Fox Hunt

By dave-d
 

Chapter 5



Summary: What is going on? Why do all the girls that Naruto knows want him to father their children? Answer: Kitsune.

 (Tim Seltzer, seltzer@seltzerbooks.com)



Disclaimer: No own, no mula, no sue. 

The rolling hills just beyond the edge of the thicket looked sunny and inviting.

In actuality, they provided little cover. And, any opponent with the ability to take on the appearance of inanimate objects would have no problem setting up an ambush.

Naruto tried to stifle a yawn as he looked out from his place of concealment. He failed. No one hat gotten any sleep last night. But, it was not for the reason he would have expected. Kuko had been too worried about herself to try and make any play on him.

“Do you catch scent of anyone?” he asked Kuko. “I presume that they maintain their usual odor, even when they take shape.”

“N-N-Not yet….” Kuko trembled, leaning up against him. “But, if they are nearby, they will have certainly caught scent of me.”

Hinata yawned too, then blushed when Naruto caught her doing so. She smiled, thinking about the time spent dancing with Naruto. Fortunately, they had been able to finish those moments together before everything turned upside down.

Stretching, then finding a more comfortable place to lay in cover, she thought back to the drastic turn of events:

Tenko had barked out a warning, after taking her natural form. All of the other kitsune had immediately ceased their revelry and taken fox form as well. Kuko had shocked Naruto by running and jumping, landing in his arms. She had buried her fox face under Naruto’s arm.

Looking very shaken, the Celestial fox had resumed human form for a few moments, after sending the others on their way.

“You will need to break camp and move immediately,” Tenko had said, her eyes wild and her fingers twitching. “Something unexpected has occurred, and we do not want to run afoul of it.” She listened a moment, as the other kitsune called out reports. “Having so many kitsune in heat at one spot for so long would not usually be an issue. But, there are males in the area. Rogue males. Kuko will explain when she is able. Take her and move as quickly as you can.”

“But… wouldn’t she be safer with the family… we could head to the temple after the danger is past….” Naruto tried to reason things out but didn’t know enough details.

“Yes, she would,” the Prime kitsune answered. “The group of us should be able to protect ourselves. But…… if Kuko stayed with us, her urges might subside before you can reach your destination. Your deal would then expire, with neither finding what they want.” Tenko barked out some orders to the lesser kitsune.

“Most of the rogues should follow our group. But, if they happen on your trail, they will not cease in their efforts to reach Koku until she leaves her current state." With that, Tenko had vanished.

Kuko resumed human form. She had to fight hard to speak without a stutter. Not waiting for Naruto and Hinata, she took off running.

“Well, I don’t see what’s so bad about men of your own kind,” Naruto had said, keeping pace. “Sure, they don’t have the …… you know…… but you would have a chance for that child you want.”

“N-N-No.” Kuko replied. “They are looking to mate, but not be mates. The whole group would use me until they are sated.” She took fox form again, but maintained the ability to speak. “Not only are rogues outside of the temple, they are also outcasts from the lower ranks of our my kind.” The fox picked up speed. “If I were to have a child by a rogue male, I would lose all my status and forfeit all but one tail.”

“Why?” Hinata had asked.

“We are myobu. When we mate with our own kind, it must be with males from Inari’s temple. There is courtship involved, not to mention other annoying traditions. Boring... but, if we want kitsune children, not human babes….the only other way…” She almost mentioned something more, but held her tongue.

“Hmmmm. It would probably keep you from chasing after me any more,” Naruto said, feeling a bit dirty even thinking that.

“Naruto-kun!” Hinata shook her head.

“Th-Th-Thank you, little sister.” Kuko said. “We should do as Tenko said. We need to keep moving.” She sounded frantic. “You need to protect me!”

“Really?” Naruto said. “Maybe we should discuss that.” All three raced through the tree tops, dashing along at an impressive speed. “Hinata take the point. If you sense anything at all, signal us to stop, then use Byakugan.”

“Hai!” Hinata had moved some distance ahead of the other two.

