Richard Seltzer's home page  Publishing home

Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings

Chapter 5: Okina's surprise

A Fanfiction by: John the Visionary, Docwho4243@aol.com


This is a work in progress (not yet complete). It is the best combination of anime and Lord of the Rings that I've seen yet,  which is why I asked John for permission to post it here.  Enjoy.  Tim Seltzer


John's Disclaimer: Disclaimer: I do not own Rurouni Kenshin or Lord of the Rings. RK is the property of Nobuhiro Watsuki and Lord of the Rings is the property of Professor J. R. R. Tolkien. By the way, this fanfiction is taken pretty much from the movie directed by Peter Jackson. I, like many of you, can't wait when Return of the King comes out. This is not for profit, only for entertainment.


Summary: Here it is folks, a crossover between Rurouni Kenshin and Lord of the Rings. In this Kenshin & company defend middle earth and at the same time help a certain hobbit destroy the ring of power.


It was morning over Kyoto. Kenshin Himura is still frozen with shock to last night's battle in the mountains. He now wonders if the time has come for him to experience the tale in which Radagast told him about 9 years ago. Kaoru notices Kenshin's shock and went up to him.

"Good morning, Kenshin, is something the matter? Is everything all right?" pondered Kaoru. There was a brief, but long moments of silence.

Kenshin finally answered, "I hope so Miss Kaoru, that I do."

"But you seem… surprised somehow," said Kaoru.

"Indeed I am, and yet I'm not surprised, that I'm not. I can't exactly explain it Miss Kaoru, but somehow, I've been expecting these monster occurrences for a very long time now." Kaoru was entirely speechless.

Kenshin continued, "…I don't know how, but you might say, that I was told to expect this event was to take place, that I most certainly was." The remark left Kaoru even more speechless and even shocked to hear it…

Yahiko, walked into the couple, "hey guys, rise and shine. Today's the old man's birthday!" Yahiko was, for a moment ignored, then…

"Oh sorry, Yahiko! We totally spaced out, that we did!" Kenshin said nervously.

"Yeah, shame on us! It's Okina's birthday!" Kaoru said and laughed even more nervously. Yahiko became dumbfounded.

The group set out for the Aoiya restaurant. It was 11o'clock in the morning. Misao was at the front door to greet them. "Hey guys, Kuro took Gramps out to for shopping a few minutes ago. We're already setting up in here, would you like to help?" asked Misao.

"Sure, Miss Misao, that we most certainly will," smiled Kenshin.

They walked inside the restaurant and were greeted by two other female acquaintances. "Hello, Mr. Himura, nice to see you again."

"Nice to see you Miss Omasu," said Kenshin.

Then the other went up to Kenshin with a determined face, "Hey, Himura, I'd like to ask you one thing."

Kenshin tensed up, "Uh, sure Miss Ochika."

Omasu did the same thing.

Suddenly…

"HAVE YOU TOLD YOUR MASTER ABOUT US!" they both said excitedly as they both drooled at the same time.

Kenshin was embarrassed at this remark, "…uh, no I haven't. He's not really that fond of seeing me lately." They were both discouraged to hear that.

"Besides, I think it's too early for trying to have a date with my master, that I do. You have heard about these occurrences of monsters, haven't you?" stated Kenshin.

Ochika began her statement cluelessly, "yeah, we do."

"But," started Omasu, "if we're in trouble…"

"…As we doubt will ever happen," added Ochika.

"We want your master to be there to save us as he did when we were attacked by Fuji," they both said dreamingly. Kenshin became even more dumbfounded.

Shiro gave off a humph at the ladies' behavior. 'Women', he thought.

Megumi smirked as she spoke to Kenshin, "Sir Ken, is your master really that strong?"

"Uh, yeah, he is," Kenshin said nervously. "He's the successor to the Hiten Mitsurugi Style. He's very strong, that he is."

"Not to mention irritating," said Yahiko with irritation in his voice.

The setup continued. The children assisted Megumi with the food along with Ochika and Omasu. Shiro and Sanosuke try to put up a banner with the happy birthday logo on it. Kenshin while helping with setup continues to have that disturbed look on his face. Kaoru and Misao, while also setting up notice Kenshin's behavior.

"Hey, Miss Kaoru, Himura doesn't seem so happy today," said Misao.

"I know, Misao," started Kaoru.

"He's been acting this way since morning. Do you remember telling us about the appearance of the monsters?" Misao nodded.

Kaoru then continued, "well it may seem strange, but… he told me this morning that he was somehow… expecting these monsters to appear."

"You mean," Misao said gasping. "Himura said… he expected them to come?"

"Yes, says that he has been told when it would happen."

