Author    About Us

Buffy the Youkai Slayer

By Sharibet, sharibet@netscape.net

Chapter 18: Sacrifice



A great combination of InuYasha and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the two demonic shows we thought couldn't mix. (Tim Seltzer, seltzer@seltzerbooks.com)


Disclaimer: Don't own the shows, don't plan on trying to, none use this fic without permission.

Author's Notes: This is an edited and corrected version of the story originally posted to Fanfiction.net January - March, 2004. The content is still essentially the same as the first version, but I fixed some consistency glitches, typos, and Japanese usage errors.

This story takes place after the second Inuyasha film, "Castle Beyond the Looking Glass," (after Episode 74 in the series), and after the Buffy series finale. Contains spoilers for events that happen in all seasons of Buffy, through the beginning of the final season of Angel, Inuyasha episodes 1-74, and the second Inuyasha film.


Naraku's Castle, late 16th-century Japan

Locked in? Now what do we do? thought Buffy. After a second of consideration, she turned off her flashlight, to save what remained of the battery.

Kirara's flames provided plenty of illumination, now that they weren't fighting.

The firecat stalked over to the base of the ladder, and stood there for a long moment, looking up at the trapdoor fifteen feet above, and growling softly Then the giant firecat crouched and leapt upwards, forepaws extended.

With a loud bang and the sound of cracking stone, the trapdoor flew off its hinges.

Sango slung Hirakotsu over her shoulder, and ran for the ladder. "Come on, Buffy-chan! We have to hurry!"

Buffy was close on Sango's heels as they climbed the ladder out of the cellar. "Maybe we should go get Inuyasha and the others."

Sango paused in her ascent, and looked down at Buffy, her gaze wide-eyed, almost panicked above the metalwork of her mask. "No time," she said, tersely. "He'll get away."


How had he permitted this to happen? Naraku raged as he dragged his crippled body along a corridor leading away from entrance to the cellars.

He had underestimated those two little human girls, and badly. When he had finally recognized his danger, they had already injured him, and were enthusiastically carving him to bits. He had tried what defense he could quickly summon, but the youkai-taijya were tougher--and stronger--than they looked.

And Naraku's speciality was crafting servants to carry out his work. Not in fighting enemies himself.

Losing mass and mobility faster than he could regenerate from the raw materials in his cellar, he chose to retreat, galling as it was.

All he needed was a little time to regroup, and he would fashion an avatar that would destroy those two humans--and their allies-- in an instant.

In the meanwhile, he was having a difficult time quelling an incipient rebellion among the youkai that formed his body. They were interpreting his strategic withdrawal as retreating in defeat, and long-suppressed resentments were boiling up in his various parts. Some of the absorbed youkai were actually trying to detach on their own, and abandon him.

That was unacceptable.

Naraku stopped in his flight and turned into one of the side-chambers. Concentrating, he exerted his will, beating down the disloyal elements, stripping them of their remaining strength and will. He regretted losing their cunning and skills, but if they could not be trusted, henceforce, they would serve only to feed or repair his loyal components.

The part of him that had once been Arashthoth the Gatekeeper was still howling for the Portal Key borne by the foreign girl, but Naraku quelled his demanding voice. One key to unlock the gates separating the worlds was sufficient. He did not want a second key badly enough to sacrifice his dominion to the oddball alliance of youkai, hanyou, and humans that hunted him.

Somewhat sulkily, his remaining youkai settled themselves, and began the task of healing the damage Naraku had endured in that preposterous attack. Satisfied that all was in order for now, he resumed his human guise, and prepared to leave the chamber.

Only to find his way blocked by the taijya girls and the youkai firecat.

He tried to sweep them out of the way with a long pseudopod, but Sango was faster, and Naraku felt the burning pain of her bone blade slicing through his flesh.

Damn. He would have to distract them, somehow.

And he knew just the way to do it.

Naraku sent out a silent summons to the boy, and with admirable speed, the young taijya appeared in the corridor behind the two girls. He must have been lurking nearby, attracted by the invaders' commotion.

