Van and the Mercenary

By Sakura Courage Solo, sakura_courage_solo@yahoo.com
Sakura's home page http://www.geocities.com/callista_crystalstar/sakura_solos_dreamworld.html

Chapter 19

"Deadly Dreams"


Very clever fanfic. It makes it so that characters from two eras which are hundreds of years apart end up meeting.  The main Zoid in here, called The War Wolf, is very believable. Tim Seltzer, seltzer@seltzerbooks.com


Sakura's Disclaimer: This goes for all chapters,so I don't have to write this dislaimer again...I don't own Zoids and don't get paid for writing this.Thank you.
 


Was it a dream?

Or...a Vision?

Sakura had found out about three main Neo Imperial bases spread out across Planet Zi,as well as the fact that Darth Malice herself was holde up in one,commanding the takeover.Sakura,Bit,Sombra and I decided to make an attack on the nearest base.

It all seemed easy enough at first,as we had a good strategy worked out.Until something unexpecte happened...Raven showed up again in an all new Zoid:The Geno Breaker.

Sakura and the War Wolf fought hard,but Raven was just too powerful.It looked as though he and the Geno Breaker had won.

But then,as my will to stop him grew stronger,I combined with the War Wolf once again,changing it into the Celeste Wolf.Raven never stood a chance now,and was defeated.

My question now though is...what is the next challenge we'll have to face?

(\^_^/) (/_\) (\^_^/)
 

Chapter 19

"Deadly Dreams"

(\^_^/) (/_\) (\^_^/)

I sighed to myself as I sat in the back seat of the War Wolf,not feeling as energetic as usual as I boredly watched the desert pass by outside,Sakura sitting in the pilot's seat and listening to Knuckles' theme from Sonic Adventure DX.She always liked that song for some reason.She always said that she and Knuckles had a lot in common.

I had to agree,but right now,I could be less interested as Sakura sang,

"Here I come,rougher than the rest of them.The best of them,tougher than leather.You can call me Knuckles,unlike Sonic I don't chuckle.I'd rather flex my muscles.I'm hard as nails,it ain't hard to tell.I break 'em down whether they solid or frail."

She was starting to get annoying with that rap song.Even Jailhouse Rock was more welcome at the moment.My head was starting to hurt.I reached under the seat and grabbed one of the Japanese fans,unfurling the camouflage cloth on it's brown,wooden prongs and blowing some air onto my face.Everything's camouflage with her...

"Sakura,could you PLEASE turn on the air conditioner?I know you like the heat,but I feel like a turkey in the oven back here..."

The blonde mercenary looked back at me in a confused manner,raising an eyebrow.

"But,Van,the air conditioner is on...I have it set to about 70 degrees farenheit..."

"Are you sure it's not broken or something?"

"I'm positive...are you feeling okay?"

I sighed agitatedly,wiping a little sweat from my brow.

"Yeah just tired...and I've got a headache..."

"You might be getting sick..."

Sakura said worriedly,putting the War Wolf on auto pilot and turning around in her seat to look at me again.She placed a hand on my forehead and gasped.

"Van,you're burning up with fever!No wonder you're hot!"

I looked up at her,just sighing and looking back down,knowing what was coming next.She was about to go ballistic over my little fever...

Sakura sat back down in her seat again and turned on the comlink,opening links to Bit and Sombra.

"Bit!Sombra!Change of course!We're heading to the nearest town right away!"

Bit and Sombra looked at each other in confusion a second before returning their gazes to Sakura.

"Howcome?What's wrong?"

Bit asked.

"Van's sick,burning up with fever.He needs a doctor."

Came her reply as she looked to the datamap to her side.

"We're heading to Kazeno Yume City.It's the closest place."

Bit and Sombra nodded without hesitation,terminating their links to Sakura and turning their run in the respected the direction,Sakura doing the same.

I did'nt argue though.I admit,I did'nt wanna go to a doctor,but I was in no mood to argue what with my headache and all.I just leaned back,closing my eyes and letting myself fall asleep.

(\^_^/) (/_\) (\^_^/)

When I came around,I found myself snuggled comfortably under the covers of a bed.I smiled,glad to have some comfort as I relaxed my body,opening my eyes a bit and looking around.

My comfort suddenly disappeared when I found I was laying in a hospital room.I sat straight up,not liking this one bit.But my head started to pound again,harder than it had before,and so I had to lay back down.I closed my eyes again,wishing to just go back to sleep.