Fortunately, she had not discovered any trace of an enemy during their flight.

She looked over at Kuko and Naruto when she was finished recalling the events of the previous evening. They had all run hard and long, keeping ahead of anything that might be on their trail. Naruto had relayed the remainder of hisconversation to her when they later came to a stop.

As it turned out, Naruto was also running things through his mind that morning, taking a moment to make certain that he hadn’t left Kuko any serious loopholes to play with:

“Why should I interfere in the natural order of things?” Naruto had asked, jumping only to those branches that showed in the moonlight. “You’re chasing after me. They’re chasing after you. To the winner goes the spoils.”

“The t-t-temple,” Kuko said. “I will have no need for you, if they get me with pups. And without me, you will never find the temple.” There was a catch in her voice. She was frightened.

“Maybe we can change our deal some,” Naruto said, trying to be crafty. “Maybe it would be worth your while to take us to the temple, just to keep the males from getting their rogue paws on you.” He thumbed his nose. “There are other ways to find out about Akatsuki….”

Kuko faltered. She missed a step and would have fallen, had Naruto not grabbed her arm.

“That’s…… that’s……” For one usually so glib, the kitsune couldn’t get her words out. “You promised…… no you didn’t…… you didn’t promise to go to me with the temple…” She almost missed a leap again. “You only swore to do what must be done if you got there, and found something that helped you.”

“Yes.” Naruto felt triumphant. He could still get what he needed, without any obligations. While it all felt somewhat underhanded, he had never asked to be put in this situation. “I’m asking you to release me from that vow, and then to have us both make a new one.”

He almost faltered himself, looking at things from a different perspective. What if it were Hinata, Sakura, or any of the other girls who were in Kuko’s situation?

No.

He was a shinobi of the Leaf. He needed to complete the mission. He also needed to look out for his own life. While the kitsune was not quite an enemy, she was also not quite a friend.

“I…… I will do as I must….” Kuko said, sounding trapped. “I begin to see what it feels like from your position….” Taking human form again, she tried to use tears and other tricks to change Naruto’s mind, to no avail.

The fox woman promised to take Naruto to the temple in exchange for protection from the male kitsune. She would accompany him inside, to make certain that none of the inhabitants caused him or Hinata any harm. When they were all through there, she would lead them safely back to familiar ground. He did not have to promise to make love to her.

After giving her oath, she didn’t speak again until after sunrise.

His thoughts returning to the current situation, Naruto began to check the inventory of his weapons pouch.

“They will find you by scent,” he heard Hinata say to Kuko. “We know that much. But, when they give chase, will it still be based on that, or on what they can see?”

“I hope they do not find me!” Koku said. “But, if they give chase, their eyes will guide them when the speed is too fast to use their sense of smell. Otherwise, they will follow my spoor, ready for any trick that I might try.”

She leaned heavy against Naruto. “Normally, I could probably best two or three of their kind in a fight. But, I will put up no resistance when they get close enough, because of centuries old instincts.”

“What do you mean?” Hinata asked, wrapping a number of explosive kunai.

“In the temples, the males are forbidden to approach us when we are in heat, unless a mating has been formally agreed to. The reason is simple. When a male of our kind approaches us in such a situation, we submit if touched. It is a subconscious prerogative.” The kitsune grinned a wicked grin. “Aren’t things reversed with your kind, little sister. When you corner the one you want, won’t he give in to you?”

Momentarily flustered, the white-eyed girl incorrectly primed one seal. She flung the kunei far from her, moments before it exploded.

“S-S-Sorry, Naruto-kun….”

“Hinata! If there are any rogues nearby, that will have given away our location. Shit.” Wise enough in the way of women to at least know who to blame, he glared at Koku, who just shrugged.

“The fear. It’s overwhelmed my usual thoughtful behavior,” the kitsune said.

Naruto spat. Then he clenched his fists. “Ha! Even if they have caught wind of us, I doubt they know what to expect from Uzumaki Naruto!” Naruto stood and struck a pose. “And Hyuuga Hinata,” he added, realizing how much of a braggart he must sound like.