Misao was speechless for a moment. "…Have you asked Himura how he was told?"

"Actually, thanks to Yahiko, I wasn't able to ask that."

Misao regained her wits, "well, we'll just have to wait until Gramps comes back to see the surprise waiting for him." Kaoru nodded in agreement.

Yahiko stood at the upstairs balcony, trying to spot Okina. Then he sees the old man approaching with the big man, Kuro. Yahiko hurried downstairs, "Hey! Hey you guys! Okina's back with Kuro!"

The crowd was just about finished with their setup. Misao opted to help Okina's groceries. "Hi Gramps, welcome back."

"Good afternoon Misao, said Okina, "I sure hope Aoshi can find out the source of these occurrences of monsters."

"Hey, no sweat, Gramps. Let me help you with that."

"Oh thank you Misao," said Okina.

"In fact," interjected Kuro, "both Misao and myself have something to tell you that'll keep your mind off of the monsters."

"I hope so," Okina said sheepishly.

"Believe me, Gramps, you'll love what we've got to tell you, but you'll have to come with me," insisted Misao.

Okina went along with it. "Okay Misao, what is it?" he followed Misao.

They reached the door and Misao opened the door for Okina to come in and then…

"SURPRISE! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

Okina was very surprised at this, it was his birthday. He completely crashed on the floor and quickly sat up, "OH, I DON'T BELIEVE THIS! IT'S ACTUALLY MY BIRTHDAY! THANK YOU ALL!" Okina cried with joy.

The party was ecstatic. There were lots of dancing, games, and everything anybody could want on his birthday. Okina enjoyed himself immensely. He sat by Kenshin, "I'm glad that you could come, Himura. It's been a while, after Shishio."

"Yes indeed it has, Sir Okina," Kenshin grinned, "Misao has had the pleasure of inviting me personally, that she has."

Sanosuke, Shiro, and Kuro brought out many bottles of Sake. They decided to have a sake-drinking contest to see who passes out first. "You guys are going down," said Sanosuke.

"No way, Sano!" cried Shiro and Kuro in unison.

The trio drank their bottles very fast. Once they were done with the first bottles, they grabbed other bottles and drank them down very fast as well. Misao, Omasu, and Ochika cheered for Shiro and Kuro, while Megumi, Yahiko, and Kaoru cheered for Sanosuke. The two children cried out, "go, go, go, go, go, go…!"

Minute after minute, second after second, Sano, Shiro, and Kuro drank their sake. But moments later…all three of them passed out. Everyone went embarrassed to see all three of them faint.

"Oh well," said Megumi, grinning and laughing like a fox, "you can't win 'em all."

"You'll never change, Megumi," said Kaoru.

Kenshin and Okina continued their conversation, "It seems that this old man's life still has some good years left ahead of him, isn't that so?" asked Kenshin.

"Indeed." Okina stretched himself out for a moment. "I never thought something this good would make me take my mind off these monster occurrences."

Kenshin changed his face immediately after mentioning the monster sightings. "Does it affect you in some way, Himura?" inquired Okina.

"Actually," Kenshin admitted, "it does affect me greatly, Sir Okina, that it does."

"How," wondered Okina.

"…It all started…" Kenshin began…


The others, inside the Aoiya, began a little sing and dance.

"Hey, Sano," said Megumi, "why don't we have a little dance, now?"

"Please, Megumi, I don't even dance good," replied Sanosuke, "why don't you ask Kenshin?

"I thought I'd leave that to Kaoru."

Kaoru was taken back by what Megumi said. "Gee, Megumi," she said, blushing, "I never thought you were the type to trust me with Kenshin."

"Yeah," interjected Yahiko, "besides, Megumi, I still think you and Sanosuke fit well together."

Megumi and Sanosuke slapped Yahiko as they both yelled out, "YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING!"

Yahiko slowly recovered from the hits that he received. "Well," he said, "at least you're not as gloomy as Aoshi."

An insulted Misao went out and kicked Yahiko. "You little shrimp! I'll teach you to talk that way about Lord Aoshi!" She tortured Yahiko by pulling his legs, twisting them.

Kaoru joined in, "yeah, let's give Yahiko what he deserves, Misao. Besides, he'd never ask Tsubame out for a dance!"

"Would you stop talking about Tsubame…OUCH!" yelled out Yahiko.


Moments later after the party was still going, "I see," said Okina with a stern voice, "so you've been somehow told to expect that this would happen."

Kenshin nodded.

Okina went on, "Himura, I've known you to be a man of great secrets. One who has been through a lot of misery and death in your time, which is the reason why I respect you so much."