That's when I heard the nearby door open with a slight creak.I did'nt bother to look,the light only making my head hurt worse,if that was possible right now,then hearing whoever it was walk toward me.I just kept my eyes closed though,not caring who it was and only wanting relief.

I then felt the person who had just entered the room take my arm,pricking it with a needle.I winced and opened my eyes,seeing that this person was actually a doctor.A blonde headed doctor with big glasses to be exact.But he looked familiar as he smiled to me and said,

"There now,just relax...you've been quite ill and still have yet to fully recover."

I just nodded slowly,feeling myself starting to fall asleep again as I watched this doctor smirk,once again looking familiar to me.The doctor then took off his glasses to clean them,revealing his aqua eyes...oh my gosh,it was Ryota!

Once I realized who it was,I began struggling to get up,but finding myself too weak and ill to do so,Ryota easily holding me down.

"Now now,don't fret.I'm not going to hurt you Van,just...examine you."

He said I grunted and started to call out for help,but he had apparently anticipated this,taking the oxygen mask from nearby and putting it over my face.I did'nt give up though,trying every way I could think of to writhe from him and get away.But when he gave me that needle earlier,it must have had some sort of strong anisthetic in it,as before long,I found myself too sleepy to fight anymore and finally let my body drift into an easy slumber,knowing there was nothing more I could do right now.

(\^_^/) (/_\) (\^_^/)

After what seemed like only seconds to me,I started to come around,slowly but surely opening my eyes.I closed them back again quickly,remembering that I had'nt had the best experiences with waking up lately,but I figured I should know what was going on around me and soon forced my eyes open,taking in my surroundings.

I found myself in a really strange place...a desert with shiny,black sand.The time was apparently night,as I looked up and only saw more black except for the full twin moons,but I saw no stars...how bizarre...yet familiar...

I shook my head,not liking this place as I looked around,my eyes soon resting on what looked like some lights on the horizon.I figured it must be a town or city or something and so headed for it,just wanting to get out of this place.

But it seemed so far...like the closer I got to it,the farther away it seemed.I finally got frustrated and unfurled my wings,starting to fly toward the lights.

It still took me a while,but I finally reached my destination,finding it was a large city with only a few lights,all the buildings being made out of black metal.I felt chills go up my spine as I entered this city,even though it still seemed so familiar.

"What is this place?"

I asked no one imparticular,not expecting an answer,but I got one anyway...

"You're in my world now,Ancient Zoidian..."

I heard an all too familiar voice seethe at me,looking all about.

"Ryota!"

I yelled in anger.

"Where are you?!"

I heard him let out a maniacal laugh,but I could'nt see him.That frustrated me to no end.Ryota then spoke again,his loud voice booming throughout the empty streets and bouncing loudly off of the metal buildings,

"Give yourself up to me and I will let you free of this world."

I growled,looking up and about,but still not seeing any trace of Ryota as I reeplied loudly,

"Never!I'll never give myself up to you!"

Ryota laughed again,several places around me suddenly starting to warp and swirl,then forming up into some sort of dragon-like creatures I had never seen before.They looked like humans somewhat at the same time though,standing on to legs and having hands and feet,but all with claws and green scales,a long slender tail,bat-like dragon wings,long crests on their heads rather than hair,and gleeming ruby eyes.I swallowed hard,wondering what these things were.

"You've nowhere to go,Van..."

Ryota guffawed from wherever he was as the dragon/human hybrids started to close in on me.

"Even if you do escape my minions,you won't escape from this world until I let you out.This world is all inside your mind,you see."

I blinked,wondering about this.The hybrids stopped for now,waiting for Ryota to finish speaking apparently.

"Inside my mind?"

I asked,Ryota chuckling.

"Yes.You see,in reality,you're laying asleep in my laboratory,as I am.I placed our minds in tandem you see,so this world is in your mind.A "dream world" if you will,but I'm the one who controls everything here now."

Ryota laughed again.Man,that laugh was seriously starting to get annoying.I then growled again,having ha just about enough of this.

"Okay,so if I'm in your lab,you definately have me,so why go messing with my dreams?That does'nt make sense..."

"Oh,but it makes perfect sense!You see,your Ancient Zoidian powers lay deep within the recesses of your mind,and if I am here,then I can get those powers for myself.All though...I must have you to submit to me first in order to do that,but that's only a minor setback."

"There is no way on Zi I'm letting those powers fall into your hands!I'll die before I let you have those powers!"

