Fox Hunt

By dave-d
 

Chapter 16



Summary: What is going on? Why do all the girls that Naruto knows want him to father their children? Answer: Kitsune.

 (Tim Seltzer, seltzer@seltzerbooks.com)



Disclaimer: No own, no mula, no sue. 

The odors coming from the kitchen area were savory and wholesome.

Hinata insisted on doing the cooking herself, even though her father would gladly lend her bakers and chefs from his cooking staff.

While it had taken Hyuuga Hiashi a while to get over his objection to his daughter’s marriage, he had been won over the moment he held his first grandchildren.

“I don’t think he’ll ever quite accept the arrangement,” she said to herself. “Sometimes I have trouble with it too.” She smiled, thinking about the situation they all found themselves in. Adding a few more ingredients to a stew she was making, she listened intently for any sound of a squabble.

The children were behaving well that afternoon. No doubt her daughter was keeping her brother and half-brothers in line. The smallest of the bunch, she turned out to be the bossiest, even though she was the spiting image of her mother.

“Something smells great!” Naruto walked into the kitchen, back from his morning session with the city council. He was spending more and more time with administrators and village officials, in preparation for the day that Tsunade finally stepped down. “The food smells great, too.” He nuzzled her neck, causing her to shiver all over.

Hinata put her spoon down and wrapped her arms around her husband. There were times when she missed going on missions with him; but, she had found a much more rewarding place at home raising the children. That didn’t mean that she had let her skills fade, however. Any enemy foolish enough to attack their home would get a rather rude awakening.

They had a few minutes to talk quietly, before the first small head peeked around the kitchen door. After that, things took their usual course.

“DADDY’S HOME!”

Soon, the sound of a small stampede could be heard. Two sets of twins fought for position, each child trying to be the first to reach their father. Naruto created four clones. While he hugged Hinata, the copies of him reached out and took the squirming children in their arms.

“We want the real Daddy,” the girl cried.

“That’s right!” All three boys shouted at the same time.

“So, you sure you want more?” Naruto reached out and touched Hinata’s belly tenderly. She hadn’t started to show yet. His bet was on twins again.

“Yes.” Hinata smiled happily. Before she had gone to that temple with Naruto and Kuko, she had been barren, but never knew it. Having been gifted with fertility, she felt a need to have a large family. It would be a way to say thanks to Shakti, even though that goddess didn‘t have a presence in this realm. But, it also meant that Naruto wouldn’t be hers and hers alone.

“Good.” Naruto kissed her, causing the kids to fuss and try to break free. “Me too.” He never knew just how much it would mean to him, being a father. Not having known his father or mother, and forced to grow up without siblings and cousins, he felt blessed to have a family of his own.

“Mother Hinata, is my other mother coming today?” One of the boys scratched his head. He was a spitting image of his father, down the piercing blue eyes and the unruly blonde hair. His brother looked on intently, his feelings mixed. Uzumaki Hinata was his mother in most ways. But, Kuko was his mother by birth. Being human, he and his sib stayed with their father, while their two kitsune sisters lived with their true mother.

“Yes she is, Shinrin.“ Hinata wriggled free of Naruto’s embrace, needing to take something out of the oven. “Your sisters will be coming to see you and their father, too.”

“I hope that’s all she wants to see,” Naruto said. If Kuko was in heat again, he was obliged to see to her needs. That was not a deal that the Hokage had made with the kitsune. It was part of something that had started during their visit to the other Realm.

“Hush,” Hinata said, making a face. That was not the kind of thing that he needed to talk about around the children.

“I knew she was coming,” Hinata’s son Toukon said, winking at his sister Takara. “Mom never buys squirrel unless the foxes come to visit.” That was one of his little jokes. His mother would never cook squirrel.

“Hey!” Shinrin and his brother Yama spoke up at the same time.

“Toukon.” Naruto made a stern face, much like the one Jiraiya had used on him during training. “What did I tell you about that?”

“I was only joking, Father.” Toukon stood with his hands on his hips. His blue eyes flashed, before he began shuffling his feet. “I love them too.”

“We’re family,” the four children said at once, as if their father was missing in mental faculties.

“Yes we are.” Naruto struck a Gai-like pose. Light shone off of his teeth.