“You’re so-o-o-o-o-o-o brave,” Kuko said, standing up herself, giving Naruto a peck on the cheek. “Keep this up, and I might even let you sleep with me.” She was still upset after the blonde-haired ninja had used her situation to extract a new deal from her; but, her urges hadn’t subsided yet, and she found herself attracted to him for other reasons as well.

“Uhhh…” Naruto just sighed and shook his head. He had remembered to make Kuko promise not to use her powers against him and Hinata, but she was a damsel in distress now, and that carried its own emotional attraction. “Ehem….. yes…… I think we should follow Hinata’s line of thought.”

Kuko smiled, and then ran her hands all over Naruto. She wanted to ask ‘which one’, but had promised not to tell Naruto how Hinata felt. At least, not outright.

It had her chuckling.

How could the boy be so clueless?

“Kuko…… stop it!” Naruto said. “You’re setting a bad example for Hinata!”

“Good,” Kuko said. Despite her flirtations, she trembled some. She was obviously very worried. “It’s free of charge. We don’t need to change the deal for that.” The wink she gave Hinata had the smaller woman blushing. “Right, little sister?”

“It’s not a good time to distract us,” Naruto said, trying to sound stern.

“Oh…… so there are good times?” Kuko bumped up against Naruto, and then made it a point to walk away from him, swiveling her hips.

Naruto looked flustered. Hinata took careful note of that fact. Important matters on her mind, she spoke up.

“Naruto-kun, you could make a large number of shadow clones, and have them all transform into the shape of Kuko in her fox form.” She rubbed her fingers together for a moment. “M-M-Maybe…… ummm…… maybe if they rubbed against her for a moment or two, they could pick up some scent.”

Kuko smiled. After sniffing the air again, to make certain their was no scent of male kitsune, she walked over to Naruto. Before anyone could blink twice, she was standing there naked. “Maybe we should test that, before things get busy….” She began rubbing up against him.

“Stop that!” Naruto pushed her away. He then gave Hinata a look that clearly said ‘Now look what you’ve done’.

“Or, we could try something else, since your clones only last so long.” Saying that, Kuko gave Hinata a smarmy look. “Little sister could wear my clothing for a while, then take on my form if they discover us. She could lead them on a merry chase, while we got away.” She laughed. “You find the temple. She finds lov-v-v-e.”

Hinata froze. Naruto just groaned. The kitsune’s mischievous attitude was now back with a vengeance.

Thinking for a moment, Naruto spoke up, a particular point in mind.

“Uh huh. Thank you for your helpful suggestion. It brings to mind an important fact.” He folded his arms over his chest. “I will protect you as long as Hinata is safe. If you are both in danger, I will protect her first.”

Kuko’s smile quickly vanished. “But I was just….”

”Fine. But I am not joking. She is my fellow shinobi, and my friend. You are a trickster who came trying to get something from me. I don’t suggest you place us in any situation that makes me choose between the two of you.” He furrowed his brows. “You would lose.”

Hinata blushed. But, she stood up straighter and spoke.

“Th-Thank you, Naruto-kun.” She took a deep breath. “But, you are wrong.”

“What?” Naruto looked incredulous.

“Your first duty…… our first duty…… is to the mission…… and our village….” Hinata twiddled her fingers together, wishing she could outgrow that childish habit. “If there is important information at the temple, then you must reach that temple.” She hesitated, but continued. “I…… I will protect myself….”

“Little sister,” Koku said, looking at Hinata in a new light. But, her gratitude only went so far. Hinata was acting as shinobi. She herself would be acting as kitsune.

“OK, Hinata.” Naruto rubbed his neck, staring at his fellow ninja. “You really are someone I could like.” He wondered why she blushed like she did. “But, we will not be using you as a diversion. We go as a group…… or we don’t go at all….” He looked at Kuko. “Got me?”

“Y-Y-Yes….” The kitsune nodded.