"Well,if you're dead,the powers will be up for grabs,so maybe killing you would be a whole lot easier than trying to get you to submit."

I cursed myself mentally,the Hybrid creatures starting to move in again.I swallowed hard,spreading my wings again and flying straight upward,just in time to evade their attack.But they were'nt ready to give up yet,oh no...not nearly.They all spread their own bat-like wings and headed after me.I swallowed hard and flew as fast as I could,hoping to get away from them as Ryota's malicious laugh once more filled the air...

(\^_^/) (/_\) (\^_^/)

"WHADDYA MEAN HE'S DISAPPEARED?!?!"

Sakura yelled angrily at one of the doctors as she,Sombra and Bit stood outside my room.Bit and Sombra backed up,realizing she was officially mad now as the doctor replied,

"I'm sorry,we're not sure what happened.A nurse went to check on him and he was gone.We looked all over the hospital as well,but no sign of him."

Both fear and anger seemed to cloud Sakura's expression as she looked down for a second,then back up to Sombra and Bit.

"Well he's definatly not in the hospital then,so we'll have to find him ourselves!The Empire may have gotten him!"

"But Saku,we have no idea where to start looking..."

Bit started to argue,then getting a vicious glare from his sister before she spoke again,

"It does'nt matter!We have to find him!"

Bit sweatdropped as Sakura towered over him.

"Yes Ma'am."

He sort of squeaked,Sombra sweatdropping as well as Sakura nodded.

"All right,let's move out then!"

Bit and Sombra nodded,Sakura turning and heading out.

(\^_^/) (/_\) (\^_^/)

Needless to say I was'nt having the best of luck at the moment.I had by now managed to get away from the Hybrid creatures,but they had left their mark on me either way.Several marks really,mainly cuts and bruises and a broken wing,so I was forced to go forward on foot.

I at the present moment found myself at about the center of the dark city I guessed,breathing heavily as I leaned against one of the black-metal buildings.

"I think I lost 'em..."

I muttered to myself,then suddenly feeling a shadow cast itself over me from behind.I swallowed hard and turned around,seeing Ryota standing there.He looked even darker than usual,if that's possible,as he stepped toward me slowly and leisurely.

I backed up with each step he took,too tired,hurt and worn out to turn and break into a run like I wanted.Ryota just smirked at me and continued forward.

I then felt my back press against the cold,hard steel outer wall of a building,Ryota stopping in front of me as he loomed,eyes glowing a bit with certain anticipation.

"You're hurt..."

He said with a tone that sent chills up and down my spine several times over.

"Let me eliminate the pain for you right now!"

With those words,he brought his hand up toward my face,making me sure he'd slap me as I closed my eyes.

But...there was no pain.

I opened my eyes again curiously,looking up just a little to see that Ryota had his hand on my forehead in a gentle manner.I felt in a daze,like I would lose conciousness as I tried to move away,but could'nt.

I then felt something...like part of me was leaving me...it was wierd.What the heck was Ryota doing?It took me a minute,but I then realized it...

Ryota was taking my powers.

I could'nt let that happen.I knew that if Ryota had my powers,then it would be chaos for everyone.I knew I had to stop him,starting to struggle as best I could,but Ryota held me tight.It all seemed useless...

Then,suddenly,Ryota let out a yell of pain and jumped back from me,my body flooded with the feeling of my powers returning.I wondered what had happened to him until he stepped to the side a little,and there stood the familiar form of Sakura's Mother!She looked to me immediately and called out,

"Van,hurry and get out of here!You need to find the portal in this dreamworld that leads to conciousness!"

I nodded and started to turn,but then stopped,looking back to her and asking,

"But what about you?"

"Don't worry about me,I can handle Ryota.This dreamworld is partially yours,so you partially control it.As long as you believe I will be all right here,I will.Now go!"

She replied.I swallowed hard and nodded again,reluctantly turning and leaving as fast as my tired legs would carry me,adrenaline fueling it all as I did so,hoping to soon find this 'Portal to Conciousness'...

(\^_^/) (/_\) (\^_^/)

"He should be around here somewhere..."

Sakura was telling Sombra and Bit in the meantime as they found themselves combing the forest in the War Wolf and Shadow Fox.Bit would have taken the Liger Zero,but Sakura was afraid it's bright white color would attract unwanted attention,and so she had Bit sit in the back seat of the War Wolf.