"Yes, Sir Okina," said Kenshin, "…and I've always felt a deep respect for you as well. Out of everyone throughout Japan, you're the only person who truly understands me, that you are."

Okina felt grateful for Kenshin's gratitude. He then asked, "so you believe that this story that this Radagast person told you is somehow connected with these occurrences?"

"I think so," replied Kenshin. A moment of silence followed between them…

Ayame then ran into Kenshin from inside, "Uncle Kenny, Mr. Okina, its time to cut the cake!"

"Yeah, Uncle Kenny, time for cake," said Suzume. And so, they abandoned their conversation, and went for cake. As they went inside…

Kenshin and Okina see a mangled Yahiko beside Kaoru and Misao.

"What happened to Yahiko?" asked Kenshin.

"Just teaching the shrimp some manners, Himura," replied Misao. She and Kaoru grinned at each other.


Meanwhile, in the realm of Middle-Earth, in the Shire, Bilbo's birthday party concluded with a most shocking end. They crowd saw Bilbo vanish before their eyes. He has already left the shire, without anybody noticing. Gandalf just bade Bilbo farewell to his old friend at the door of his house. He then re-entered Bilbo's former estate to become Frodo's new home to himself. He saw the ring on the floor that Bilbo was so reluctant to give up. With caution, as well as curiosity, he lowered his hand toward the ring suddenly…

AAACK!

Gandalf saw a flash of a fiery eye and quickly took his hand away from the ring and left it on the floor, leaving Gandalf to be even more frightened of the ring…

Gandalf sat by the fireplace pondering what Bilbo was saying so covetously… Its mine, my own, my precious.

"Riddles in the dark… my precious," Gandalf muttered to himself as he smoked his pipe. Suddenly, someone was calling for Bilbo. It was Frodo at the front door.

"Bilbo!" called Frodo. As he did, Gandalf muttered some more, "my precious." Gandalf keeps muttering and pondering to himself as Frodo spotted the ring on the floor and picked it up.

"He's gone, hasn't he," wondered Frodo, "he talked so long about leaving. I didn't think he'd really do it." He came up to the wizard, "Gandalf?"

Gandalf then stopped smoking his pipe and turned to Frodo and looked at him and the ring he has in his hand. "Hm, Bilbo's ring," the wizard said as he grinned.

Gandalf sat at a table with an envelope in his hand. Frodo remained standing. "He's gone to stay with the Elves," he announced, "he's left you, Bag End…"

Gandalf held the envelope up to Frodo and Frodo slipped the ring inside of it. Gandalf then lowered the envelope and sealed it with wax, "…along with all of his possessions. The ring is yours now." He said as he gave the envelope to Frodo.

"Put it somewhere out of sight," instructed Gandalf. He then started on his way out, so suddenly…

"Where are you going?" asked Frodo.

"I have some things I must see to," answered Gandalf.

"What things?"

"Questions," Gandalf answered again as he gathered his hat and staff, "questions that need answering!"

"You've only just arrived!" cried Frodo, "I don't understand."

Gandalf stopped at the door and turned around to face Frodo. "Neither do I," said Gandalf.

Minding the chandelier, he ducked towards Frodo one last time and instructed him, "…keep it secret… keep it safe."

Gandalf then turned around, went out the door and closed it, leaving Frodo to wonder what to do with the ring that Bilbo left him. What shall he do to keep it safe as Gandalf wanted?


Back in Kyoto, in Japan, the cake was already cut. Everyone enjoyed the cake. It was very delicious. Unaware, the party was about to see something that may shock them. Somebody was approaching the Aoiya, and knocked on the front door.

Everyone heard the loud knock. Misao opted to go to the door. She hoped it was her Lord Aoshi. When she went to the door, she almost wishes it wasn't Aoshi…

"LORD AOSHI!" Misao screamed very loud…

Everyone at the party was shocked to hear Misao screaming even Ayame and Suzume was frightened at her screams. Kenshin put on his cautious expression. Footsteps came to the room where the party was, the door opened…

Misao came in along with two others…

It was Saito and Aoshi holding on to each other and looking torn up like a monster had attacked them. Everyone was shocked to see what lies before them. The children were frightened and hid behind Megumi. Saito was suffering a wound in the stomach which, he held his hand onto. Aoshi, on the other hand, had a big bite in his leg, limping. But luckily, it wasn't bitten off clean.

"Aoshi! Saito!" cried Kenshin as the injured men collapsed onto the floor…


Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings Believe it or not, there's more, lot's more to come. This is a work in progress. Yikes!!!
 


Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim/timseltzer.html

seltzer@seltzerbooks.com  privacy statement

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.c

 

Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim/timseltzer.html

seltzer@seltzerbooks.com  privacy statement

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.c