The kids all slapped their heads, put their heads together, and began giggling. “You looked just like ‘Uncle’ Lee.” Yama said.

“And ‘Uncle’ Gai,” Shinrin added.

“Two’s enough,” Toukon said, sticking out his lower lip. “No matter what Meiyo and Eikou say.” Those were Lee’s boy and girl.

“Uncle Neji and Aunt Ten Ten will agree with you there,” Hinata said. “But, if any of you repeat that…”

“We’ll be in more trouble than Daddy was…” Shinrin said. “…When he brought back noodles instead of meat last week.”

“Not that much trouble,” Naruto said, winking. “This is not nearly so bothersome.”

“’Uncle’ Shika!” The kids all smiled. They had a lot of ‘Aunts’ and ‘Uncles.’ That also meant that they had a large number of ready playmates close to them in age.

“I hope you made a lot of food for dinner tonight.” Takara tried to speak in a deep voice.

“’Uncle Choji!” The other three children held their stomachs and looked over at the fresh bread that Hinata had placed on the counter to cool.

“Alright, you monkeys, who am I doing now?” Naruto ran a hand through his hair. He frowned and stayed that way.

“’Uncle’ Sasuke!” The kids all struck similar poses.

“Pervert!” Toukon said, doing his imitation. That earned him a shake of the finger from his mother.

“’Aunt Sakura!” Takara said. “Daddy… what’s a pervert?”

“’Great Uncle’ Jiraiya,” Naruto answered quickly.

“Ohhhhh-hhhh-hhh-hh-h…” The kids eyes went very wide. They truly loved seeing the Frog Hermit. He told great stories about their father, and always brought interesting gifts. But, half of the presents were always confiscated by their father.

“So… does that mean that you will end up like him?” Yama scratched the back of his neck. Sakura always called Naruto ‘Pervert,’ because he kept threatening to show her a new perverted jutsu, even though he hadn’t made use of one in years.

“No!” Hinata said quickly.

“You kids keep from talking about perverts,” Naruto said sternly, clear evidence that he wasn’t joking. “And, don’t mention our joke about pink-haired Uchiha boys, either.” He couldn’t help but smirk. Uchiha Saisei might well end up to be an even stronger shinobi than his father. But, he had his mother’s hair. Sasuke had been in a funk for more than a week after his firstborn child’s delivery. “You guys are going over there to play today, so that Mommy and Daddy can have some quiet time with Kuko.”

“Man!” Shinrin stamped his foot. His tone of voice owed a lot to his mother. “Couldn’t we go over to ‘Uncle’ Kiba’s instead, and play with the puppies.

“Well-l-l-l-l… he’s off on a mission,” Naruto said, pulling Hinata close for a hug again. “But, ‘Uncle’ Shino’s probably back now. You could play with bugs instead.”

“Blech!” “No way!” “Gag!” “I’d rather play with myself!”

“Toukon!” Hinata shook a spoon at her son.

“He didn’t mean that,” Naruto whispered. But, he forgot that his children by Kuko had supernaturally good hearing.

“What kind of ‘that,’ Father.” Yama raised an eyebrow, much the way his father and mother both had a habit of doing.

The bell at the front door rang. That saved Naruto from answering. Hinata told Naruto that all of the children were so much like him, and that she couldn’t be more thrilled.

“That’s right. No shy dark weirdoes amongst my kids.” Naruto kissed Hinata on the forehead. “I’ve got the only one of those. Except you’re not shy, dark, or weird anymore.”

“Except when we play,” Hinata said, bumping her hip against his.

“Yes… well… that’s right…” Naruto actually blushed. “Ahem. No more of that talk. That will be Kuko and the girls.” he sighed. It was going to be very hard being the father of kitsune girls, if he was still alive when they reached sexual maturity.

“You two weren’t thinking about doing it on the kitchen floor, were you?” Kuko walked in, looking as lovely as usual. Her hearing was still phenomenal. “Again?” She rushed to embrace Hinata. “Sister.” That was a term of endearment now. She never used her mocking ‘Little Sister’ any more, unless they were reminiscing about their momentous journey.

“Where are the girls?” Naruto looked down at the floor, expecting to see a pair of foxes running about.