Sombra looked to Sakura on the comlink and asked,

"How can you be sure of that,Sakura?All I see is trees,and nothing's coming up on my radar..."

Sakura looked around a little before making her reply,

"That crystal he wears...it gives off an unusual energy.I rigged the War Wolf's radars to pick up on that energy a couple of weeks back."

"Good thinking."

Bit commented,Sakura smirking inwardly as she kept an eye on her radar.She could now see something on it strong.

"He's close..."

She said,smiling as she brought the War Wolf forward,the Shadow Fox following suit.Before long,they had come up on a run-down old building in the middle of the dense woods.

"Looks like he's in there then."

Sombra noted,Sakura jumping down from the War Wolf's cockpit and going inside.Sombra and Bit followed her without hesitation.

The inside of the building was broken-down and dusty,the place looking like it had'nt been inhabited in years.Bit sneezed at all the dust and said,

"Man,if Van's here,he's died of sneezing by now...especially if he's got allergies..."

"I'm not so sure he is here...maybe the War Wolf was detecting something else."

Sombra added,running her finger over a table that had a literal inch of dust on it.Sakura grunted and looked to the floor.

"Maybe not,look at this...good thing all this dust is here.You can see some footprints and a broad line,where it looks like someone was dragged..."

Bit blinked at this,Sombra just nodding as she looked at these trails in the dust and said,

"You're right...so if we just follow this trail,we'll find Van then."

Sakura nodded,drawing her 357 Magnum and heading forward silently,Bit and Sombra following her like always.

It was'nt long later that the three found themselves descending a dark staircase,the old,dank smell of upstairs dissapating as they went down,the scent being replaced with what was similar to a hospital's.They all found it strange until they saw a light at the bottom of the staircase,where they soon exited and found themselves in some sort of laboraory.Sakura stood there in shock a moment,then growled and checked her Magnum to make sure it was loaded.

"Ryota...shoulda known...that guy never gives up..."

She muttered,then looking to Bit and Sombra.

"Bit,you take left.Sombra,you take right.I'll go down the middle."

The two nodded and headed their designated ways without hesitation,Sakura moving forward quickly and silently,never missing a lick as her aqua eyes searched the room like a hawk.

Then,she finally came up on something.She saw Ryota ahead,sitting in a chair at a computer terminal,looking as though he were asleep as he sat there with what appeared to be a virtual reality helmet on his head.

"Is he playing .Hack?"

She thought to herself as she moved in closer,observing the computer screen in front of Ryota.It was all written in zeroes and ones;Computer data code;except for what was written across the top of the screen as the program name:"Dreamscope"

Sakura was in a good bit of confusion right now,poking Kendo a little to see if he'd awaken,but he did'nt.He was out cold.She chuckled slightly at his reluctance to depart from slumber,then hearing a grunt and looking up to see where the sound had emitted from.She gasped.

There I laid up on a metal bed,not moving other than my breathing,as though in a deep sleep.Sakura swallowed hard and moved closer,taking notice to the fact that I was wearing a helmet similar to Ryota's.

"What is this?"

She asked no one imparticular,then narrowing her eyes and drawing out her mini-comm. unit.

"Bit,Sombra,do you read me?"

She said,then receiving the replies,

"Loud and clear,Saku."

"What's up,Sis?You find Van?"

Sakura nodded out of habit,mentally making note to stop nodding out of habit,as it was silly when no one could see it over an audio-only comm. unit.

"Yeah,I found him,but...well,it's wierd,and it's best if you come see for yourselves.Just follow my signal."

"Gotcha."

"On our way."

Sakura sighed and terminated her links with them for now,then making a link to the War Wolf as she took a connector cable and hooked it into Ryota's computer.

"War Wolf,scan the program called "Dreamscope" on this rig and tell me what it's about."

The War Wolf gave her a growl and started scanning the program,Sakura leaning against the wall and patting her foot as she hummed "Open Your Heart" to herself.It was'nt long before the War Wolf had the infoand started growling to her again,Sakura blinking in surprise just as Sombra and Bit showed up,both of them amazed and confused by what they saw.Sakura looked to them,shutting down the comm unit.

"Sakura,what is this?"

Sombra asked,the blonde in question then making her reply,

"It's a program called Dreamscope.Ryota's using it to sync his dreams with Van's,so he can enter Van's mind.I'm guessing he's trying to get into Van's mind to attempt taking his powers or at least figure them out."

