Van and the Mercenary

By Sakura Courage Solo, sakura_courage_solo@yahoo.com
Sakura's home page http://www.geocities.com/callista_crystalstar/sakura_solos_dreamworld.html

Chapter 21

"One Night Together"


Very clever fanfic. It makes it so that characters from two eras which are hundreds of years apart end up meeting.  The main Zoid in here, called The War Wolf, is very believable. Tim Seltzer, seltzer@seltzerbooks.com


Sakura's Disclaimer: This goes for all chapters,so I don't have to write this dislaimer again...I don't own Zoids and don't get paid for writing this.Thank you.
 


Was it a dream?

Or...a vision?

The four of us;Sakura,Bit,Sombra and I;had launched an attack on the second of the three main Neo Imperial bases of Planet Zi.Raven showed up to give us more trouble,and almost won.But I once again merged with the War Wolf,transforming it into the Celeste Wolf.We fought hard after that,and almost won,but Darth Malice intervened.She teleported Raven out and challenged Sakura to come after her.

But now I had found myself stuck in the Celeste Wolf's Zoid Core,having no idea how to get out.The Celeste Wolf told us it would be all right though,and that we just had to let it run it's course.

It took a while,but eventually,Sakura managed to pull me out after I had an immense jolt of pain.I was all right though,but the Celeste Wolf did'nt revert back to the War Wolf this time like it had in the past,and I had changed to:My stripe,my clothes,and my wings.

It's starting to make me wonder...how much else is gonna change now?


Chapter 21

"One Night Together"

"The third and final base is only a day away..."

I thought to myself as I looked up at the stars from the roof I sat on.Sakura,Sombra and Bit were inside the building below me,probably sleeping.We had come across a military bunker earlier that evening and decided to stay there for the night.It had been abandoned when the Neo Empire made a run-through of the area apparently,but it was still in good condition and a warm place to sleep.

But I just could'nt sleep.My mind was on too many things.I knew this base we were going to be attacking tomorrow would be the hardest,as Darth Malice herself was there.It would also be the most dangerous.I wondered if we could pull it off...

I sighed,shaking my head and feeling a chill in the night air.I shivered slightly,deciding it was time to head in as I stood,opening the window and climbing back inside.

I looked around the bedroom that I had entered,seeing Bit and Sombra snoring away on the bunk bed:Sombra on the bottom and Bit on the top.I chuckled slightly and looked to the other bunk bed,blinking when I saw Sakura was'nt there.

"Where'd she get to?"

I wondered to myself as I silently exited the room,looking about the dark hallway.I started down it slowly,trying to be quiet all though I knew there was'nt much waking Bit and Sombra up.

Then,after a few minutes of walking the halls and going down a couple of floors,I heard something...a soft sniffle,and then a sob...someone was crying.I silently followed the sound to a small room at the end of this hall,where a dim light shone from beneath the door.I opened the door just a tiny crack and looked in,seeing Sakura sitting in the floor of the room with her back turned to the door,a candle aglow on a nearby table.Her body shook now and then as she sat there curled up and crying.

I sighed a little sadly as I watched her,slowly starting toward her.I then noticed something sitting on the floor beside her,relecting the candle light.As I got closer,I came to realize it was a small group of alcohol bottles,all of them completely empty.

"Sakura..."

I muttered,looking to her in disbelief.She hardly seemed to notice me though as I knelt down next to her,examining her reddened face and her now dull-looking eyes.I waved a hand in front of her face,but she did'nt even flinch.She was about as drunk as they get...

I sighed and gently wrapped my arms around her,hugging her to my body in a soft and comforting way.She sniffled a little,but nothing past that as I gently rocked her a little,hoping to calm whatever turmoil inside her that had pushed her to go so far as to get drunk.

She laid there in my embracement for a good while,I'm not sure exactly how long,but it was a good while.Sakura finally seemed to come a little out of it as she looked up at me.

"Van?"