“I’m certain they’ll be in soon.” Kuko walked over, winked at Hinata, and the gave Naruto a long and deep kiss that left him breathless. After that, she goosed him pretty hard. “They’re showing off for the others. I won’t ruin the surprise for you.”

Sure enough, two beautiful looking young foxes came padding into the room. When they sat down on the floor in front of their father to have their ears scratched, they caught him by surprise. Each took the form of a girl of appropriate age. That was new.

“Look father!” Tani said, pirouetting.

“We’re perfect in every way!” Sora claimed.

“Except for the clothes.” Naruto shook his head. Both of his kitsune daughters were naked. “You did teach them about clothing, didn’t you Kuko?” It seemed that young girls in kitsune form looked a good bit more developed than their human counterparts.

“Clothing?” Tani winked at her mother.

“What’s that?” Sora tried to look serious.

“Must have slipped my mind.” Kuko grinned. Her daughters were soon clothed. “You two didn’t play that trick when you met your brothers, did you?” She tapped one finger against her cheek, watching Hinata’s expression. She was very much the prude where it came to her offspring. Humans were silly that way.

Tani and Sora looked at one another and shrugged. Then, Sora asked “Mother, what are hooters?” Tani guessed ‘owls.’

“Breasts, dear.” Kuko looked over at Naruto. “Let me guess who taught the boys that one.” She licked her lips. “Good for you!” She smiled. “Sorry, sister.”

“We arranged for the children to play over at the Uchiha estate today,” Hinata said, only in part to change the subject. “Sakura had the day off from the medical center.”

“Mmmm-mmm-mm-m… I should stop by and say ‘Hello’.” Kuko chuckled. “It was her mistake that got everything started back then, wasn’t it?” She reached up and put her arms around Naruto’s neck. She whispered “Don’t worry, I’m not in heat this trip. If I was, I would have left the girls with Shakko and Nogitsune.”

“Great!” Naruto said, quickly taking a step back when he saw the look in Kuko’s eyes. “I mean, too bad.” He swallowed hard, seeing the look on Hinata’s face. He decided to walk over and speak with his kitsune children for a few minutes, congratulating them on their new abilities. After that, he would take them over to the Uchiha estate.

“I’d like to spend some time with the boys,” Kuko said to Hinata. “I know they probably wonder why I spend so much time amongst the kitsune, and so little time with them.” She paused. “That might change soon.”

“Oh?” Hinata too a few minutes to stir her stew again. It was one of Kuko’s favorite dishes.

“Sora and Tani want to spend time around their father.” She spoke more quietly, after Naruto left the room with the other two. “It might be that they’re drawn to the presence of Kyuubi. Or, it might simply be the fact that they are kitsune with human genes. No one knows for sure. It’s quite unprecedented.”

“I see…” Hinata tried to keep her feelings off of her face. It was an ungracious way to think.

“I’m sorry this bothers you,” Kuko said, reaching out and grabbing Hinata’s hand. “I know how much Naruto means to you. I know how heavily the geas must be.”

“It’s alright,” Hinata said. “If I never went on that adventure with you, I probably never would have won his heart.” She smiled a moment, thinking about how her life had changed when they got back. Then, she looked down at her feet for a moment, remembering walking into a room at the temple, finding Kuko in the process of having an intimate encounter with Naruto. “If the shaman hadn’t healed me, I wouldn’t have found that I was infertile. If I didn’t answer the Yaksha’s riddles correctly, I wouldn’t be able to have children at all.”

“That’s true,” Kuko said. “Can I help you cook anything?” That was one of their jokes. Hinata was the ultimate domestic woman. Kuko was the furthest thing from that. Her face changed. “You would have been dead if you answer the riddles incorrectly.”

The two women were silent for a few moments, each thinking back to their dealings with Yakshas. The strange creatures had blanked part of Hinata’s memory, in such a manner that her memories didn’t return until she was thinking about having children. That time, shortly after she married Naruto, brought with it an unexpected and unwanted burden.

“Yes,” Hinata said. “But, I couldn’t die then. There was no way I could leave Naruto to you.” She reached out and squeezed Kuko’s hand.

“Do you want to have more children?” Kuko accepted Hinata’s offer to sit and have some tea. Naruto would probably stay and talk with Sakura for a while.

“I do,” Hinata said. She swallowed hard. “And you?”