"Well then,let's take that darn helmet thing off of Van and leave Ryota with it..."

Bit said,starting to pull my helmet off,but Sakura grabbed his wrists and stopped him.

"Don't do that while the program's running,you knucklehead!You wanna cause him severe brain damage?!"

Bit backed up,Sombra narrowing her eyes.

"Hey,he did'nt know.No reason to bite his head off..."

Sakura opened her mouth to make some snappy comeback,but then stopped and sighed.

"You're right,sorry.I'm just worried about Van,I guess..."

Sombra nodded and patted Sakura's shoulder.

"It's okay.That's understandable."

Bit smiled.

"Yeah,no biggie.But...then what do we do to help Van?"

Sakura ran a hand through her hair and scratched her head a little as she replied,

"One of us is gonna have to go in..."

Bit swallowed hard,not liking the sound of that.

"Um,go in where?"

He asked,Sakura looking to him and answering bluntly,

"Into their dream,to stop Ryota and get Van out the proper way with no risk of brain damage."

Bit shuddered,the thought scaring him of what might be in such a world as of dreams.

"So,which one of us is going in then?"

Sombra asked,Sakura tossing her the 357 Magnum.Sombra barely managed to catch it,scared to death she'd hit the trigger and nearly dropping it as Sakura took the only unused helmet.

"I'm going in.I know Van better than anyone,so I know somewhat what to expect in a dream that's partially his.You guys make sure nothing goes wrong while I'm out.Anything happens,call the War Wolf,he'll give you instructions."

"But Sakura!"

Bit protested,taking her wrists.

"It's gotta be dangerous in there,more dangerous than real life maybe."

"So?"

"So,I don't wanna end up losing you!I just got you back...and I don't wanna end up losing you again now Sis...and if I lose you like this,I won't be able to get you back...please..."

Sakura sighed,shaking her head a little.

"Sorry Bit,but this is just something I gotta do...Van means a lot to me,and I can't just sit back and let this happen.I have to help him...Van's the reason I'm still alive,that I did'nt kill myself or be killed a few times before...this is the least I can do for him."

Bit looked into her eyes a moment,like trying to figure out why she was going through with a crazy stunt like this.He then just smiled a little and let go of her wrists.

"Okay."

Sakura raised an eyebrow,Sombra blinking in surprise at how easily Bit had laid off as he said,

"Just be careful,Sis."

Sakura sweatdropped and asked,

"Okay,so...you're just letting me do this just like that?"

"Sure.It's obvious that you really love Van,and you're not gonna stop until he's out of there.That's just the way you are.You'll be okay."

Sakura blushed deeply when Bit talked about how she loved me,but she then just smiled,hugging bit and whispering,

"Thanks Bro."

Bit smiled and hugged her back softly.

"Anytime,Sis.Now go,Van needs ya."

Sakura nodded and slid from Bit's embracement,looking about until her aqua eyes rested on the mental bed next to mine.She did'nt hesitate to lay down on it,putting the helmet on.Bit and Sombra watched her worriedly as the helmet's effects started to take hold,and she started slipping into a deep sleep...

(\^_^/) (/_\) (\^_^/)

In the meantime,I had had no luck whatsoever finding this 'Portal to Conciousness'.I was starting to wonder if Sakura's Mother telling me that was all part of the dream or what.

I breathed heavily as I leaned against a black,steel building,saying a silent prayer before limping forward again,looking about and making sure Ryota was'nt close by.I did'nt see him anywhere,but it was like I could feel him watching me.The thought sent shivers up and down my body.

I swallowed my fear though,knowing it was imperative that I got out of here,and soon.Either that,or a whole lot of people were gonna suffer under Ryota's power.I forced myself to move forward.

Then,as I limped along,I suddenly stopped as I heard something...the faint sound of footsteps not too far off.I swallowed the lump forming in my throat and looked around for a place to hide,soon finding one behind some metal paneling and ducking there.

I peeked around the edge,watching carefully for the owner of the footsteps and anything that might be an enemy.Someone then came into view,but it was'nt Ryota or any of the Hybrid creatures...it was Sakura!

I started to call out her name immediately,but was suddenly stopped as a hand clamped over my mouth from behind,whoever it was using their free arm to restrain me from getting away.I struggled though,not about to give in now as I managed to bite down on my captor's hand,making him give a yell of pain and pull back their hand.

"Sakura!Over here!"