The firecat sensed him first, and her plaintive meow distracted Sango. Naraku saw her turn away from the doorway.

Sango gasped when she saw the boy, which was just as Naraku had intended.

But he was displeased to see that the boy also stopped when he saw her, though Naraku was certain that the boy did not, could not remember her. Naraku had been careful to bury those memories so deeply that they could never be recovered.

He saw Sango's attention focus fully on the boy. She relaxed her grip on her weapon.

Foolish, weak human heart! Naraku gloated.

He activated a compulsion through the Shikon shard embedded in the boy's back. Kill them!


"Who's that? Is he one of Naraku's detachments?" asked Buffy, reluctantly dividing her attention between Naraku and the newcomer.

The kid standing behind them looked about twelve years old, and he was wearing the same kind of leather armor as Sango, reinforced with youkai-bone plates at shoulders, elbows, and knees.

He was holding a weapon that looked like a sickle, with a long chain attached to the handle, but his posture wasn't threatening. He actually looked kind of harmless, compared to the other things Naraku had sent against them. But he wasn't wearing a mask, and the deadly miasma filling the air in this part of the castle didn't seem to affect him.

As a precaution, Buffy hefted the now-dulled naginata.

"No." Sango had drawn her sword, and Buffy noticed that her friend's hands were shaking, badly. "That is my brother. Kohaku."

Oh, man, Buffy thought, with a pang of sympathy. What else did Naraku have in store for them?

"Thought your brother was dead." He didn't look like a zombie, but there was something subtly wrong about him.

Sango gave a single nod, her gaze never leaving Kohaku. The boy was staring uncertainly at her, frowning a little.

"Naraku reanimated him with a shard of the Shikon-no-Tama. Then stole his memories." The utter desolation in Sango's tone made her words sound flat, unemotional.

"I--I think I remem--" the kid began to say.

All of a sudden, his expression went eerily blank, as if someone had flipped a switch and turned him off.

Without warning, he swung the sickle at the end of its chain, and aimed for his sister's legs.

She managed to avoid the blade itself, but the chain wrapped itself around her knees, toppling her to the floor. She turned aside his next blow with a frantic sweep of her sheathed katana, and the half-moon blade of the sickle bit deep into the floorboards next to her face.

Buffy moved to join the fight, but she noticed that Naraku was taking advantage of the diversion, and gathering a thick cloud of miasma around him. Without thinking, she grabbed Hiraikotsu from where it had fallen after Kohaku's initial attack.

She swung it up and over her shoulder in a smooth arc, just like she'd practiced it with Sango, then released it. The heavy boomerang left her hand, and flew unerringly toward Naraku.

She heard its heavy impact, and several limbs flew out of the dark cloud that surrounded him. They lay, writhing, on the bare floorboards.

"Kohaku! Delay them!" Naraku commanded, and once again, a great wind began to rush through the chamber. The sliding door that led outside to the courtyard splintered outward.

Buffy reached out and caught Sango's boomerang as it returned, but before she could swing it around for another shot, Naraku levitated, and whooshed out of the castle in a whirlwind of poisonous fumes and oversized bees.

Oh, shit. Buffy ran after him, but Naraku was already just a small, dark cloud moving rapidly through the sky.

"Shit!" she screamed at the sky.

I can't believe I let him escape!

Then, because she didn't know what else to do, she went back inside to help Sango fight her kid brother.

Sango was faring badly. It was hard to cry and fight at the same time, Buffy thought, and Sango was furthered hampered by the fact that she was trying to avoid seriously injuring Kohaku, while he was going full-out on her.

Buffy shook off her sick sense of failure and ran forward. Second-rate youkai-taijya or not, she was still the Slayer. There had to be someone in this world whose ass she could kick!

His attention was focused completely on Sango as they circled one another, him swiping viciously at her with his sickle, and she parrying his blows with her katana--still in its sheath. The smooth lacquered wood was already badly cracked and scarred.

Buffy disarmed Kohaku by the simple ploy of sneaking up behind him, and yanking his weapon from his hand. She tossed it as far down the corridor as she could.