Kuko nodded her head. Her eyes looked troubled. There was something that Hinata would not want to hear. “I love my daughters dearly,” she said. “And…” Usually she could just come out and say things, especially to humans. But, Hinata was different. She truly thought of her as if she were a member of the Family.

“The others want children.” Hinata sighed. She was certain that had to be the answer. “You’ve offered to let some of them take your time?”

“I couldn’t turn them down any more,” Kuko said. “But, it won’t be the same.” She lowered her eyes. “I don’t come by every time I’m in heat.” It was difficult, but she fought the urges out of deference to Hinata and Naruto. “You will need to share Naruto more than ever before.”

“I knew that day would come sooner or later,” Hinata said. “But, I can’t be selfish. I have had the blessings of the geas. There’s a price to pay, too. I knew that when I promised to pay the cost.” She managed a smile. “It will make Tenko and the others happy, too. I wish they stopped by more often. I mean…”

“I know what you mean,” Kuko said. “You’ll be seeing them more, but not for social visits. Because they don’t know how long you may want to have children, Naruto may be pretty busy over the next couple of years.”

“That’s what Shakti said,” Hinata replied. “I think she must have a soft spot for kitsune.”

Shakti was the Divine Mother in that other Realm, the goddess who represented the active, dynamic principles of feminine power. Before being brought to where Kuko had been trying to conceive with Naruto, Hinata had been brought to a room much like the set aside for Virudhaka. When Shakti manifested in Hinata’s mind, she offered the young woman a choice. As long as she allowed the kitsune women to have access to Naruto, she herself would be able to have children, if the boy with Kyuubi some day took her as his bride.

“Maybe,” Kuko said. “She and Inari don’t always get along, when Inari is in her female form.” She shrugged. Even as a myobu, she didn’t understand the relationships of the various beings spread throughout the Planes. “Did she tell you why you were infertile?”

“Yes,” Hinata said. “It had nothing to do with me, personally. That makes it hard to take, sometimes.” She sighed. “She said that goddesses play many roles. They are mothers, protectors, and mediators… but, they are also inducers of chaos. She also mentioned karma. She said I was obliged to suffer the repercussions of my actions in past lives.“

“But…“ Kuko made a face. Once again, she didn’t want to try and figure things out. “Sorry. Go on.”

“Shakti told me a folk story from the Mahabharata to illustrate the point.” Hinata got up and put a covered dish into the oven. “She said that at the end of a great war, queen Gandhari was informed that all of her one hundred children were dead. She wept and sought a reason for that unfair situation. She found the answer with a sage, who told her ‘In your last life, you sat on a stone under which there were a hundred turtle eggs. The eggs were crushed. So the mother-turtle cursed you that you too would experience the loss of hundred children‘.”

“I’m surprise Naruto hasn’t turned into a turnip or something,” Kuko said. “With the way he acts, he must have enough bad karma for the entire human species.”

“Sometimes he acts about as bright as a turnip,” Hinata said, grinning. She brought Kuko a plate of pastries she had made the night before. “Maybe having Kyuubi inside of him gave him a free pass or something.”

“Or maybe, having to put up with so many females is the price that he has to pay.” Kuko smiled and checked her nails. “A lot of men would consider that a dream come true. But not him.” She smiled at Hinata. “That’s what makes him special, right?”

“Right.” Hinata nodded.

“Are you two talking about me again?” Naruto had come right back after dropping off the children. “That kind of thing had better stop when I’m Hokage.” He sat down and hooked one foot over the back of a chair until he saw Hinata purse her lips.

“I’m afraid that things will only get worse.” Kuko smiled. “Do you want to tell him sister, or should I?”

“Be my guest,” Hinata said, watching her husband’s face closely.

Naruto didn’t take things as well as Hinata had. He truly had strong feelings for Kuko and the others, but had a natural desire to be true to Hinata. Still, as long as Hinata knew that, he would do whatever was necessary to make sure that she could have the children that she wanted. He would do anything to make her happy, even if it meant doing some things that left her less than pleased.

“Just another thing to blame on the damn fox.” Naruto made a face. “Uhhh. I mean Kyuubi…” He swallowed hard, not wanting to get Kuko pissed at him. “So… is there another reason you chose now to visit…not that I’m unhappy top see you and the girls.”