She whispered,blinking her alcohol-dazed,aqua eyes slowly at me.I forced a bit of a smile to her and said,

"Hey,Saku...how you feeling?"

"Terrible..."

She replied,looking down.I could tell she felt bad that she had been caught with all this alcohol...I just sighed and said,

"Sakura,I'm not mad...I'm not saying you should have been drinking,but I'm sure you must have had a good reason,or some real bad pressure on you...you wanna talk about it?"

She slowly looked back up to me and I continued to smile,hoping to be of comfort to her.She did'nt look very comforted though and sighed,having to work to speak through all the alcohol in her system and said,

"I'm afraid..."

"Afraid of what,Saku?Whatever it is,I'll protect you,don't worry..."

"No,that's not it,Van.I'm afraid...I'm afraid I might lose you in the battle tomorrow..."

My eyes widened a little.Was that seriously what had driven her to get drunk?The fear of losing me?

I shook my head some and hugged her closer.

"Saku,you don't need to worry about that.I'm not going anywhere,I promise."

"How do you know that for sure though,Van?You don't know what's going to happen in the future...not unless you had another vision."

"To tell the honest truth,no,I have'nt had any visions about this,but...but I promise you won't lose me.I promise...just as long as you promise me that I won't lose you..."

Sakura gave another slow,drunken blink as she seemed to think about my words.I decided I had best repeat it for her.

"I promise,you won't lose me Saku,as long as you promise me that I won't lose you.Because to tell the truth,I've been afraid of losing you myself...very afraid..."

"You have?"

"Yeah,I have...losing you would be the worst thing that could happen to me,Saku.So promise me,please..."

She sighed and leaned her head on my shoulder,then softly whispering to me,

"Okay,Van.I promise."

"Thankyou..."

I whispered,continuing to rock her gently as I embraced her,hoping to make her feel better as well as just wanting to hold her and feel her warmth against my body.I sighed softly as I watched her lay there against me,not asleep but apparently just enjoying being there in my arms.I smiled slightly and took a deep breath,deciding this was about as good a time as any.

"Sakura?"

She looked back up at me slowly.

"Yes,Van?"

"Um,I was wondering..."

I began as I reached into my pocket,hoping this was'nt a mistake as I felt the wanted item,starting to pull it out.

"Sakura,when this war is over and everything...I...well...um..."

I then shook my head,scolding myself mentally as Sakura just watched me.I finally took another deep breath and held up the box that had been in my pocket so Sakura could see it.Inside the box was a ring:a ring I had carved from a piece of crystal I had found while we were in the mountains once before.Sakura's aqua eyes widened at the sight and I smiled just slightly,suddenly getting a good feeling about this which gave me the strength to say what I said next.

"Sakura...will you...marry me?"

I watched as she just looked in shock from the ring to me and then back to the ring again.A smile creeped across her face when she was finally able and she finally made her reply,

"Of course I will,Van...of course I will..."

"You will?Sakura...thank you!"

I told her,wrapping my arms more tightly around her and softly placing my lips on hers,her eyes widening a second,but she soon kissed back.This was the first time I had ever been kissed,and I think it was Sakura's first time too.

We both pulled back after a few seconds and blushed deeply,just staring at each other lovingly.Gosh,Sakura looked beautiful,even if she had been having alcohol tonight...she was just too much.I wanted to be with her forever...and never leave her side.

She finally spoke and said,

"That...was great...I never thought kissing would feel so good..."

"Really?Well...to tell the truth,neither did I...but it was great.Sort of this...warm electrical feeling,eh?"

"I'll say...I've never felt anything like it..."

We both stayed silent a moment after that,neither of us really knowing what to say,just seemingly thinking about one another and nothing else.Sakura was first to speak once again though as she finally said,

"Van...since we're getting married...um...tonight,would you like to...uh..."

She looked around a little and leaned forward,whispering something in my ear.I sweatdropped slightly,thinking the alcohol must still be having it's effects on her when I hear what she said.