I yelled,Sakura then turning my way.She did'nt hesitate to head in,bringing her fist around in a powerful right hook punch and knocking out the enemy,who fell to the ground in a slump.Sakura looked to me.

"You okay,Van?"

She asked.I nodded slowly.

"Yeah,I'm okay,thanks...but how'd you get here Saku?"

"I'll explain later,but for now,let's get you to the portal.That's where I entered in at,so I know where it is."

"All right,let's get going then!"

Sakura nodded,taking my arm and putting it across her shoulders,helping me walk.I smiled.

"Thanks,Sakura.I owe you one."

Sakura smiled back and said,

"Don't mention it.Least I can do after all you did for me."

I just continued to smile and go along,too tired to really want to talk now as I did so.We continued on like this for what seemed to me like forever.All I wanted to do was crash in a nice soft bed and go to sleep...

"Not much farther now,Van."

Sakura told me,smiling in a reassuring manner.

"Just hold on a little longer."

With that,we rounded a corner that led to the edge of the city,and there stood the portal.I smiled and thanked the Lord we had finally made it as I looked at this portal.It was pretty much what you'd expect:sort of a large circle of soft blue light.But somehow...this felt all too easy...

"Come on."

Sakura prompted,helping me forward and toward the portal.It looked like we had made it,but then...

"Not so fast,Solo!"

We suddenly heard Ryota's voice boom out as he appeared out of nowhere,blocking our way to the portal.

"Flyheight belongs to me,just as you do daughter.So you can forget getting out of here."

Sakura growled,wanting to go in at him and just rip him apart I could tell,seeing the fire burning in her aqua eyes.

"You...I can't believe I was made from such sick genetics as yours..."

She told him in an enraged tone,Ryota simply laughing.

"Well,you were,luv.Now,just lay down and surrender to me..."

He seethed,moving closer in a strange way,as though floating across the ground.Sakura was'nt backing down though as she glared at him.If looks could kill,Ryota would have been dead about 10 times before he hit the ground,I'm positive.

"You want him,you'll have to go through me."

She warned.Ryota just laughed again as he continued to come closer,Sakura and I backing away slowly.It looked like we had had it for sure,but then...

"Leave them alone."

A familiar,female voice called out,Sakura's eyes widening when she heard it.We both looked up,Ryota turning to see Sakura's Mother standing there,glaring him down.I looked to Sakura,watching as tears welled up in her eyes.Even after all these years,she still recognized her Mother,I realized...

Ryota scoffed at Sakura's Mother and said,

"What do you plan to do about it,witless female?Try to hold me off like you did before to let Flyheight escape?"

"No..."

She replied coldly,holding out her hand as a crystalline,double-edged sword suddenly appeared in it,shining brightly in 7 prismatic colors.

"I plan to finish you here and now.You made a mistake coming here,where I can easily take you out."

I just watched in awe,trusting her with everything I had,remembering what she had said before about my belief in her in this world.

Ryota seemed to be getting scared now,his eyes darting about before he made a dash for the portal.But Sakura's Mother stopped him,pushing him back and going in at him quickly with her crystal blade.Ryota jumped back just in time to evade it,then drawing his own blade suddenly:A double-edged sword of which the blade was seemingly made of black light.

I felt Sakura start shivering as she hugged me close,watching all of this with wide eyes.Was it just me,or...was she...scared?Nah,I was imagining things.I had to be.Sakura never gets scared...does she?Well,either way,I continued to watch as well,Sakura's Mother narrowing her eyes and moving forward like a bullet,slicing Ryota's sword with her own before he could react.

"This is it..."

I thought,knowing what was coming as I automatically covered Sakura's eyes,her Mother making one final slash as Ryota for the finishing blow,slicing him deep in his neck.

I closed my own eyes,not wanting to see what I knew was there as I stood there with Sakura,Ryota's now lifeless body disappearing into a whisp of black smoke,almost as though he was never there.

When I heard nothing more going on,I finally opened my eyes again,looking up to see Sakura's Mother standing over us.I smiled softly and removed my hand from Sakura's eyes so she could see now.

"Mom..."

Was the first and only word that escaped her lips as she teared up,throwing herself on her Mother with a hug,never wanting to let go.I smiled as I watched this,just staying back as Sakura's Mother hugged her back gently and rocked her some.

"Ssshh,it's all right,sweetheart.Ryota's gone now...ssshhh..."

She told her daughter,Sakura sniffling and nodding,then looking up.

"Mom,I missed you so much..."