“Yes,” Kuko said. “I didn’t just stop by to tell you to get your strength up.” She fluffed her hair. “Tenko sent me with a message for the Hokage. She is calling on the treaty again.”

“What?” Naruto stood up. “After all the trouble we had last time!” He clenched his fists. He had been sent out on that mission. The kitsune women had been there as well, and as fate had it, they were in estrous. He hadn’t given in to anyone but Kuko; but, it had been a major pain in the rear end fighting off the advances of the other myobu.

“What goes around comes around,” Kuko said, feeling no need to apologize. “We helped you bring that Uchiha boy back. We brought other families to your aid, when we assisted in the destruction of Akatsuki. We were instrumental in the downfall of that disgusting man.” By that she meant Orochimaru.

“I know… but…” Naruto smacked a hand hard against the table. The tea cups jumped, but remained upright.

“It was just Kappa,” Kuko said, winking at Hinata. The whole Kappa business had been rather messy.

“Just Kappa?” Naruto frowned. “Just Kappa?” He shook his head, thinking back to that mission. He had been in command. “If it had been ‘just’ anything, you wouldn’t have come begging for help.” He pointed his finger at her, jumping when she bent over and bit it. “They never would have come back to our world if it wasn’t for something the kitsune did!” Merely a legend at one point, there had been few Kappa left anywhere near the Fire Country for centuries. When they started popping up everywhere, the shinobi of a number of nations had needed to act togrther.

“It didn’t help that the Sound tried to ally themselves with the Kappa, much the way the Leaf has a deal with you and the families.” Hinata walked over and kissed Naruto’s bitten finger.

“That was quite amusing, actually.” Kuko laughed. “Seeing that Kappa cannot stand loud noises.” She looked over at Naruto. “No doubt that was why your Hokage chose him to lead the mission.”

Hinata began giggling. That stopped when Naruto looked hurt. She smiled, knowing he was putting on a big act. He leaned back in his chair with his hands behind his head, knowing that she knew. “If all it took was noise to drive those bastards away, a bunch of kitsune female would have been more than enough.”

Kuko kicked Naruto’s chair backwards. He flailed his arms, but couldn’t maintain balance. Both the chair and the ninja in it came crashing to the kitchen floor. “We had matters in hand,” she said. “Until we were bothered by the damned mikkyo. There were even more this time.”

“I don’t know why you didn’t ask Granny Tsunade to simply send us out to cut the balls off of the mikkyo.” Naruto picked himself up. “That would have ended that problem once and for all. “What?” He saw the look his wife gave him.

“We did,” Kuko said. It didn’t sound like she was joking. But with her, it was hard to tell sometimes. “Your leader didn’t see that as an honorable request. I bet she would have changed her mind if she had a bunch of sex-crazed kitsune males chasing after her!”

“I’m just glad that Hinata was pregnant at the time. I didn’t want her fighting those disgusting things.“ Naruto wrinkled up his nose. The Kappa had a very strong fish smell. They weren’t particularly pleasant to look at either, having the body of a tortoise, an ape-like head, scaly limbs, long hair circling the skull, webbed feet and hands, and yellow-green skin. “But, they do make nice tables.”

“Naruto!” Hinata shook her head. Naruto wasn’t talking about the Kappa’s being skilled craftsmen. They weren’t. He meant that the large tortoise shells attached to their backs could be used for all manner of arts and crafts.

“Hey, it’s true! I don’t know why you made me throw mine out. I earned it!“ Naruto looked over at the kitsune. “Kuko would have let me keep it.”

“Mmmm hmmm,“ Kuko said. “I also would have asked you to make me a big bed and headboard too.“ She licked her lips.

“Would have made a nice cradle for the babies, too.” Naruto stuck out his lower lip, sounding miffed. “Though, it would have been better if the stuff could still change color after they die. That would be every woman’s dream. Shoes that could be any color they like.” Kappas can change color just like chameleons.

“Uzumaki Naruto.” Hinata looked cross. “Those are living creatures you are talking about.”

“Not any more,” Kuko said.

“And you… I would be very grateful if you didn’t encourage him…” Hinata gave the kitsune woman a pointed look.