"Sakura...are you sure you want to...you know...already?I mean,don't you think we should like...wait or...something?I mean,don't get me wrong,but...well,you know..."

I said,not wanting to hurt her feelings,but she was persistent,looking at me pleadingly.

"Please,Van?"

I then sighed,figuring maybe it was'nt such a bad idea since we were getting married anyway.I smiled just slightly and nodded.

"Okay,Saku.Okay."

I then stood and went to the door,closing and locking it silently...


I found myself poking my head out the door the next morning,looking both ways down the hall before looking back to Sakura.

"Okay,it's clear."

I told her,stepping out into the hall.Sakura stepping out after me,brushing her hair thoroughly.

"You think they'll suspect anything?"

She asked.I shook my head no and replied,

"Nah,they should'nt.Long as we don't ACT suspicious."

"Right...so let's not act suspicious then."

She said with a nod.I nodded back and looked around.

"Okay,so...let's just go about everything like normal."

"Right...go about everything like normal..."

"Right..."

We both nodded again and headed off to 'go about like normal'.


As you can probably guess,things went less than 'normal'.Sakura and I were totally nervous at every turn and were always making excuses to try and uselessly hide what Bit and Sombra had no idea of.I got the feeling all we were doing was giving hints rather than hiding it...I wondered in the back of my mind if Sakura and I should have done what we did.

These thoughts seriously troubled me as I now stood in the Military Bunker's Zoid Hangar,doing some work on the Celeste Wolf's blades for Sakura,to help make the battle easier.

The Celeste Wolf turned it's head to me and nudged me in a friendly manner.I smiled and petted it gently,like it was an oversized house pet.

"Yup,we get to kick the last of the Neo Imperial tail today."

I told the Wolf.It seemed to chuckle,which sounded like a cross between a laugh and a growl.

"Yup,you're a good Zoid,Celeste Wolf..."

It was then that I suddenly felt this wierd feeling overtake me,like a certain evil presence had suddenly entered the vicinity.I looked around,my chocolate eyes carefully scanning the whole area as the Celeste Wolf seemed to become very alert,understanding my sudden caution.

"It feels familiar..."

I thought to myself,trying to think back to where I had felt that presence before.I then had a sudden flashback,remembering when Darth Malice had captured me once and tried to force me to merge with a Blade's Vesuvius Wolf.

"Oh,no...not Malice..."

I whispered to myself,knowing it was her...I felt it...I opened my mouth and started to call out for Sakura and the others,but was stopped before I could start as I suddenly felt myself lose control of my body.

I would have swallowed hard at the lump forming in my throat had I control of my actions as an evil yet soft laugh suddenly filled the hangar,and Darth Malice herself stepped out in front of me.I tried desperately to move at this point,but I could'nt,my body completely frozen in it's place.I wonder now if I was even breathing at the moment...

Malice started walking toward me leisurely,and I could almost see her smirk behind that black breath mask as she did so,her black,silk cape flowing behind her all though there was'nt a breeze.

"You honestly did'nt think you were going to just get away from me scott free,did you?"

She seethed through her mask,leaning down to my level,as she was quite tall.

"Well,you can think again."

With that,she placed her hand on my forehead,and I felt myself start to lose conciousness.But without control over my body,I could'nt even begin to fight it,and soon I was out cold...

End of Chapter Twenty-One


Van and the Mercenary by Sakura


Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim.html


Discuss books at  Blogging about Books http://www.seltzerbooks.com/blog/
Other book reviews by Richard Seltzer
Opus authors -- contemporary writers whose entire work is great
The Readers' Corner and Writers Showcase


This site is published by Samizdat Express, 213 Deerfield Lane, West Roxbury, MA 02132-002. (203) 553-9925 seltzer@seltzerbooks.com

Book collections on CD and DVD. A library for the price of a book.
Limited time offer: 2 for the price of 1
 

Return to Samizdat Express

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.com