He turned on her in a flurry of fists and feet like a miniature Bruce Lee.

Uneasy at beating up a kid, Buffy went easy on him at first, but he was ferociously strong and fast. And she was injured, the wound in her leg burning as she dodged and kicked at him.

From the corner of her eye, Buffy saw Sango draw her blade from its scabbard at last, and knew that her friend had decided her brother must die. Above her mask, Sango's eyes were still shining with tears, but her gaze had gone cold, determined.

"Sango, no!" Buffy shouted, thinking, I can't let you do it. I don't want you to have his blood on your hands--or your conscience.

"I have to," Sango said, so softly that Buffy barely heard her.

At her words, Kohaku took his eyes off Buffy for one fatal second.

She spun on her heel and lashed out at his chin with her other foot, not holding back this time. The kick snapped back his head, and sent him flying through the opening that Naraku had made.

She heard a heavy thump, and ran after him. He was curled around the base of one of the pillars outside, unconscious.

A loud snarl--stronger and deeper than Kirara's--caught Buffy's attention. She looked up, and saw Kouga, still in his huge black wolf form, lunge forward and snap at Kagura, who was looking distinctly tattered and bloody at this point.

The demoness jumped out of the way. Barely. Kouga tore off the sleeve of her kimono with his teeth, and Buffy saw him tense for another leap.

Kagura pulled something out of her hair, and in the next instant, she had jumped aboard a giant white flying carpet thing, and was wafting up, out of reach of the enraged wolf.

Kouga jumped high, higher than Buffy would have thought possible, but he still missed Kagura's escape pod by several feet.

Buffy heard her laughing as the wind lifted her higher and higher into the sky.


When Kagura saw Naraku's dark cloud spiral up to the sky, rage at his abandonment gave her exhausted limbs new strength. He was fleeing, leaving her behind to serve as the wolf-prince's dinner!

Oh, no. I won't be your sacrifice! she thought.

Another near-miss from the wolf's jaws, and she was able to whip the magic feather from her hair, finally making her escape on a hastily-conjured updraft.

She was alive. But pain ruled her world--in addition to the damage inflicted by the miko's purifying arrow, she had lost several large chunks of flesh to the wolf's hungry jaws.

Kagura derived some satisfaction from knowing that she had injured him as well, though not enough to penetrate his rage and slow him down.

Higher, higher. Almost free of the castle.

Then, she looked down, and saw Kohaku, sprawled unconscious in the ruins. She huffed in exasperation--returning would be dangerous, but unlike Naraku, she wouldn't leave the boy behind if she could help it. They were fellow slaves here, and if they didn't watch out for each other, no one would.

Even if he was just a human.

She steered her fragile vessel around, spiraling down. Another gust of wind sent her skimming low over the castle roof, then down to the gravel courtyard, past Kouga's startled muzzle, and over to the edge of the pillared verandah.

Kagura reached out in passing, and caught the boy by the collar of his armor-suit, hauling him on board. She felt like screaming at the pain in her arm, but she managed to get him safely positioned in her lap.

"No!" she heard someone scream, and looked back over her shoulder to see Kohaku's sister sprinting toward them.

But they were already aloft again, and rapidly leaving the building behind. Kagura braced herself for one last nasty surprise--more purifying arrows, perhaps--but nothing came.

The wind carried them in Naraku's stinking wake. Kagura sat stiffly upright on her feather, holding on to the battered boy with one hand, and directing their passage with subtle movements of her fan with the other.

She had done it. She had survived the invaders.

Unfortunately, so had her master.

Those pitifully weak humans and youkai! They failed again!

Someday...someday, she would finally escape Naraku's clutches. She would reclaim her heart from whatever corner her master was hiding it, and then she would fly away.

She was the mistress of the winds.

And yet, the smallest breeze possessed what she did not: freedom.


Buffy the Youkai Slayer by Sharibet
This fanfic is complete.
 


Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/timseltzer.html


This site is published by Samizdat Express, Orange, CT info@seltzerbooks.com   
privacy statement

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.com