“I know how you feel, love.” Naruto looked apologetic. “But, you didn’t see what I saw.” About the size of a child aged six to ten years old, the Kappa had been incredibly strong. They had attacked horses, cattle, and humans, usually dragging their prey into the water. “They were feeding on the blood of farmers and their children. Those poor souls were fighting to hold onto their homes and villages. None of them could just pick up and leave like the kitsune did.”

Hinata’s hands twitched. She imagined one of the hideous creatures bursting into her house, or grabbing one of her children when they wandered to close to a stream or well.

“They drained away the life force or some people; pulled out their livers through their anuses; and sucked out their entrails, leaving nothing behind except a body like a hollow gourd .” Naruto looked over at the stove. It was not the most appetizing subject of conversation. “There was also tales of them raping women and children.”

Hinata swallowed hard. This brought back bad memories. She had heard the terrible tales, when her husband had gone off to fight the scaly plague. Left at home pregnant with twins, she was afraid every time the telephone rang, or a messenger from the Hokage checked up on her.

“The courtesy card didn’t play too well,” Kuko said, remembering fighting by Naruto’s side. She hadn’t known that she was pregnant with his children at the time, too. “Well, not in the usual way…” She smiled, looking at Naruto as she continued talking to Hinata. “You know the Kappa have that hollow cavity atop their heads. It holds a strength-giving fluid. If one can play on the instinctive courtesy of the Kappa by bowing and getting them to bow in return, the fluid spills out, making it feeble.”

“Did you try being courteous?” Hinata looked at Naruto, a knowing look on her face.

“He did,” Kuko said, smiling. “That’s how we won our largest confrontation. He created a large number of clones… they bowed… when the Kappa bowed in return, the clones kicked them hard in their heads.” She blew Naruto a kiss. It hadn’t been honorable, but she didn’t view Kappa as being worthy of such things.

“It worked!” Naruto held up his hands. He knew how picky Hinata could be about honor sometimes.

“It’s who you are, dear.” Hinata surprised them both by smiling. That sounded so much like something Naruto would do. How could she be angry at him, recalling how he used to behave when she secretly watched him?

“It didn’t sit too well with the Kappa,” Kuko said. “They may be evil, but they are always honest.”

“True,“ Naruto said. “When captured and forced to promise never again to harm anyone, the Kappa always keeps its promise.” He tugged at one ear. “They also help or mentor those who outwit them or capture them. That played a big role in our eventual victory.”

“So the official story goes.“ Kuko smiled when Naruto shook his head and began pleading with his yes. “They also like to challenge humans to single combat. Lover boy took down a large number that way, too.” She looked over at Hinata. “Did he ever tell you how he finally got the best of them?”

“I guess not…” Hinata narrowed her eyes. Naruto knew better than to keep secrets from her.

“It was for the honor of the Leaf,” Naruto claimed quickly. “The other nations played a part in the battle, but we were able to claim victory. The final battle took place between my forces and those of the Kappa.” He coughed. “I asked all of the shinobi to keep silent on their word of honor, so that the outside world would look at Konoha as the best place to hire ninjas. I couldn’t tell you anything, after asking that of them.”

“I see,” Hinata said, nodding her head. “Will you tell me now, if I promise never to tell anyone else?”

“Alright,” Naruto said. He walked over and whispered in his wife’s ear. “If you promise to take a nice long bath with me after the children go to sleep.”

“Is there room for three?” Kuko asked.

“Kappa folk have a liking for cucumbers. It’s a weakness that can be used to one’s advantage, according to one tale that Kuko had heard.” He saluted the kitsune, who then made it a point to start preening. “An offering of cucumbers etched with certain words can make a Kappa promise just about anything. We both thought it had to be a myth…” He shrugged. “…But, before the fox women appeared, I used to think they were myths too.”

“So… you bought victory with cucumbers…” Hinata’s eyes went very wide. Then, she covered her mouth with her hand. She couldn’t keep from giggling again.

“We also fought very bravely,” Naruto asserted. “It was not all fun and games.”

“I’m sure,” Hinata said, tears of mirth coming to her eyes. “Maybe they should carve a large cucumber next to your face, when you’re named Hokage.” That had Kuko laughing along with her.

“We were in quite a pickle…” Kuko spoke in a deep voice, as if recounting a past battle. “…But we got out of it with cucumbers!” That set the two women off again.

