry smile. "No. I don't think so." She cupped her hands and lifted up some hot water, splashing it on her face.


Sasuke looked in the distance through the trees. The gates of Konoha were open. His parents, Naruto, and Kakashi and were waving at him, welcoming him back.

"Yo, Sasuke!" Naruto yelled out.

"Hey, Dobe." Sasuke smirked at the obvious rage in Naruto's face.

It was such a relief to Sasuke that there were no girls around, swooning over him like brainless idiots. But there was something not right.

"Hey, Naruto, where's Sakura?"

Naruto blinked. "Sakura?"

Sasuke stared back at his teammate. This wasn't possible — even for an idiot like Naruto. Sasuke pulled Naruto up by the collar.

"Usura-tonkachi!! Where's Sakura, our teammate?" he growled.

"Who the hell are you talking about?!" Naruto yelled. "You mean Kakashi?"

"Kakashi's our teacher, Moron! Don't tell me you don't remember her!" Sasuke snapped his head in Kakashi's direction. "Kakashi!" he exclaimed, as if demanding him to do something.

Kakashi put his palm to Sasuke's empty forehead, as if he were checking for a fever. Sasuke brushed him off in frustration.

Sasuke turned to his parents. "Too-san! Kaasan!"

He then remembered that his parents wouldn't know Sakura. They never met her.

They were dead, for crying out loud.

Sasuke decided to take this opportunity to ask stupid questions. Anybody did senseless things in dreams — even Sasuke — and this definitely was a dream. Maybe communicating with the dead was possible in this state.

"Too-san, Kaa-san... Have you seen Sakura anywhere? She's about this tall, with pink hair and green eyes. Is she in the Land of the Dead? Or if you're wandering around Earth, have you seen her?"

They smiled at him. They faded away. Naruto and Kakashi followed suit.

Sasuke somehow expected this. He decided to take another route.

"SAKURA!" he yelled out, turning around back to the forest. As if on cue, the greenery warped into a desert. The teenager squinted, and saw that there was an oasis up ahead. He walked up to it. He saw a figure crouching under a palm tree, near the edge of the sparkling pool.

Sakura was kneeling and smelling at the flowers around the oasis. She looked up to find Sasuke in standing in front of her.

The pink-haired girl looked down shyly. Sakura was not in her normal clothing. Instead, she was dressed like a — what was it again? — tennyo. Sasuke remembered the story of the fisherman and the heavenly maiden. His mother read it to him often when he was little.

"Hello, Sasuke-kun." She gave a smile. "How are you?"

"I'm... I'm fine," Sasuke said. He seated himself down next to her. "Sakura... where are you? Why aren't you in Konoha?"

"I'm home," Sakura replied. "This is my home."

The Uchiha had no idea how to react to this. In the long silence, he decided to gaze at her.

She wore a red kimono with embroidered cherry blossoms, but it was long, in a more ancient style — like what a concubine wore. Underneath the red kimono was a thin white kimono — its long, fluttering ends covered her feet. The material looked so thin and light-weight, draping loosely over her figure. A finely-woven, pink hagoromo floated magically around her shoulders.

Sasuke suddenly felt something. 'Since when was Sakura this…'

As if reading his thoughts, Sakura hesitantly moved her face towards his.

Some sort of animal instinct pushed the Uchiha forward. He started to lean closer to her, something he would never do in real life. This was the only time and place where he could forgot about his duties on Earth.

Yet before Sasuke could touch her, Sakura was jerked away from him. She shrieked in fright.

The young man saw in horror that the oasis had now turned into a massive wall of vines. The green tendrils encircled Sakura's limbs, pulling her away. They grabbed at Sasuke as well.

"Damn it!" the boy shouted as he slashed away the vines with his kunai. They were getting too fast, so he performed his Chidori and ripped the plants through. He tried to reach Sakura, but more tendrils came out to obscure his way.

As Sasuke fought off the vines, he noticed Sakura did not look frightened anymore. In fact, she looked...

"SAKURA!!" Sasuke screamed. The vines dropped the lifeless maiden, and slinked out of Sasuke's way.

Sasuke stumbled towards the limp form. He reached out to touch her.

"You're not worthy of her," something hissed from above.

Sakura's green eyes opened half-way. "Sa...Sasuke-kun..." She weakly murmured. "I..." Her green eyes turned blank. Her breath stopped.


Sasuke jerked out of bed. He was covered in cold sweat.

'Just a dream...'

He put a hand over his dark eyes.

'Oh, hell. That was just ridiculous.'


The door creaked open. Momoko carefully stepped in, and closed the door behind her. She tip-toed over to the bed in which Sakura peacefully lay. A red compact nestled in Momoko's hand. It had a large, heart-shaped jewel on its cover.

Sakura was stretched out on the mattress, wearing the nightshirt she got from Momoko.

Momoko repositioned the crumpled blankets so that they adequately covered the girl. Then the angel flicked open her compact, holding it over Sakura's sleeping form.

The compact began to glow with aura. "Sacred Mirror," she whispered. "Please show me the special person of my daughter."

An image appeared in the compact's mirror. A handsome, raven-haired youth appeared. He physically looked Sakura's age, but his eyes were those of an adult.

'I knew it,' Momoko thought with a gentle smile. 'She still has feelings for him.'

The compact shut with a faint click.

Momoko stroked away the pink hairs obscuring Sakura's face, admiring her daughter's beauty in the moonlight. The angel gave a gentle kiss on her forehead. 'My poor girl. But you are loved — more than you have any idea of.'


Notes:

"Momo-P" - the 'P' is sort of a cute suffix for girls, usually given between close female friends (or, if said by a guy, only to his girlfriend). This is why Momoko couldn't stand Yousuke calling her this when they met only recently.

"Usura-tonkachi" - it's usually translated as 'total moron' or 'total idiot' by translators. It's literal meaning is hard to decipher. "Tonkachi" means 'hammer', so the term could emphasize that Naruto is dense as a rock. Or a charging-in-type, not paying attention to details, as the reader phoenix-light pointed out. "Usura" can mean 'total' or 'complete'. Both of these words are rather archaic, so the fact that Sasuke came up with such a full-blown nickname could emphasize that he's well-read. (This is my GUESS; I know Japanese as a mother language, but I have no doctorate in it. So please, DON'T trust me on this one.)

Don't worry; the action is coming soon.

If you have questions, comments, or suggestions, please tell me! If I suck, by all means tell me. In an intelligent manner.


Dimensional Exchanges By XyoushaX This fanfic is complete.
 
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim.html


Discuss books at  Blogging about Books http://www.seltzerbooks.com/blog/
Other book reviews by Richard Seltzer
Opus authors -- contemporary writers whose entire work is great
The Readers' Corner and Writers Showcase


This site is published by Samizdat Express, 213 Deerfield Lane, West Roxbury, MA 02132-002. (203) 553-9925 seltzer@seltzerbooks.com

Book collections on CD and DVD. A library for the price of a book.
Limited time offer: 2 for the price of 1
 

Return to Samizdat Express

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.com