“And you, Hinata?” Naruto shook a finger at her. “No heroics. I can protect myself!”

Hinata nodded.

“If we are going to do things as a group,” Kuko started. “When you do finally succumb to my charms, does that mean you will be making pups with little sister, too?” She made it a point to stand right in front of Naruto, then bend over. From that position she continued. “That might be fun. And, when the children all grow up, they’ll have pets.”

Hinata froze. Naruto just sighed.

“Though…” Kuko stretched, and then yawned. “I don’t know if human children make the best pets.”

“Is it really worth it, Hinata?” Naruto asked. “Looking for the information, I mean….”

“I hope so….” Hinata answered quietly.

“Hmmmmm….” Kuko walked over and plucked a flower out of the ground. She began pulling off the petals, throwing them on Naruto. “If you prove a good lay, I might be willing to do something else that helps your village.”

“Should I even bother to ask?” Naruto said, looking at Hinata. Both of them were blushing at the way the fox woman had phrased things.

Hinata shook her head.

“I’ll tell you anyway,” Kuko said. “You gave back my star ball before our mission was complete. You are protecting me from the rogues. Later, you will give me my pups.” She grinned. “I could make it so some of our children were human… in a subsequent mating, of course…”

“Uh huh. And I should want to have children with you because….” Naruto knew that she would tell him anyway.

“You’re special, in a very unique way….” Kuko said, not intending to say how. “But, you lack something that some humans have, as I understand it.” She looked over at Hinata and smiled. “Blood Limit.”

Naruto tensed up.

“One or all of our human children could have special abilities that breed true.” Kuko licked her lips. “And, if you chose to mate with other members of my family, who knows what powers might develop.” She tossed her hair in coquettish fashion. “Just thinking out loud.” She grinned, seeing Naruto’s eyes go wide. “The Uzumaki clan…… sort of has a nice ring to it….”

Naruto began coughing.

“We could hire little sister to be our cook. Or nanny.” Kuko snuggled up against Naruto. “Ahhhhhh. Imagine it. Wedded bliss….”

Hinata went cross-eyed for a brief instant.

“Granny Tsuande was right,” Naruto said, trying to move away from Kuko. “Kitsune are notorious for seeing a weakness in someone, then aggravating that weakness, or exploiting it.”

“Really?” Kuko asked, looked squarely at Hinata. Winking, she leaned over and wrapped her arms around Naruto, giving him a long kiss even as he tried to pry her off. “N-i-i-i-i-c-e. Good thing that you don’t have a girlfriend who could be jealous of that kind of thing.”

Hinata bit her lip. Kuko clearly knew her weakness.

“Yeh, right!” Naruto snorted. “Until you started trying to jump me for uhhh…… your reasons…… nobody ever paid me much attention. At least, no one has ever made it a point to chase after me before.” He shook his head. He thought back to the way that Sakura used to hang all over Sasuke, or the way that Ten Ten always seemed to be at Neji’s side nowadays.

Kuko began laughing, looking over at Hinata.

“Oh, so that’s funny, is it?” Naruto looked cross. “At least Hinata’s not laughing at me.”

Hinata swallowed hard. She opened her mouth, but closed it soon after.

“I’m not laughing at you,” Kuko said, her eyes alit with mirth. “Human women are funny. Unlike we kitsune, some of them see something they want more than anything else, but never make any effort to get it.” She sniffed the air again, then resumed. “Which way do you really think is worse?” She gave Hinata a pointed look. “I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some girl who likes you, but hasn’t told you yet.”

“Uh huh. Sure. But who knows,” Naruto said. “Not too long ago, I thought that kitsune were only myths.”

“Ummm…… my mother told tales of kitsune….” Hinata spoke up, her voice sounding shriller than she liked. The conversation was not going in a way that she favored. “But, there was never any mention of male fox people……” Calming herself down, she spoke slower. “Just what could we be up against?”