Annoyed at the teasing he was getting, Naruto decide to go over and taste the stew. He yelped when Hinata smacked his hand.

“So… Naruto… do you like getting smacked around?” Kuko yawned and stretched. “If you do, I’ll tell that to the other girls. Especially Genko. I bet she would go for that kind of kinky stuff.” After that, Naruto was able to sneak a taste without being chastised.

“You said that Tenko sent you with a message?” Hinata was still blushing. She and Naruto had a very healthy sex life, but neither of them were into whips and leather. Rumor had it that was Ino’s thing.

“Yes,” Kuko said. “This time it’s Tengu.”

“Shit!” Naruto smacked himself in the forehead. “More legendary creatures. First Kyuubi. Then kitsune. Kappas. And now Tengu.” He rubbed the side of his nose. “This isn’t a joke, is it?” He gave Kuko a baleful glance.

“I’m quite serious,” Kuko said. “A debt’s a debt. We need help from your Hokage again.” She ran a hand through her hair. “Like the kitsune and Tanuki, the Tengu can change shape. Also like us, and like those walking scrotums, the bird people have a great liking for mischief and practical jokes.”

“What happened?” Hinata asked. “Did a joke go wrong?”

“Horribly,” Kuko admitted. “I don’t care to go into the details. Suffice it to say that there is now a war between the kitsune and the Karasu Tengu. Fortunately, the Kotengu, Yamabushi, and Konsha Tengu want nothing to do with the squabble. The fighting is not going well for the families. The damned birds can teleport, and it can be hard to pin them down.”

“I remember reading that the Tengu are proud, vengeful, and easily insulted.” Naruto had read up on yokai after getting back from the temple. He wanted to learn everything about kitsune that he could, and then kept reading out of interest. “They were said to be particularly intolerant of arrogant humans, blasphemous men and women, and anyone who misuses power or knowledge for their own gain.”

“They were also supposed to take action against anyone who disrupts Tengu-inhabited forests.” Hinata tried to remember the stories that she had been told. “In some tales, they were said to pursue crooked monks, impious priests, and overly proud warriors.” She looked over at Naruto.

“What?” Naruto made a face. He was proud. Not ‘overly proud’. He sighed. It was difficult, being misunderstood. “They were also said to meddle in human political affairs in ancient times.”

“They are excellent sword-smiths, and very skilled in martial arts.” Kuko drummed her fingers on the table. She had barely escaped an encounter with a sword-wielding Tengu on her way to Konoha. “We’re not equipped to fight that kind of battle. Our edge in magic can only go so far.”

“I remember my mother telling me bedtime stories about yokai and yurei,“ Hinata said. “She told me that the Tengu are capricious creatures, who can be both benevolent and malicious. They enjoy playing pranks, like setting fires in front of temples; posing as human beings to dupe lost mountain travelers; or trapping people in illusions the way that kitsune do.”

“Yes,” Kuko said. “But don‘t make it sound like we have anything in common with those ugly brutes.” She took out a comb and began working on her hair. “They are crow-headed and man-shaped. Their heads can be red, green, or black, and they have human ears and hair. Their beaks are lined with sharp teeth, and they have clawed, birdlike hands and feet. Feathers cover their wings, tails, and bodies.” She made a face. “Some have extremely long noses.” She smiled, looking down at Naruto’s lap. “Their noses remind me of your…” She was interrupted.

“Kuko!” Hinata banged her spoon against the side of a large skillet, causing the kitsune to jump and tangle her comb painfully.

“Just be glad that we were the first ones who came calling,” Kuko said. “I can picture you with a Tengu female.” She looked over at Hinata. “Can you imagine him taking turns sitting on a large egg?”

Hinata couldn’t help but grin again. But, her face soon looked grim. She just realized that Naruto might have to go away to war again. Like the battle with the kappa, this could turn out to be something more dangerous than the kind of missions preformed against other nations and villages.

“Old Lady Tsunade might not even ask me this time,” Naruto said, correctly interpreting his spouse’s look. “She doesn’t have to send her best shinobi every time you know.” He tenderly pushed Hinata’s hair out of her face.

“No arrogant warriors here,” Kuko muttered under her breath.