She whispered,her Mother sighing and whispering back,

"I never left you,Callista.I was always watching after you...always."

Sakura smiled slightly and continued to hug her Mother,who soon stood and looked to me.

"Van,take care of her,all right?"

Sakura looked up in surprise and said,

"Huh?But where are you going?You're not leaving me again,are you?I just got you back!"

"I never left you love,like I told you.I was always watching after you,you just never realized it.I never have and never will leave you,darling...I'll always be with you,whether you can see and hear me or not,all right?"

Sakura sniffled and just nodded slowly,her Mother looking back to me.

"Take care of her,please."

I nodded and said,

"With my life,you can count on it."

She smiled to me and started to fade,Sakura swallowing hard and yelling out,

"No,Mother,please don't leave me again!Please,stay with me!"

But in the next instand,she had completely disappeared,Sakura standing there a second more before falling to her knees,crying.I sighed and went to her,gently laying my hands on her shoulders.

"It's okay,Sakura.Like she said,she's still with you.Maybe not in body...but in spirit..."

She sniffled and looked up at me.I smiled warmly to her,gently wrapping my arms around her in a hug.

"She's still here Saku.She always has been.She'd never just leave you."

Sakura finally cracked a smile and whispered,

"Thanks Van."

I smiled back and nodded,helping her up.

"Come on,let's get out of here,okay?"

"Okay..."

Sakura sort of choked out,still crying a little.I patted her back softly and we started walking to the portal,finally making our way through and back to the real world...

(\^_^/) (/_\) (\^_^/)

End Chapter 19

(\^_^/) (/_\) (\^_^/)

Okay,first off,I'd like to apologize for the mega long time I took getting this chapter out.Blame school,Writer's Block and an obsession with Gamecube's Sonic games!>.<Oh,and also blame the length of this chapter...lol.It was my longest yet!I hope you like it!^_^

And now,to all my faithful reviewers...

To Airhead8324,

Saku:"Heh,a movie coming out of the Barney thing...lol.Barney,what an insult to us paleontologists as well as the Saurian race...anyway,hm,a happily ever after thing or Sakura dieing to try and protect Van...tough choice...hmm...nah,I got my own plans!"

Van,Sombra & Bit:"Uh-oh..."*sweatdrop*

Saku:"What?!"

Bit:"No offense,but...your ideas always get us into trouble..."

Saku:"Exactly!That's what makes a good fanfic!Character torture!"

Sombra:"Yeah!"

Bit & Van:*glare @ Sombra*

Sombra:*sweatdrop*"Um,I mean...no!Character torture bad!Bad Saku!"*Fwaps Saku with a Japanese fan*

Saku:"OW!!!*mumbles profanities and things about her own charaters revolting,then remembering Sombra is Shadowwolf5's character*"Well,anyway,glad you liked it Airhead!I hope you liked this chapter too!"

To Ancient Zoidian,

Saku:"Thanks for reviewing!It's okay you did'nt review last chapter,I understand.No problem.Yeah,Bit being her brother was a little obvious I guess,but at least I managed to make a surprise and twist with Ryota!Okay,so...he's kinda dead now,but that just means I can bring in a new and more evil enemy!"

Van:"Like who,pray tell?"

Saku:"Umm..."*ponders*"Erm,if I told you,it would'nt be surprising and twisty,would it?"

Van,Sombra & Bit:*sweatdrop*

Saku:"Right...well,thanks again,Ancient Zoidian!Hope you like this chapter too!"

To Final Genesis,

Saku:"Glad you like!Oh,Raven's gonna cause trouble all right."*snicker*"But not ALL of the trouble,otherwise it would get predictable and boring..."

Bit:"Like that'd ever happen with you...you're totally unpredictable,and it scares me!"

Saku:"I know,don't you love it?"*ebil grin*

Van:"Sombra,cal

End of Chapter Nineteen


Van and the Mercenary by Sakura


Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim.html


Discuss books at  Blogging about Books http://www.seltzerbooks.com/blog/
Other book reviews by Richard Seltzer
Opus authors -- contemporary writers whose entire work is great
The Readers' Corner and Writers Showcase


This site is published by Samizdat Express, 213 Deerfield Lane, West Roxbury, MA 02132-002. (203) 553-9925 seltzer@seltzerbooks.com

Book collections on CD and DVD. A library for the price of a book.
Limited time offer: 2 for the price of 1
 

Return to Samizdat Express

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.com