Kuko’s cheerful expression evaporated. “It depends on why the males are rogue. If they are lower caste, then their skills will be mostly that of illusion. Individually, you should be able to resist their power of suggestion…… but if they have managed to work together in coordinated fashion, you could have some trouble….”

Naruto rubbed his chin. Looking over at Hinata, he nodded his head. It was an apt question. The girl might be quiet, but she had a good head on her shoulders.

“If they are higher caste, driven out because of some crime or an ill-advised move against the hierarchy, they could be more dangerous. Elemental powers, akin to the jutsu you human shinobi use, would not be out of the question.” Kuko shivered for a moment. Her attempts to distract herself were no longer working.

“We probably have a good chance against them, as long as we keep our head, and work together.” Naruto grinned when Hinata shyly gave him thumbs up. “Are there any males who could be worse than that?”

Kuko nodded. “Some outcasts…… both male and female…… include those kitsune discovered to have trained in the discipline of mikkyo.” Her eyes looked troubled, speaking about that possibility.

“Mikkyo?” Hinata asked.

“Yes,” the kisune answered, needing to clear her throat. “Secret teachings. A blend of various philosophies, physical doctrines, meditation techniques, and prohibited religious rituals.” She reached out and grabbed the fabric of Naruto’s sleeve. “Even a single such adept could conceivably work illusions that you could never see through without my help. Sight, sound, touch, taste, feel…… it would all seem real to you….”

“But there’s worse….” Naruto asked, correctly interpreting the look on Koku’s face.

The kitsune nodded. “Un… Un… Unfortunately….” She coughed, then spoke more clearly. “They can command forest creatures to do their bidding, either as scouts, spies, or a means to attack or delay.” She shivered again. “They also have the ability to drain vitality from those they touch. That’s why some legends about my people speak of vampirism.”

Hinata stiffened. She made use of her Byakugan.

“Birds, Naruto-kun.” She spoke quietly. “In the small clearing we passed through behind us.” She stood silently for a moment. “Something put them to wing, but I do not sense a large enemy.”

“We should get ready to run if we can, or fight if we must.” Naruto ran his hand through his hair. He might not have passed the chuunin exam yet, but there was no doubt who was leading this mission. Sometimes, names and ranks are merely a formality. “I take it these mikkyo kitsune have no reason to be this close to human habitations?”

Kuko didn’t answer right away.

“Kuko?” Naruto asked.

“You said my name….” The kitsune purred, then leaned against Naruto. But, she was still shivering. “The last time I was at Inari’s temple…… I heard something…… but I didn’t pay much attention.” She shook out her hair, causing Naruto to pull some out of his mouth. “Rumor had it, that some mikkyo rogues were gathering up lesser outcasts, trying to form their own temple villages.”

“Near humans?” Hinata asked.

Kuko nodded. “They don’t like to be farmers or manufacturers. Disguised as humans, they tend to be traders. But, thievery, exploitation, and extortion are not out of the question. While they wouldn’t attack larger villages, small homesteads or enclaves might prove to be temptations.”

Naruto and Hinata looked at one another. That was information that the Hokage should hear, just in case strange happenings were reported in the future.

“Well then, let’s hope our luck holds out!” Naruto actually relished the idea of a challenge. “Hinata…… anything more?”

“No, Naruto-kun. Not yet.”

“So, let me think.” Naruto frowned for a moment, his brows furrowed. He wished that Shikamaru was with them at the moment. “When we move out, Hinata and I will flank Kuko, keeping her between us at all times. That should work best.” He twitched a moment. Looking over at Hinata, he narrowed his eyes.

“Wh-Wh-What is it, Naruto-kun?” Hinata noticed his glance.

“Kuko. Female kitsune sometimes seduce young men,” Naruto had stumbled upon a train of thought that needed to be explored. “Do male kitsune ever prey on young women? Human women….”

Kuko chewed on her nails for a few moments.

“KUKO!” Naruto began to feel on edge. He wasn’t certain whether or not an enemy was approaching, but he had learned to trust this kind of feeling.