“Maybe she’ll send Choji,” Naruto said, smirking. “He has a great liking for eggs. Right?” He was trying to lighten the mood. “Or Lee and Gai. The Tengu can’t be more proud then they are. Maybe this time it will be a posing contest instead of cucumbers.”

“It will be you,” Hinata said. “Because of your relationship with the kitsune.” She looked over at Kuko. “Tenko wouldn’t ask for anyone else, would she?”

“We’ll keep him safe,” Kuko promised. “You know that any one of us would die before letting any harm come to him.” She meant Naruto, not Kyuubi. No other human had ever won that kind of boon from the fox women before. “He might be able to calm things down pretty quickly.” She nodded to Naruto solemnly. “He’s gaining quite a reputation amongst the kami and other creatures.”

“If I go, I’ll bring you back enough feathers to stuff our mattress,” Naruto said. “And all of the kids’ pillows.” In a quieter voice, he said “I promise I’ll be careful. I’m not as impulsive as I used to be, now that I have you and the children.”

“I know,” Hinata said, fighting back tears. “But…” She ran and grabbed him tightly. “I don’t know what I’d do if I lost you.”

“You won’t,” Naruto said. “I once promised you that I would keep coming back. So, I don’t have any choice. It’s my Ninja Way.”

“And, he has a lot of children to father,” Kuko added helpfully. “So, there’s no way we’ll let him die any time soon.”

After that, the three of them chatted about safer topics, sharing the things they had seen and done since the last time they all sat together in that kitchen. When it started to get dark, and the dinner was almost ready, there was a knock at the door.

“If that’s Tenko and the other kitsune, tell them I have a headache!” Naruto said.

“It wasn’t a kitsune. It was Sasuke, bringing the children home.”

“Oi! Sasuke!” Naruto walked over and grabbed his friend’s hand. “Sakura cooking tonight? You’re welcome to stay and eat with us.”

“Her cooking has improved,” Sasuke said, sighing. “That’s not the problem.”

“Oh?” Hinata walked over, asking if Sasuke would like something to drink. “Something’s wrong?” It was hard to tell that from their friend’s face. Much of the time he seemed to be scowling. That was just his way.

“Your sons were playing Doctor with my eldest daughter.” Sasuke said.

“Hey, that’s only normal.” Naruto scratched the back of his neck, wondering what the big deal was. “I mean, Sakura is a medical ninja after all.”

“No… I mean they were playing Doctor…” Sasuke noticed that Kuko and Hinata caught on immediately.

Naruto’s eyes widened. He had finally figured out what Sasuke meant. “Well… I guess that is normal… the kind of thing that kids will do…” He swallowed hard. He knew how he would feel if he heard that one of Sasuke’s sons had done that with Takara.

“I understand that.” Sasuke frowned. “Sakura had a talk with the boys. You know how her talks go. I doubt they will be playing similar games any time soon.”

“What else happened?” Hinata had gotten the feeling that there must be something more.

“The two girls… your daughters…” Sasuke looked over at Kuko. “They were running naked in the yard. They also ran up and down the street. I think they may have gone off alone to visit one of the candy shops.”

“Still naked,” Naruto said, face in his hands.

“Exactly,” Sasuke said. “This is something that touches on Uchiha and Uzumaki honor.”

“And you’re telling me the other members of your kitsune family want children?” Naruto said to Kuko, leaving his face where it was. “And the same rules apply?”

“Yes,” Kuko said, smiling.

“Maybe I should make an alliance with the Tengu.” Naruto’s voice was muffled. Hinata just shook her head and smiled.

It was business as usual in the Uzumaki household.


Fox Hunt
This fanfic is complete.
 

Best Fanfics on the Web, selected by Tim
Tim Seltzer's page www.seltzerbooks.com/tim.html


Discuss books at  Blogging about Books http://www.seltzerbooks.com/blog/
Other book reviews by Richard Seltzer
Opus authors -- contemporary writers whose entire work is great
The Readers' Corner and Writers Showcase


This site is published by Samizdat Express, 213 Deerfield Lane, West Roxbury, MA 02132-002. (203) 553-9925 seltzer@seltzerbooks.com

Book collections on CD and DVD. A library for the price of a book.
Limited time offer: 2 for the price of 1
 

Return to Samizdat Express

Google
  Webseltzerbooks.com