“Yes. It is usually through seduction. Unlike we female kitsune, whose mates usually have a wonderful experience….” She ran her hand over Naruto’s cheeks. “The woman who lay with male kistune usually end up suffering some kind of terrible pain.”

Hinata swallowed hard, then fought to maintain her stoic appearance.

Naruto remained silent, knowing there was more. Kuko was wringing her hands.

“If…… if males were sufficiently excited…… and were denied a female kitsune they scented….. it’s possible they could….” The kitsune looked over at Hinata.

“Shit!” Naruto rammed a kunai into a tree. “That’s just great. I’m glad you thought to mention that without being asked.” His sarcasm had Kuko cringing for a moment. “OK. Hinata up front. Kuko in the middle. I bring up the rear.”

Naruto cursed under his breath. Just when the new oath made it seem like things were going his way, things had to take an unexpected turn. He had been worried most about the temple and its denizens. It had been difficult dealing with Kuko’s advances.

Now, he had to worry about Hinata’s virtue as well.

It was possible that there were no male kitsune on their trail any more. They may have all gone after the scent of the family. And, if there were kitsune after him and the girls, they were most likely no account male rogues.

But, as was often the case in his profession, there was a great deal of uncertainty to deal with.

“I should have just stayed home and locked myself away in a vault for a while,” Naruto said in a sour tone of voice.

“Good idea!” Kuko managed a bit of her usual spark. “That way, there would have been no way for anyone to interrupt us.” She tried for a quick kiss, but Naruto pulled a prickly bush over his face. That had the kitsune cursing.

Naruto looked over at Hinata.

“It’s her nature, Naruto-kun.” The white-eyed ninja did not look too pleased herself.

“Little sister is clever, isn’t she?” Kuko chuckled. “When I’m gone….” She pushed the vegetation aside and managed to nip Naruto’s ear. “If I ever decide to leave you….” Trying again, she had to spit out a mouthful of leaves. “She might make a good….”

The kitsune left things hanging there. Hinata busied herself by checking the tools of her trade again, keeping her face turned away from Naruto.

Naruto thought a moment, and then worked Kage Bunshin. He then gave his shadow clones their instructions.

“You guys go out in all directions. Do not return unless you find something. And if you do make a discovery, make certain you do not lead anyone back to us.”

When the clones had left, he spoke to the two girls.

“We could wait here all day I guess, but that won’t serve any of our purposes. Tenko said that Kuko’s….. uhhh…… urges might decline to the point that we would have done all this for nothing.”

“Mmmmm Hmmmm….” Kuko licked her lips. “I’d hate for them to go to waste….”

“I’m ready when you are, Naruto-kun.” Hinata said, speaking about their mission.

“Should I write that down for him?” Kuko said, winking at Hinata. “Men have terrible memories, you know….”

Hinata froze. Finding her tongue, she said “I meant….”

Kuko suddenly went stiff herself. She changed into her fox form, and started moving nervously in one direction, then the next.

“Kon Kon!” A call came from the forest behind them.

Kon Kon Kon!” That second call came from a position further to the east, but closer.

KON…… KON…… KON…… KONKONKONKON-N-N-N-N...” The third call came from the west, closer still.

“What the hell is that?” Naruto asked. Kuko’s ears folded back against her fox head.

Hinata used her Blood Limit talents without locating anything.

“M-M-Males…” Kuko stammered. “Mikkyo….”

“Of course,” Naruto said before spitting. “Just our luck…”


Fox Hunt This fanfic is complete.
 

Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim.html


Discuss books at  Blogging about Books http://www.seltzerbooks.com/blog/
Other book reviews by Richard Seltzer
Opus authors -- contemporary writers whose entire work is great
The Readers' Corner and Writers Showcase


This site is published by Samizdat Express, 213 Deerfield Lane, West Roxbury, MA 02132-002. (203) 553-9925 seltzer@seltzerbooks.com

Book collections on CD and DVD. A library for the price of a book.
Limited time offer: 2 for the price of 1
 

Return to Samizdat Express

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.com